Antwerp or Brussels for a stag do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2010, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found reading the Belgium forum really useful so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out.

I'm looking to have my stag do in Belgium. I love trappist beers and lots of the cities look beautiful but the question is which city?

My first thought was to go to Brussels and I liked the look of Delirium cafe which stocks over 2000 beers. I also saw about a club called Fuse which seemed to be just what I'm after but, from reading forums, I get the impression that Antwerp is seen as more of a party city.

I'm just wondering if people could advise me a bit? Does either have better bars? cheaper beer? etc etc? Is one a bit more tacky than the other nightlife-wise.

When I see the words 'stag do' I cringe and think of groups of chavs smashing things up and destroying places. That is not my style at all - I think of myself as a beer conoisseur and want to go to a lovely scenic place with a chance to explore the culture. I'll leave the likes of Magaluf to the chavs, Belgium seems much more my kind of thing.

Any comments appreciated.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 08:01 AM

Brussels is an easier city for a stag do, as it requires less travel to get to. Antwerp is great, but a bit smaller. It's beautiful, though. You really can't go wrong with either.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 03:29 AM

I don't know Brussels as well as Antwerp, but find Antwerp more pleasant; it's smaller, easy to get around. A lovely historical center near the Markt and Groenplaats. There's a more hip area in Zuid, near the fine arts museum.
I'm not the best person to ask about nightlife, but from what I hear;
Clubs Noxx and Pure
Cocktailbars
http://www.sips-cocktails.com/
http://www.cocktailsatnine.be/

Pubs;
http://www.cafedenengel.be/1Home/home.html
and lots of other places on the Markt.

I don't know where you are from, but Antwerp is very easy to get to from the UK; fly into Antwerp Airport, and you're in the centre of town 15 minutes after landing. Also easily reached by train from anywhere in Europe.

Stay at the Hilton, right in the middle of town, or see the 'cocktails at nine' site above, for information about Linnen (if you are looking for something a bit more exclusive).
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 03:50 AM

I'd ssecond the vote for Antwerp
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 04:00 AM

Third vote for Antwerp and second for the Hilton!
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 04:47 AM

Fourth vote for Antwerpen -- and be sure to visit Da Vagrant to try the jenevers.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 01:13 PM

I'll add my vote for Antwerp. Beers and food are generally slightly cheaper in Antwerp than in Brussels.
For a wide selection of beers (over 600), go to De Kulminator. It's not a fancy place at all, on the contrary. It is a place to sample beer. Final stop.
Other cafés, more cosy than De Kulminator, are Quinten Matsys, Paters Vaetje and 't Waagstuk.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 02:35 PM

Sixth for Antwerp. Don't miss the mussels.