Internet access Italy

Search

Internet access Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Internet access Italy

We plan a leisurely trip along the west coast of Italy north from Sicily to the Lakes in April/May. We will be using our Notebook along the way to plan and to arrange accommodation in some cases.
Can anyone comment on a good ISP which would serve us and whether or not there is much in the way of free wifi in Italy?
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 04:07 AM

Free wifi is difficult to find in Italy in general.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 02:17 PM

Internet cafes are common. You need to present a "legal ID" - passport or drivers licence to use a cafe - look for the "@" sign. Hotels frequently have terminals that guests can use. Hotels frequently charge for this!

I believe that Macdonalds fast food joints have WiFi. The down side, of course, is the food (or what they are pleased to call food).
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 02:21 PM

Free wifi is next to nonexistent in Italy. And my experience with internet cafes outside major cities, and sometimes even then, has been that they typically have 2 or 3 computers, there's always a wait, and they keep capricious hours. Hotels have it sometimes, but usually just one computer which you may have to wait for. And they charge for it.

I certainly wouldn't count on driving through Italy using a computer to make reservations. If you're going to wing it with the accommodations, I'd make sure I hd a good guidebook and a cell phone, and call ahead.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 02:27 PM

You may want to try a Vodafone or similar USB Internet connection - you can probably get the device and a month's worth of access for less than 100 euro. No contracts here - so yes you eat the cost of the device - but - you have Internet wherever you are. I have used one of these for a couple of years with varying success - even in the remotest area though I was still usually connected fast enough to get email, etc.

Actually it looks like they have a special - 3 months for 29 euro! I may have to upgrade

http://bit.ly/78vw6F

There are Vodafone shops in most metro areas -

"Free" WiFi has stumbled a bit since the laws changes a few years ago requiring documentation - but you can find it in cafes sometimes, libraries, etc. - and the occasional open network in a city.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice.
It looks like a Vodaphone connection is the answer!