Reload this Page >

Antique stores/flea markets - Barcelona, Madrid, Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Sandy

Am planning a trip this fall to above 3 locations (okay, a bit of a strange mix, but...)I am looking for "smalls" in the antique lingo - ie NOT furniture, but smaller items including jewelry. Would like to find some flea markets/antique stores where I could purchase items at good prices, as I would like to resell here in the US. Any ideas?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Sheila

In Edinburgh try the area round the Grassmarket/Victoria Street

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Sandy

topping - hoping for some more ideas!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:56 AM
Tony Hughes

Further along than grassmarket - at the bottom of st mary's street, 30 yds from the traffic lights. Sells clothes/jewellery that you may be interested in. Been there for years. Sorry, Edinburgh I'm talking about.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 06:43 AM
cooter

In Madrid, el Rastro is justifiably famous as one of the largest flea markets in the world. With that said, its quality has gone down hill in recent years, although there is still a fairly good variety, especially in the shops and smaller cross-streets. The main drag is primarily junk, in my opinion. Still, I enjoy it more as a cultural experience than as a shopping destination. The Rastro is held every Sunday from around 9 am to around 2 PM, but note that the actual shops, rather than booths, in the area are also open during the week, and it is the shops that have the better quality merchandise. Be prepared to haggle, especialy in the booths; I don't really think prices are a huge bargain. There is apparently a lot of pickpocketing, so be careful, although I have not had a problem.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Marsella

Sandy<BR><BR>There is a publication available called the Edinburgh Antique Trail. They have a web site www.antiquetrail.co.uk. If you contact them they will send you a copy (I believe they are producing an updated version at the moment). This is a list of 22 different antique shops in Edinburgh with a map. It tells you a bit about them (their speciality, opening hours, address telephone number etc.). They also do another one called Tayside Antique Trail. This is an area on the East coast of Scotland about an hour or so North by car from Edinburgh, although a lot of the places are easily accessible by train.<BR><BR>I hope this helps.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:35 AM
ukexpat

Try the Time out magazine site. I thinks its www.timeout.com or www.timeout.co.uk. It has a shopping guide for each city. I visited the fle markets listed for Edinburgh. They were pretty ok. The antique stores were nice; however, with the value of the dollar right now, it may be difficult to buy at a price in pounds low enough to resale in dollars.