Reload this Page >

anti-social behavior

Search

anti-social behavior

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 03:46 PM
fodors poster

anti-social behavior

If you are like me and are disappointed and disgusted by the many posts by a small band of anti-social individuals who do nothing except lower the level of interaction on these boards to the level of insults AND are disgusted by the lack of monitoring and or correction by individuals at Fodor's, please e-mail me your comments and I will collect them and take them to the offices of Fodors on an upcoming visit to NYC and demand that they do something to improve our overall experience at this site. Please help make this community a enjoyable one for everyone. My e-mail address for this purpose is: [email protected]. thank you.

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 04:22 PM
Anna

Oh, this board isn't that bad. I've found lots of useful information, and I just bypass offensive threads. Anyway, Fodors poster, how's the petition drive going?

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 09:54 PM
Donna

Message: Message: Sorry, but I don't think that's a good approach. Believe it or not, the percentage of unpleasant and/or irrelevant posts on this forum is low by comparison. "Monitoring" and "enforcing posting guidelines" has all but elimated participation on what used to be lively and informative boards on AOL. There is so much valuable information to be acquired on these forums from serious and knowledgeable participants. It's not worth one's time and effort to obsess over a few posts - better to just ignore them and read on... And, each and every time I've brought a truly offensive post to the attention of Fodor's, it's been promptly removed. In that this website is loaded with useful and free information, I would hesitate to make "demands". Fodor's has done more than enough to make this an enjoyable experience. They may decide to discontinue the forums and/or the website altogether...

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 02:39 PM
Dave

In my opinion, Fodors has provided one of the very few online travel forums that is worth visiting. Indeed, after being disappointed so often I seldom bother to sign on to those that require registration because it's seldom worth the bother. I found this forum by accident, and I hate to think that others might miss out because of changes in access policy. <BR> <BR>I usually visit several times a day, and have seen very little "anti-social" behavior on this forum (overlooking the fact that talking on-line rather than face-to-face is in a sense anti-social to begin with!). In my experience this community seems to be very good at "self-policing" those with a bad attitude. <BR> <BR>If you really want to see anti-social behavior visit the Lonely Planet forum - by comparison I think you'll agree that Fodors in a haven of considerate, informed sharing of travel knowledge. (LP can be useful, but there's alot of chaff mixed in with the wheat.) <BR> <BR>In my opinion, the only thing Fodors could do to improve my experience on this forum is to hire Ben Haines, Elvira, Wes Fowler, and a few others and chain them to computers!! Or better yet, hire me to obtain on-site answers to questions posted here <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 07:15 PM
lola

I've gotten into a few tete a tetes with anti-socials--especially on the US forum, which is the worst re this, and I finally realized that the best way to deal with it is to ignore it. Most of the time the crazy posters keep the treads going by emailing under different names waiting for one of us to come along and reply, but if a tree falls in the forest and no one is listening, they eventually quit.

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 09:44 PM
Fred_PA

_What_ are you babbling about??? <BR> <BR>I've only been reading this board for about a week, but I've reviewed perhaps 200 threads in that time. And I've seen little or none of the anti-social behavior of which you complain. <BR> <BR>If more monitoring might lead to the evisceration or demise of this board (as one other poster here implied) .... <BR> <BR>You wouldn't be from the competition, would you?

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 10:50 PM
April

For some reason it seems to happen more often in the Caribbean section. At times it becomes quite like the Lonely Planet forum.

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 04:11 AM
Al

The "attitudes" displayed by many rude posters made me quit Lonely Planet. On the other hand, I have enjoyed Fodor's and its population because there is a general spirit of helpfulness displayed by the great majority of its "actives." <BR>Maybe the original poster would care to cite the specific anti-social bits he/she finds so annoying?

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 03:05 AM
frank

Having to listen to crazies is a small price to pay for the freedom to exchange views free of charge. <BR> In practical terms I doubt whether Fodors would wish to spend much on monitoring, & I'd hate this forum to be registered. <BR> I am never "disgusted" by any posting, but then I get out a lot....

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 04:10 AM
Sally

I agree. If you want to visit a useless travel board with lots of rude behavior and no information, visit the Fielding Travel board under cruises. This board and the Travel Page are the only 2 I've found with good info.

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 05:01 AM
Kerr

First of all, that sure looks like a bogus address to me -- but there are so many possibilities as to who you really are, I wouldn't even want to guess. <BR> <BR>Second, no DON'T ask for examples or we'll be off and running about fat people, children, safety in Florida, or crypto-advertising AGAIN. <BR> <BR>But mainly: the greatest waste of time here is the number of people who post critiques about other people's posts, and this is a prime example.

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 05:43 AM
Anne

I agree with Kerr. Also, let's please not point out errors in spelling and grammar in postings. It's really not very nice, quite rude, and a cheap shot.

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 05:54 AM
al godon

If you anti-social misanthropes don't quit your anti-social ravings, I am going to have a fit and start kicking posteriors and taking names, which I will send to Fodors and tell them to revoke your posting privileges. Then I will complain all day long.

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 09:02 AM
Peter

E-mail me complaints??? why not Post your complaints??? <BR> <BR>I think this is a SCAM to send us more SPAM!!!

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 07:51 AM
anti-social trooper

I say we get someone to censor all of our postings so that we can avoid somebody's virgin eyes being offended. Actually...I think ALL of our e-mails should be censored. And maybe all websites should be, too, while we're at it. <BR>Dorks on line are just like dorks in the real world...ignore them and they will find something better to do. Get over yourself already. This is a free world, free website and nobody is being THAT offensive that I've seen over the last several months of scoping out threads. <BR>You need a hobby, dearie.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 08:30 AM
aloneinparis

ouch. Fodor's anti-social. <BR> <BR>I would stop reading it if all I saw were postings saying all the people in such and such a place are very friendly, happy to see us tourists, there are no thieves, no problems, positive, positive , positive. <BR> <BR>In reality, this is not the case (except for incredibly pretty ladies who choose to travel). Travel can, at times, be a painful and humiliating experience, especially for those who are often pigeon-holed as being anti-social. That doesn't make it a less remarkable experience and the opinions less valid. <BR> <BR>IMOP censoreship already exists on this board. The majority of the people are in the politically correct crowd (particularly the regulars) who are quick to flame detractors. The flames though are usually of the nudge-nudge-wink-wink LOL variety. <BR> <BR>Take care, <BR> <BR>Bye now.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 08:30 AM
Roger & Amy

We are anti-social deviants. Without us, you would have nothing to rant and rave about. Actually, I find Fodor's to have a great site and I hope people such as yourself will leave it alone. We like a good honest opinion, even if we don't agree with it. <BR> <BR>Roger & Amy

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 08:43 AM
Lee

Fodor's Poster: I have been visiting this site for about three years and I don't find any problem. On the contrary, I enjoy "stopping by' and seeing what's going on, even though I have been too busy to post or traveling for work, I still "participate". <BR> <BR>I'd like to think of many folks that frequent here almost as friends. I have no complaint, this forum is great.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 01:03 PM
Tsktsk

Politically correct and proud of it. There's a reason it's "correct"! It's uncompassionate stereotyping that's "incorrect." And what would we do if there weren't a forum to root out the antisocial boors? <BR> <BR>But even though life ain't always nice, nice, nice -- I actually think most of the people here are well-above-average nice, trying to help each other out. Let's not throw a wet blanket on that just because a thread comes along now and again that gets your dander up. My dander gets up all the time. When I can't hack it, I don't go to the post. Simple. <BR> <BR>(Just wish the advertisers would desist, and they are the pseudo-social ones, usually!)

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 11:29 AM
nope

boohoohooo.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -