Answers....and bad answers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robespierre's recent thread on "Answers" was great, but leads one to wonder about incorrect answers as well. The old adage re "passport always has to be valid for six months post-trip" comes to mind. Is there other misinformation to be clarified? Perhaps some myths can be put to rest.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:03 AM
ira

You mean not all American men wear plaid shorts, tee shirts, baseball caps and tennis shoes?
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Never take a taxi in Paris.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:12 AM

Always pick up and squeeze the fruit at your favorite market.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Don't you ever forget that when you have all the answers then the case is closed no matter what anyone else says, thinks, or does.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Now I am confused. Is passport needed or not needed for a trip? Or is it misinformation?
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 12:02 PM

<i>Always pick up and squeeze the fruit at your favorite market. </i>

I refuse to be intimidated by the fruit vendor. I want to see if it's good or rotten.

When you squeeze fruit, hold the whole fruit with your hand. Just squeeze slightly over the whole fruit and it doesn't hurt. Pushing with the fingers leaves bad points on the fruit.

I leave a lot of fruit on the counter, since it's not ready to eat or even worse, when it's going over the top. Remember you're paying.

Blackduff

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Wear Liz Claiborne pumps to sight-see in Paris.

(tuscan's response is the best one though!)
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 12:25 PM

The French are rude and hate all Americans. All they want is the American dollar. (circa 1952)

If you don't speak French, stay home. They will refuse to talk to you even if they speak some English.

All Italians are thieves, they will rip you off every chance they get.

As soon as you get into the taxi, tell the driver that you don't want a sightseeing tour and don't want to be overcharged - they will take you directly to your destination.

The English are cold and distant, not friendly at all. Don't waste your time talking to them - same goes for the French.

Always look at their money as 'funny money' and hold out a palm full of money and ask them to take what you owe them.

Never ever be satisfied with buying only at the first bakery you walk by .... buy samples from every one you see after that. You have to compare to know which one is best.

Don't waste money on a money belt. Your wallet will be perfectly safe in your back pants pocket, big purse or backpack - especially in crowded areas.

If you don't speak the language, you will starve to death and never be able to find a bathroom.

Bottom line ... every single person in every single country will try to rob you blind. That's probably why they won't talk to you, they don't want to make friends with their victims.

Nina
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 12:37 PM

On a fixed menu (formule), don't be afraid to make substitutions.

In Paris, buy anything that you want, the stores are very good about giving you your money back.

It's OK to talk and shoot pictures during services in famous churches/cathedrals The worshipers expect it, and it doesn't bother them at all.

Meander down the streets with you head up in the air looking at the buildings - the locals have plenty of time to get to work and are in no hurry.

It's OK to make derrogatory remarks about people or the country itself, in stores, or on public transportation - these foreigners won't have an inkling of what you are talking about anyway.

It's OK to talk at the top of your lungs in restaurants (unless you are alone). Everyone in the place is dying to know what you are talking about.

Never smile - it is a sign of insanity.

Nina

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Myth-Don't drive in Europe-true in the city but not if your taking day trips or traveling between cities. If you can drive in a major American City you can drive anywhere in Europe.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 01:13 PM
ira

Hi CF,

There is no way that my Lady Wife is going to drive over the Millau Viaduct.

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 01:45 PM

Always rent a car in Rome to see the sights. There are plenty of parking places. Don't believe what you hear about the crazy drivers there.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 03:24 PM

And gimme coffee any time, I don't care if you serve it after dinner, I want it, and I want it NOW!!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Passports don't have to be valid for six months after the trip?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:13 AM

The one that I consistently see is in regards to the International Drivers Permit. Many people will say that they never needed them, or that one does not need them, in Italy. They are recommended in some countries, but mandatory in others such as Italy, so telling someone that they don't need it is wrong.

Tracy
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:11 AM

These are VERY FUNNY....good entertainment. Might be confusing for some, but plenty of food for thought!

I do know, Blackduff, that you might be &quot;taking your life in your hands&quot; (not really!), if you pick up fruit from a grocery vendor ,market, or outdoor stall in some places.
This happened to us in Como,Italy...and I was told quickly not to touch! (lots of places you can perhaps get away with it....but who know just &quot;where and where?&quot;
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:14 AM

mari5
I have been at stalls where they want to decide which fruit I will be given. I just refuse and take my courtesy elsewhere.

Switzerland was the worst for this. Each time I'm served by the vendor, s/he gives me a portion of bad fruit with the good fruit. Maybe they think I should pay for the bad with the good but I'll take down the road.

In my village, everybody chooses which fruit/veggies they want to select. One thing that I like is the first day is culled by the stand owners. Only produces are good.

Sunday PM I wanted to buy some groceries. Only the beach shops were open (after 7 pm)and I found which I needed. On the way out of the shop, I looked at their melons. They were junk. Half were moldy, some are rotten and they all wanted to be paid for big prices. They asked for 2&euro; each. I guess the tourists get robbed each year.

Blackduff