Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Another United Airline freebie bites the dust!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Steve

I just got my United mileage statement and saw a notice that they would no longer give out hotel and rental car certificates when redeeming miles. I have used these certificates to get tremendous rates all over the world including Manele Bay Hotel in Hawaii, Park Hyatt in Sydney, St Regis Grand in Rome, and Westin Europa and Regina in Venice just to name a few. I for one will miss them. I wonder what is next - have they done away with the free drinks on international flights yet?

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Gretchen

Pretty sure all the domestic carriers charge for drinks in coach trans-atlantic now. Continental and USAir do.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Peg

Just flew Delta ATL-CDG last month. On the way over the drinks flowed for no charge but by the time I returned, it was $4 per drink. The FA's were distressed because they had to accept all currencies. Yikes, what a nightmare!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Julie

Steve - I'm so upset to hear that UA is not including those certificates anymore when you redeem miles - I've always used those when I got them and was able to stay in some nice hotels that I usually couldn't afford but since it was a free night it made it possible. This really sucks!!!!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:15 PM
db

The same thing happened to me.So, I called United and they mailed me a set. But, they only sent coupons good enough until the end of this year.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Ann

I tried to use those certificates the first time I redeemed miles with United, but found that I could get much better rates on my own. I admit, they looked great, but in reality were nothing more than a marketing ploy. No great loss.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:05 PM
give

Steve:<BR><BR>There is a bit of unsettling irony in your note. So you've been to Hawaii, Sydney, Rome and Venice &quot;just to name a few&quot; and you're complaining that you might not get the great deals or have to pay for a $4.00 drinks? Imagine the sympathy we all feel for you. Let's see, free trips to all over the world, cheap hotel stays, free drinks ... I imagine we will also find you in line at the soup kitchen.<BR><BR>I was wondering if it is United that is not giving the coupons or the individual hotels have cut the funding for the coupons. Clearly there is a marketing reason and perhaps, in an effort to stay affloat, these companies have realized that the offers are not paying off for them. I don't understand why people don't realize that the airlines are in business to make money for themsleves and their shareholders and if the deals they are making are costing them money (and I'm sure they use a very complex formula that includes customer satifaction as a factor, so don't go there), they are going to discontinue the deals. It's simple economics. I know, there are those who will say that United has all the money they could ever need and they are attempting to look poor to scare off the various unions, but be reasonable. We may never know how much 9-11 cost the airline and travel industry and we already know that the airline industry was in trouble before 9-11.<BR><BR>You know, some people actually have to buy airline tickets.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Steve

Thanks [email protected], you have a wonderful grasp of the obvious. I am sure that you always try to negotiate the highest possible price you can. If I can stay at a 5 star hotel for the price of a 3 star by using a coupon, I will. I am sure paying full price makes you feel superior.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Me

Those certificates are no real loss. The hotel certificates are usually only applicable to rack rates, and the rental car certificates usually can't be applied to special rates either. Its very easy to find better deals on the Internet.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Thyra

Great.. now if they would just stop offering the free, inflight, &quot;meals&quot;.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Steve

I disagree about the value of the certificates. While I agree that you can often get better than 50% off rack rate at hotels in the continental United States that isn't true in other parts of the world. Try getting a prime season rate of $230 at the St Regis Grand in Rome, $220 at the Westin Europa in Venice, or Park Hyatt in Sydney for $195 on your own on the internet. The coupons were a great deal for top hotels outside of US that rarely discount from rack rate.