Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Another umbrella question: Can you recommend a good travel umbrella that won't malfunction in the wind?

Search

Another umbrella question: Can you recommend a good travel umbrella that won't malfunction in the wind?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I am hoping someone out there has a good recommendation. The ultra small London Fog travel umbrellas we took to Spain just didn't hold up too well. We need to replace them before our next trip. I need one that can live through a good bit of wind and protect me from becoming all wet.

Thank you,
Sharon
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 05:24 AM

We have Knirp brand umbrellas that do pretty well even on windy days. I don't know if they are available where you live (they are a German brand, I believe, and we bought ours in Germany and Belgium).
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 05:26 AM

A folded newspaper!
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Jed

It seems to me that any umbrella that would be wind resistant has to have thick metal ribs and joints which would make it heavy.

My strategy in windy conditions is to collapse it partially and hold it that way so that it just covers me. That way there is less surface for the wind to catch. It is a compromise, but it helps.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

No, Degas! NOT a folded newspaper...I'm afraid after the wind hits and spreads the newspaper all over the place, I'd have a ticket for littering. Lord knows the streets don't need trash on them...

-Sharon
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

BTilke - I'm in the US... I'll check into the German umbrella.

OK. I found a Canadian retailer who ships to the US. http://www.raindropsto.com/Site_Map.html
(They have a store in Toronto.) Has anyone purchased from Raindrops?

-Sharon
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 05:47 AM

SharonNRayMc, great come back. I bet you are a fun person to be around!

And I hope you get a good answer since I've never had an umbrella that lasted or one I didn't lose!
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Well, Degas, I do like a little fun along the way. And, I've read enough of your posts to know you have a good sense of humor!

In fact, I'll let you in on a secret: I posted this question on the Europe forum because I knew the great folks who frequent this board would answer promptly. Even Rex recently posted a panic- "What should I do my last day in Miami, Florida" question on the Europe forum.... and was graced by decent answers.

In fact, we are headed to the high Andes of Bolivia and Peru during their wet season. And, another bit of water-protection gear that will be essential is a cheap poncho to protect myself from errant water balloons during Oruro's carnival. Perhaps my umbrella can do double duty as a shield... both to hide my own supply of soon to be errant water balloons and to fend off oncoming bursts.

Is it too much to pack "Super Soakers" in a 22 inch carry-on? We could always leave the giant "super soaker" water guns behind... maybe even trade them out for Diablada masks or textiles.... hmmmm...

-Sharon
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 07:16 AM

I haven't used them in a gale-force wind, but I've been pleased with 'ultra light' folding umbrellas sold in the US at Bed, Bath and Beyond, they are usually near the entrance. About $12.99
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Elaine. I like "ultra-light". There's a Bed Bath and Beyond store near my work-out place... so I can easily check these out.

I'll also try Jed's suggestion to leave the umbrella a bit slack rather than fully open.

-Sharon
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 08:16 AM
alg

Try Brookstone. They have a travel umbrella that's guarenteed to hold up or they will replace it.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 08:22 AM

SharonNRay : When I was in Peru (Cuzco, Macchu Pichu) a few years ago, those cheap plastic ponchos were a dime a dozen available everywhere. Pick one up while you're there and pass it on at the 'Cross Keys' pub in Cuzco (great place if its still there) before you leave. I meant to toss mine but never did and I still have it as a pleasant reminder of a fantastic trip. Hope yours is the same.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 01:29 PM

I have a "windsafe" umbrella from LLBean that I really like. It is constructed with a vent so that the wind passes through instead of getting trapped and turning the umbrella inside out. The top part slightly hangs over the lower part so that the wind can get out, but rain doesn't get in. I have been using it for about 6 or 8 months and no mishaps yet. You can see it at www.llbean.com. Enter the word "windsafe' in the search box. I have also seen these in other catalogs with names using some variation of wind safe or wind proof or wind resistant. The thing to look for is the vented construction.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you... one and all. Now, on to the shopping.

-Sharon