Another TGV question ......

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been "practicing" on the SNCF site for when I finally have to order tickets for real. After running across something very confusing, I called the SNCF office this morning (English version) and spoke to a very rapid-speaking French woman speaking English with a French accent. Due to the fact that there was office noise in the background, I asked her to speak a little slower and I think she put her phone down and didn't come back to me for a short time, and since it was a long distance call, I hung up!

The question I was asking her was this:

On the SNCF site, once you choose a destination and time of travel, the price comes up 3 ways:

PREM (Price: 70E)

Next box:

127.20E - Discovery Senior - non-exchangeable and non-refundable ticket after departure. Over 60 years.
AND
127.20E - Regular fare: Exchangeable and refundable

$145.40 - Regular fare: Exchangeable and refundable.

I had previously posted that we were scheduled to arrive CDG about 9:20AM and going directly to the TGV station at CDG to board the train for Avignon. The train departs at 11:24 AM and from those answering that post, I was not given good odds in making that connection in a timely fashion. Also, 7 of us are traveling together and we're concerned that perhaps one person's luggage may not arrive, or that the plane may be late. The next direct train departs for Avignon at 14h04m.

Finally, my question: If we buy the 127.20E exchangeable/refundable ticket, can we get on the 14:04 TGV without buying a new ticket? Or, what would we have to do in order to exchange the earlier tickets for that later train?

Sorry this is so long ............ any help would be greatly appreciated.

Merci!

Joy
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Yes, but you'd need the obligatory reservation for that train, which can be done in machines or at ticket window.
Is this 127.20 euros for one way? If so investigate the France Railpass, sold only outside of France - a saverpass in 1st class would cost 4230 for 4 days of unlimited days of travel in a one-month period, or $195 p.p. in 2nd class. You'd still have to pay for a reservation on TGVs (3 euros if made in France) as the pass covers train fare but not reservations. But you could take any train with the pass subject to their being seats available to reserve for passholders. Anyway if going round trip it could save you money - sold thru RailEurope in US or their agents - i always recommend BETS (1-800-441-2387; www.budgeteuropetravel.com) for their incredible expertise and fact that they don't charge RailEurope's handling fees. Would be worth it, the pass even more if you were doing day trips by rail from Avignon - several nice ones such as to Arles, Aix, etc.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:23 PM

I agree that the French Railpass is actually not a bad idea if you plan on paying fullfare anyway and might be wanting another train ticket or two. I almost bought one last summer as I had two TGVs to buy (plus a couple short trips) and I think it would have been cheaper (or almost the same) as if I paid fullfare. In the end, I just bought the PREMs for the deal, betting I'd make my train okay, which I did.

One thing that attracted me to the pass, which I've had before, was that it is very convenient for use on the non-TGV trains where you don't need reservations. You just get on any train whenver you want, which really does save time in the stations and waiting in queues.

IN your case, either way you'll have to go to the ticket window, so it doesn't really matter. If you make the train, you'll have to go to the window to pick them up; if you don't, you'll have to go to the window to change the reservation and exchange the tickets if they are for a specific train.

As for being able to do this at the machines, do you need a credit card to do that, PalQ? I assume you do as there is a reservation fee of a few euro, in which case American CCs won't work. So, you'd have to go to the window anyway.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:31 PM
ira

Hi luv,

Why not buy the PREM fare on the 14:40 train? You can print out your tickets at home.

The worst that will happen is that you will have lunch at CDG while waiting for your train.

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:33 PM

I think with a TGV ticket bought in France that comes with a reservation you can change the reservation, on full fare tickets, at the machines 'sans frais' or without charge - it says this on machines i've seen. But i really haven't tried it. I know you cannot make a TGV reservation on the machines with a railpass - have to go to window in my investigations. So i'm not sure of the answer but if no payment is required to do so the machines may work - maybe not! Hopefully someone with experience will tell us.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:44 PM

If the PREM price is 70 euro each way or 140 return that makes $175 - just $20 cheaper than the $195 France Railpass - plus with the pass you could hop the earlier train possibly - very possibly as planes even tend to land earlier and you wouldn't then even have to worry about a lengthy plane delay where your 70 euro PREM fare would be non-refundable and lost. Note that passholder reservations can be hard to obtain at times on the spot - you could reserve when you buy the pass but this involves a hefty charge for having RailEurope or their agents doing it. But with the pass you could possible get on the 11:24am train.