Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Another sorry question about summer airfare.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for beating this dead horse but I can't help myself! I'm weak! So, I am making plans for 4 people to be in Paris for a week in June. Have a fabulous apartment rented but no plane tickets. I have watched six times daily (sorry, boss) and there are NO sales! The cheapest I can find is Boston to Paris via Iceland or Dublin and both hover around 1K. We live in the midwest but can go to Boston to see family and leave from there because it is cheaper. But not cheap! Anyway, we go to Europe almost every summer and I have NEVER paid 1K but I am getting afraid to not have tickets at this point. I was so excited when I saw a summer fare sale on AerLingus' site but it turned out to be from Europe TO the US, not the other way around. Weird. So, do I pull the trigger and pay 1K (our traveling companions will have a coronary if they have to pay that much) or wait, wait, wait and pray for a fare sale??? Help! Need expert advice!
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 06:06 AM

I'm not an expert but I share your pain. Summer fares from the west coast to Europe are twice what I paid last year. I haven't seen any sales.

Since you already have an apartment, you can't change your dates. In the future, you may want to go earlier or later. I'm thinking of going in September because prices are only expensive then instead of ridiculously expensive.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 06:56 AM

Once I get to 90 days out I get nervous. Most airlines will post sale prices by then. June is a popular time.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 07:21 AM

I've been looking too but I'm not tied into any specific dates and I'm looking at Paris or London.

I honestly don't think they'll come down by much .. maybe 10% if you're lucky.
Confession.. I have paid 1K before for summer airfare (from Boston) but it was a last minute purchase.

Good luck!
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 07:26 AM

I wish I were an expert. I too keep looking at fares from Chicago or Detroit to Rome in June. My dates are not real flexible either because my daughter's choir tour is going the end of june. My mom's husband suggested Air Transat.ca which is only $850 from Toronto to Rome. My mom has offerd to drive us to Toronto. I am really leaning towards that because I can get 2 tickets for $1700 vs. $2600 out of DTW.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:20 AM

Can you try another city such as Brussels or Paris with connections? What dates are you looking for? The one time I traveled to Paris in June I had to keep backing up my dates since anything after June 17 was extremely expensive.

Good luck!
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:23 AM

My thoughts.. if you don't get a sale this month, it's not going to happen. I would probably wait a few more days or weeks..... (But then again, Hogwarts rejected my application so I didn't get to take Divination and can't read the "cards" for airfare!)
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:44 AM

CarolA, my crystal ball is a little cloudy too!

I just wanted to add that 'maybe' fares will drop but it's unlikely you'll get a good sale price for fixed dates, fixed airports and avoiding long layovers/ multiple connections.

I watched Caribbean fares through the fall and early winter and fares remained good and fairly stable but when I checked my exact dates (peak season) the best I could find was more than double the price with twice the journey time!

So, the point of my post is to factor in the convenience/ time saving when considering the overall price.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Hey! I just figured out a way to take advantage of the fare sale on AerLingus to the US! Can I book a one-way Boston to Paris ($500+) and then a one way Paris to Boston, which is less than $300 with the fare sale. Can I do this? Is it kosher/allowed to book two one-ways?????
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:32 AM

If they will let you book it, don't see why not. Just make sure that sale TO the US doesn't require a return purchase, which won't help you.

Otherwise, I think you're stuck unless someone offers a true last minute sale - and I'd be nervous waiting that long.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

If I book this it would be with AerLingus over the phone, so I will be sure that it is ok. One year they had a sale from US to Dublin. I called because we were going to Rome and we were able to get the sale fare to Dublin and then on from there. They were very accomodating.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:08 AM

Sounds good to me. Well done!