Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

another question re: venice airport transportation

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 12 year old daughter and I are arriving in Venice at 9 am on a Sunday in February. We are staying at the Foscari Palace which is near the Ca Doro vaporetto stop. Are we better off taking the Alilaguna to Fondamente Nove or the ACTV or ATVO to Piazzale Roma and the vaporetto to Ca Doro? I can't tell how far Fondament Nove is from the Ca Doro stop. Also, which way would have the least walking with bags and least waiting for the bus/boat. It looks like the Alilaguna only goes every hour on Sunday mornings. Any advice is appreciated.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 01:26 PM

I'm not sure of the exact location of the hotel, but if it's near the Ca' D'Oro stop, that should be closer than Fondamente Nova. If you are going to buy a vaporetto pass, buy it at the airport. Walk right out the front door and get the orange ACTV bus to Piazzale Roma, which is covered by the pass, and it then of course covers your vaporetto ride the rest of the way. (Note that the pass does not cover the blue ATVO express bus, but it's really not that much quicker.)
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We will plan to take the ACTV and the vaporetto. Do you happen to know how much a weekly vaporetto pass is as we are stying in Venice for 6 nights? Am I correct that we need cash to buy this?
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 07:44 AM

Hmmm...I just looked at the ACTV website to check the cost of the weekly pass (since I've only purchased the 72-hour one before, which is 30 Euro), but the weekly pass is not listed. In any event, you do need cash to buy this at the airport.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:06 AM

Here's the website for the ACTV showing fares and pass options
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Maybe there is no weekly pass. I also didn't see any discounted fare for children my daughter's age (12). I guess I will have to get the info once we arrive. At least the fare amounts give me some idea of what it will cost so I can be sure to get enough cash. I assume there is an ATM at the airport.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 09:19 AM

I think you can buy a monthly pass, although possible there are some bureaucratic requirements to meet. The price is rather good, as I recall.

There's also the Venice Card, which includes a week of ACTV transport, and other benefits.

http://www.venicecard.com/

You'd have to do a cost analysis to decide what was best. Also consider the cost of two 72-hour passes, with one bought at the airport, and the other bought when needed.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

The VeniceCard looks like a bargain for 7 days of transportation - if you buy on-line it is only 53,90 euros. Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 09:37 AM

Here's the website for the ACTV showing fares and pass options

http://www.actv.it/english/navigazio...iffe_vaporetto
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 09:40 AM

there are ATMS at the Venice airport - its always a good idea to get some cash at the airport. I think you are doing the right thing taking the bus and the vaporetto - it will be a shorter walk and a magic into to Venice to approach the hotel via the Grand otel.

enjoy!
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 09:48 AM

OP has gone and returned by now. This is for future guests at Foscari.

Ca Doro is indeed the best stop. It's probably no more than 200 yds to the hotel, with no bridges. When you disembark, go up to the street and turn right. Almost immediately you'll see a large plaza area on your right. The hotel is in that plaza on the left against the Grand Canal.

Lovely, lovely hotel.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 11:50 AM

oops. I meant 200 ft.