Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Another question- food and transportation budget?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I have the beginnings of an itenerary made up for my trip to Greece and now I am trying to work out my budget.
I am hoping to fly to Greece on August 27th and fly back to Nova Scotia, Canada on September 10th.

I plan to begin my trip by taking a ferry to Naxos for 5 nights then a ferry to Santorini for 4 nights and then a ferry back to Athens where I will spend 2 nights in the Plaka district and then begin a 4 day group tour through the mainland (Deplhi, Meteora, Olympia).

I was wondering what kind of budget I should plan for transportation costs? I've already looked up ferry costs, but I am wondering about taxis, busses and other ways to get around. I plan to stay at the Agios Prokopios Hotel in Naxos, Fira in Santorini and Plaka in Athens.

I was also wondering about what kind of budget I should make for food. Some have said 60 Euros, does that sound about right?

Thanks for your time and thought!

Samantha
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 05:43 AM

Progress, Samantha! I note approvingly, also that you are now speaking/thinking in Euros, not making people convert from $$.

Next thing to know is that it helps us if you are more specific about arrival/departure TIMES not just days; it affects advice. Like "hoping to arrive 8/27 by 11:50am". Like that. Also, you say you plan to fly back Sep 10 but when I jot down dates, I come up w fact that Sep 10 is last day of your 4-day tour. NAX:Aug 27-28-29-30-31 SANTpt1-2-3-4 ATH: 5-6 TOUR:7-8-9-10. See? I think those 4-day tours are Mon-Thurs, so I believe yr fly-home date is Sept 11. please clarify.

RE BUdget: it's different for different segments, group tour is mainly inclusive (x some meals) lets look only at 10 days outside (+ to airport on homebound day)...

Re OUTBOUND FERRY: the "main" ferry to Naxos is BLUE STAR: 7:25 am and 17:30 (5:30pm -- arr 11:30pm). large, nice, 1500 pass + cars, ships really, lots of deck space. A "fast-ferry" Hi-Speed 3 leaves Rafina 3:30pm arr 8:30pm; only saves 1 hr. No deck, u are confined inside on airport-style seats. I recommend Blue Star, has cafes, lots of room for socializing, meeting congenial people who are also heading for Naxos.

TRANSP BUDGET (SITE to SITE): Let's add it up. TO NAXOS, 27€ "reserved Ecomony", 4€more than Economy, it reserves u a comfortable inside seat (specify nonsmoking), when u get tired of sitting out on deck or in cafe-- this is VITAL, u are High season. TO SANTORINI, c 16€? Take Blue Star Economy, NOT hi-speed, so u can get caldera view from deck. BACK to ATHENS: (Sep 4?5?) The ferry will take 8+ hours! and will cost over 50€. If u act soon, Aegean Air has an 8:40pm flight arriving 9:30pm @ 54€!! TOTAL -- about 100€

LOCAL TRANSPORT: Bus, Airport-Piraeus 3.2€ Naxos/Santorini Busses €1 (figure 2per day). See if u can find a "buddy" to split a Naxos small-car 1-day rental (30€)& swoop around whole island:FUN! Airport to/from Plaka bus: 3.2€. Athens -- in Plaka u can walk to most stuff. Maybe taxi to big Museum,5€.

LO-HI DAILY FOOD BUDGET: Most hotels include breakfast; if not, budget 5-6€. Lunch? I like to shop at fruit stands, markets, for cheese, pears, olives etc & picnic: 4-5€. Water (buy big bottles, refill your small one)€1 Snacks/sundown drink - €6-8. Dinner: basic simple taverna meal w glass wine/tip = €15-20. TOTAL: about 35-40€. If u do sit-down lunches, and splurge on fish dinners, yes it can be 60 in Santorini or Athens.You'd NEVER go that hi in Naxos, trying!

PS: IF your outbound ferry is for Friday Aug 28 -- LAST summer weekend & big travel time for Greeks --I suggest u buy ticket ahead -- order online thru Pacific Travel (no extra cost) and arrange to pick it up at their airport branch (open 24/7)on arrival, to save hassle.

Next question??
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 06:41 AM

ttt
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for being so incredibly helpful!
For specific times times this is what I have so far:

September 27th- Arrive in Athens at 13:00
Catch ferry to Naxos at 17:30 (as long as 3 and a half hours is enough time between destinations- I'll have to look more into it)

September 1st- Leave Naxos to Santorini (unclear on times, I was told ferry schedules are subject to change before April)

September 5th- Catch Aegean flight, or a ferry back to Athens.

Stay in Athens for 2 nights.

September 7- Begin 4 day tour with ATB Holidays
Spend night in Athens on September 10th

Catch flight back, on September 11th at 06:45

When do you think I should start reserving tickets for ferries and reserving hotels, and my flight?
I'm just nervous that if one thing gets delayed then I'm going to have to start cancelling reservations.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Oops, sorry; by September 27th I meant August 27th.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM

LOOKS GOOD ---

FERRY CONNECTION Yes, enough time between arrival and & that ferry -- you have 4.5 hours, not 3.5 hours. Catch the express bus X96 from Airport to Piraeus. Bus stops by Metro terminal just across street from Blue Star ferry.
FERRY BOOKING -- Book your Aug 27 "reserve economy" ticket to Naxos online through Pacific Trav. Agency... it costs no more than booking with blue star line direct. Specify u want to pick up ticket at the pacific Agency branch at airport (open 24/7). This saves u any rush at the port.
-- the other ticket u just buy on Naxos; plain economy, no prob. The blue star is about nooon, arr about 3?

PLANE BOOKING -- if you want to SAVE, book NOW!! Sept 5 flite at 20:40 (8:40) arr 9:45 is 54€ as long as "sale" tix last -- then it's more than double the price.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 01:40 PM

ABOUT DELAYS -- BLUE STAR LINE is almost never delayed for weather.... it is the smaller ferries (catamarans) more easily delayed. And hotels understand delays... they live with it year after year. AEGEAN AIR has MODERN planes, excellent ontime record. Named "European Airline of the Year 2 years running.

What are you getting nervous about?? Hotels this year are flexible as can be.. they are HURTING for guests.

Get your transport lined up, THEN get your hotels. Order of priority for hotels:
#1 -- ATHENS, if u want good budget hotel in Plaka district
#2 -- SANTORINI, maybe not caldera view, but there will be rooms;For a single person, suggest maybe Fira Town.
#3 -- NAXOS; August is very busy of course, but many choices and it's only March for heavens sake.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again!

I noticed that I put 3.5 hours instead of 4.5 hours after I posted my first "oops post", so I thought I would let it be instead of posting a second correction. From now on, I will preview preview preview. haha.

Your information has been so useful. Everything is starting to come together very well.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 02:05 AM

Travelerjan, This has been incredibly helpful to me-as well as Samantha. Many thanks for your multi-forum detailed advice. This sort of info is virtually impossible to get any other way.
Interested that it costs 50euro to return from Naxos compared with 28 to go.. Captive audience I guess.
We sound consider a flight as well-if there are any still available for our departure date of 2 July.
I'll check them now.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Nicki, I may have misled you, because I didn't repeat the destination beside each transport suggestion:

BLUE STAR to Naxos-- about 27€ (Economy + 3-4€ for "reserve economy that gives u that inside seat; its a 5-hour ride)
BLUE STAR Naxos to Santorini-- about 16€; just get the plain vanilla "economy"... 2+ hours, no need for reserved seat.
AEGEAN AIR Flight, Santorini to Athens = 54€ (IF one snags a "promotional price" ticket, otherwise can be 2-3x that amount)
Alternative:
BLUE STAR Santorini to Athens (there's l that starts at 5 pm, stops @Naxos 6:30, gets to Piraeus midnight-12:30) I call this the "dinner ferry"...advise a reserve-economy seat... enjoy sunset on deck, eat in cafe, snooze inside. From Santorini, about 49-50?€, from Naxos 27€

I did not mention a 50€ return from NAXOS.