Another question about shorts in Italy!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know if anyone knows about wearing shorts in churches such as San Clemente, San Pietro en Vincoli, etc? We have a guided tour through San Clem., Coloseum and the forum may 26th(I assume it will be hot). After the tour we are going to the Palatine, and other local ruins.
At the Vatican we are definitely wearing long pants. I am going to be 22 weeks pregnant and am wearing capris the entire trip. I hope I don't offend anyone......just kidding of course. I live in Florida and we see supposed fashion mishaps al the time. I also see people in Catholic churches all the time here in shorts, but we obviously do not want to offend anyone in the Church while there.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:18 PM

I only saw a woman scolded for having bare shoulders in one of those churches. It seemed fairly loosely and randomly enforced. I seem to recall both men and women in shorts (although I personally would not travel in shorts...)

Now the Vatican -- that's different. Very much enforced.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:35 PM

many churches do enforce the cover up rule.

so, i would advise you take a large, lighweight shawl you can wrap around as a skirt as i have seen people do.
it is like a "pareiro".. i don't know the word in english, but they are a huge cotton printed square and are a great thing to take along to make sure you don't miss going in someplace important to you because of the dress code.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Pareo, by the way, where is THAT poster who always chimed in with her pereo?
I miss her too.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:42 PM

What is wrong with skirts? They can be very cool and are now quite fashionable.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
A floaty broomstick-ish skirt would be a cooler than close fitting capris or shorts - and would be acceptable anywhere.
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Capris are OK and you can probably get away with shorts if they reach fully to your knees and are not very tight. Anything above the knee (for any adult sized person) or bare shoulders/bosom you can have trouble - official or otherwise.

(And why do something that you know the local people find to be disrespectful?)
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:26 PM
LN

Hi

If memory serves me well - you'll probably need to wear a shirt with sleeves also.

I'm sure you'll be adoreable in your 22nd week (all pregnant women are!) but the church is a mite bit stricter in Italy than in the states.

There were quite a few people turned away while we were touring the Vatican - including young men for inappropriate dress.
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

I actually was more interested for males. I know my husband, father and father in law are all taking khaki docker shorts (they will have long pants as well. I was just wondering if we were walking around and stumbled upon a church or something.

I on the other hand as well as my mom and mom in law are taking capris as well as long pants and all have shirts with sleeves.

I have been to italy before but it was in september and since I was in Holland for 3 weeks I didnt take any shorts with me as the trip to Italy was unplanned.

thannks again for the advise I am so looking forward to vacation in 2 1/2 weeks.
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
dewdrops, I find that if you dress in temples of reference, no matter what county. If it is a church, a museum and some restaurants you will get respect in
return.