Another Lugano Question

Apr 12th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Another Lugano Question

Where is the Olive Trail to Gandria located in relation to the Hotel Eden in Lugano?

We're walking and are interested in directions. None of the maps I find are that specific. Thanks in advance.
Apr 12th, 2004, 02:10 PM

I'm not sure where the Hotel Eden is located in Lugano, but the Sentiero degli Ulivi (Olive Trail) runs between Castagnola and Gandria. Why don't you take the ferry from Lugano to Gandria and walk back to Castagnola. I believer you can catch a bus from there back to Lugano. Of course, you could also do it in the reverse order. It's about a 30 to 45 minute walk, depending on how fast you go. It's very pretty.

I haven't located a map, but if I find one, I'll post a link.

Susan

p.s. If you see a white house up on the mountainside above Gandria, that's my brother-in-law's house. Wave for me!
Apr 12th, 2004, 02:50 PM

Hi, FredsMom and lucky Susan. ticino-tourism.ch has a downloadable brochure (Adobe) with a bit of info and a map, if you'll click on the English phrase top right, then on parks & gardens, and finally 'olive path'. Evidently bus no. 1 gets you from Lugano to Castagnola, though I'm sure the lakeboats do as well. Or I think you can walk to Castagnola from Lugano along the lake, too, if you're a big walker. The olive path sounds delightful. I can vouch for the beauty of Gandria. It's a charmer; have rigatoni or penne with gorgonzola for lunch while you look out over that blue-green water. J.
Apr 12th, 2004, 03:05 PM

Yes, I also found a link with a map you can click on to enlarge. It looks like it's from the site you found, jmw: http://www.lugano-tourism.ch/framewo...u_id=421&ssm=1

I also think I may have been a little off on the time it takes to walk it; I think it's probably closer to an hour or so.

And I agree, jmw, I am lucky. If I could choose where in the world I could have a relative live, I'm not sure I would find a more wonderful spot than Gandria!

Oh, and FredsMom, be sure to bring some stale bread for the ducks.

Susan
Apr 12th, 2004, 09:58 PM

Is there an Indian restaurant in Lugano?
Apr 13th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the helpful information.

The last post was similar to one I posted earlier with no responses - Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, but good restaurant within walking distance of the Hotel Eden in Lugano? I've read that the grotto style restaurants are great.
Apr 13th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Can't help with an Indian restaurant recommendation, but a wonderful grotto-style restaurant is Grotto dei Pescatori. You have to take one of the lake boats to reach it.

Here's a link to photos of the nearby grotto restaurants: http://www.wr-online.ch/gandria/grotti/grotti.htm

Susan
Apr 14th, 2004, 04:45 AM

Great photographs, Susan. All three look like cool places if the sun is hot. Is the first one, Descanso (guessing at the spelling), at Gandria as well? Thanks, J.
Apr 14th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Yes, jmw, Descanso is in Gandria! I can't say I've eaten there, though.

Susan
Apr 15th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Susan. I must say you're fortunate to have family in such a lovely place.