Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Another Lufthansa Carry On Question. Please help.

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

We are leaving Friday night, Newark to Venice via Frankfurt on Lufthansa. We would really like to carry on our 22 inch roll on's but are afraid that they are slightly over-sized and might end up weighing more than the allowed 17 lbs. There seem to be a range of responses from Fodorites regarding this situation from "Lufthansa is very strict," to "I've never had my bag checked for weight or size." So, I guess my question is what is the worst case if we try to carry on and we're told that we have to check the bags. Do our bags have a better chance of being lost if they are taken at the gate?

Also, the website says that you are allowed one bag plus a purse or other small bag (such as a small laptop case.) Some postings indicate that Lufthansa is enforcing a "1 bag only including your purse" policy. Why the discrepancy? Thanks.

PS - If we buy wine, we can only bring it back in checked luggage, right?
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 10:03 AM

I brought back wine in my carryon on LH a few months ago. No problems.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 10:16 AM

The last time we checked in with Lufthansa, a rep was walking the check-in line and issuing stickers for allowable carry ons. She eyeballed for size and held bags for weight. You either got a sticker or were required to check bags without one. Even so, some bags with stickers were later gate checked. Bags checked at the gate are the last ones loaded in the hold and the first ones removed.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 10:31 AM

We flew Lufthansa three weeks ago to Germany and they just looked at our bags and said they were fine. We had actually weighed them and they would have passed. They were soft-sided and could have been made to fit the dimensions if pushed and prodded a bit.

There was no suggestion that we would only be allowed one bag (I think that is a security rule that the EU is going to put into effect later this year) -- I had the carry-on and my purse. There was no trouble over it -- none at all.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 10:59 AM
jgg

We have flown Lurthansa several times, incl. this March to Spain. I would say that your bags have less of a chance of being lost if they are checked at the gate, because as someone else said, they are brought straight down to the hold.

I would say that the worse that could happen, is that at the security check they could send you back to the counter to check your luggage in. I have not seen this with Lufthansa but on another airline. If you allow for enough time, even this would not be a problem. Plus, I doubt this would happen with a 22" rollerboard, usually only happens with obviously oversized luggage.

Also, be prepared that things could change from one flight to another, Once on KLM we had no problem carrying on our luggage from Seattle to Amsterdam but from Amsterdam to Milan they made us check it at the gate. So, just be prepared with any meds. or things you might need in your purse.

We have never been able to carryon any liquids unless purchased at the duty free airport shops.

I believe you stayed at Locanda Orseolo right before or after us in March 2005? Will you be there again? if so have a great time - and you are so lucky!!
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. There is not much potential downside in trying to carry on so we will try it.

jgg, yes, we are staying at Locanda Orseolo for 3 nights. I cannot wait!
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:10 PM

jgg is correct. the wine I carried on was purchased at airport duty free.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:01 PM

ipod robbie..and when you arived in the US ..that was your final destination. If not you would have been required to put it into your checked luggage.

If you have a connection in the US , you will not be allowed to carry on anything over 3 oz.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:13 PM

liquid over 3 oz, that is.