Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Another jour, another gite: Recommendations for Burgundy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to rent a gite in Burgundy next July, as a stopover from Provence to Paris.

Although we only need four nights, it seems like a good idea to look for a week's gite rental and forfeit the last few days, as we are traveling with three generations, who will prefer the extra space as well as the flexibility our own kitchen will provide.

I'm not sure where to look, in terms of towns and villages. There is a nice-looking place in the Saone et Loire district, but will I be sorry not to be closer to Beaune? We know we want to see Beaune and Cluny, as well as vineyards and a grand house or two.

I'm surprised at how few properties are listed in many of the agencies and sites I regularly check, compared with Provence.

Can anyone translate the phrase "Gite BB calin"? It's listed among the amenities of a particular property, but I don't know what it means....

Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:35 AM

We just returned from 2 weeks in a gite just south of Beaune, and another 2 weeks in a gite in Beaujolais (sorry, I don't divulge specifics about the gites we stay in - we want to return & don't need any more competition for the gites). We rent through the Gites-de-France organzation. There must be hundreds of gites in that area.

http://www.gites-de-france.fr/eng/index.htm
Here is a write-up I did on Gites-de-France

The Gites-de-France program was started just after WWII when many people were abandoning their old homes in the country & moving to the cities where there were more/better jobs. The French government started a program where they would provide the infrastructure (advertising, reservation service, rating the Gites) if the owner would fix up the old house & offer it for rental. This program “took off” & there at over 40,000 Gites for rent now. Many of the homes where we have stayed are not old homes, but new ones built near the proprietor’s house as a means of added income. Gites are self-catering homes with kitchens, and amenities like washing machines, pools, dishwasher, etc. Most Gites are not within large towns.

Each Department in France (over 90 – a Department is kind of like a county in the US) has its own listing & reservation service, and its own (sometimes different) method of taking reservations and handling payments. Gites are reserved in 1 of 2 different ways – either directly through the proprietor, or through the central Gite agency for the Department. The listing will indicate which of the two should be used for a specific Gite. Rentals are Saturday to Saturday. For most Gites, the rental rate is much higher in July & August (when the French take their vacations). The place we rent in the Dordogne (the most expensive one listed in the area for 4 or less people) rents for 440E per week in June & Sept and 750E in July & Aug.

The Gites have a rating system – 1 to 5 Wheat Ears (Wheaties). We stay in 3 or higher. There are very few 4’s. These ratings reflect the amenities available.

For Gites rented through “Gite central”, you can select & rent a Gite online, or call, or FAX the reservation office directly. We have always either called or FAXed our request (my wife speaks French). The person at “Gite central” for the Department can probably read a FAX in English.

We have stayed in 25 different Gites over the last several years- many of them multiple times. We have been vacationing in Europe for over 30 years, and once we completed the “once over lightly” touring of Europe, we have been exclusively staying in Gites. We usually spend two months in Europe every year (mostly in France) and we normally stay 2 weeks in each Gite. We have never been disappointed in any of the places where we have stayed – in fact, on our last trip we stayed in 3 Gites that we feel we could live in permanently. Believe me, once you have vacationed in a Gite, you’ll never want to stay in a hotel again. Even if you’re only going to be in an area for 4 days, a Gite is a much better way to enjoy your visit. If you get tired of dining out each night, you can go to the local farmer’s market (there’s almost always one close by), and pick up salad greens, roasted chicken, cheeses, olives, pates, magrets, wine, cherries, nuts, or anything you want for dinner at the Gite. At one of our Gites in the Riveria, we almost never eat out because the view over the countryside from our private deck next to the pool, is captivating and better than any restaurant’s view.

The URL for the Gites-de-France is

www.gites-de-france.fr/eng/index/htm

At this site, you can find and reserve a Gite on-line, or you can order a book for the department(s) you are interested in, and select from the entries in the book. Not all departments have on-line reservation services. The ones that do use 1 of two “general” reservation systems available through a 3rd party, or the Department developed their own. I suspect that for the “RESINFRANCE” system (1 of the 2 “general” 3rd party systems), they only list the properties that can be rented on-line, and omit the ones rented directly from the proprietor.

Here is how I find a Gite:
I first select the area I want to stay in (ie, Luberon in Provence, around Sarlat in the Dordogne, Pays Basque in Pyreneese Atlantic, etc). I then use either the book or the on-line service to find all the 3 “wheatie” Gites (sometimes referred to as “ears of corn”) in the area. Four “wheatie” Gites will also be listed, if there are any in the area. I then rank them according to price – I figure that the higher the price, the better the Gite if I’m picking cold. However, I only use the price in the off-season (April, Oct). If the place has a pool, the price will really be skewed in the summer months. I then look for the square footage of the Gite. My threshold is about 85 sq meters (850 sq ft) for a 2 bedroom place. Additional bedrooms are about 14 sq. meters, so I subtract additional bedrooms over 2, to get an idea of the size of the space I’m likely to use. I then make sure that all the amenities I want are there. One 4 wheatie place we stayed at didn’t have an oven, another no dishwasher, and a few did not have phones. I also make sure that there is a private garden or grounds (hopefully with a view). I like stand-alone Gites that are not part of a complex with many other Gites. I then find the location on a Michelin map of the area. The book & on-line service usually indicates the distance to towns with grocery stores, shops, railroad station, medical facilities, etc. I then get the Michelin Red Guide (restaurants) and try to find out how many restaurants are within 30 kilometers of the Gite. Towns with Michlein-recommended restaurants are underlined in red on the Michelin maps. I also check the Michelin green guide (sites) to see how close the Gite is to places I want to visit. In driving around, I have seen some Gites that are in the middle of nowhere – make sure your Gite is close to several towns & not in an area where you will have to drive 40 mins to get to the closest restaurant, grocery, or patisserie (unless you want a very remote location).

If you rent your Gite through “Gite Central”, you can usually use your credit card for deposits and final payments, and the person will probably be able to read a FAX in English. Renting from the proprietor directly is a little more difficult, since most of them do not speak English and want checks in Euros or cash as a deposit. We always send cash through the mail. We once had to help a friend cancel a reservation and get their deposit back 1 month before departure, when they had a medical emergency. They got their entire deposit back. A rental contract for the Gite will be in French.

The best Gites are usually reserved 12-18 months in advance, if they are rented from the proprietor. Often, the same vacationer will reserve a Gite the first 2 weeks in June every year for the next 3 years. Gites booked through “Gite Central” are normally reserved starting in the Fall (each department is slightly different). It’s best to FAX or e-mail the reservation request (make sure you have several options) as early as possible. We found out that they handle FAXs & e-mail requests before they open up next year’s bookings to on-line reservations or phone reservations.

A Gite may offer sheets & towels & household linens as part of the rental price, or you must arrange with the proprietor or “Gite Central” to have the sheets, towels, & linens provided at an added cost. We have seen this cost anywhere from 20E to 65E (we could have purchased the stuff for less than 65E). Also, someone must clean the Gite when you depart. It can be done by the proprietor at no cost (very rare), at a fee of 25 to 60E, or by you (most common). There are usually cleaning supplies at the Gite (but not always). Many Gites have staples already supplied – salt, pepper, coffee filters, about 5 days supply of TP, soap, or whatever the previous guests may have left behind. Our favorite Gite had nothing supplied, so the first day we get there we dash to the store & buy what we needed. Remember, check-in is usually no sooner than 4:00 Saturday, and most stores are closed on Sunday.

Reserving on-line has some tricks. When you go to the home page for Gites de France (URL above), you will see an option “Book your accommodation on line”. Click on this. Also make sure you have English instructions (click on the flag if necessary). You will then get a map of France displayed, and all 90 or so departments will be indicated. You have to know what department you want, because each department is handled independently. Click on the Department you want. One of two different reservation menus will then probably be displayed. One is called RESINFRANCE, and the other is ITEA. The ITEA works better, so I’ll explain how it works. On the main ITEA menu for the Department, place the arrow on “to choose your accommodation on line” and a pull down list will appear. Select the “Self-catering gite” and click on it. Another menu will appear where you can enter some search criteria. All I would enter is “more than three” in the “ears of corn” (wheatie) box, and then hit “confirm” (“more than three” really means 3 or more). A list of properties meeting your criteria will appear, and you can click on them to get all the details (sometimes written in English). I’ve also entered some other search criteria, like “Pays Basque” when I want to be near a specific town or area. The RESINFRANCE reservation system is full of bugs and not nearly as usable. It takes more perseverance and creativity on your part. You can not look at all the properties available – you must designate the specific date you want, to find the properties available. When I tried this in October, they had not loaded any of next years properties in the system, and a date later than 2/1/07 did not work (remember, in France they use the convention DD/MM/YY). Also, any properties already reserved through 2/1/07 would not be listed either. Our favorite Gite closes in November, so it would not be listed either. The primary selection criteria for “wheaties” was hosed up, so it did not work – only the secondary selection criteria worked.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Thanks so much for your great reply on booking gites Stu!

I've been searching for a gite or 2 for next September in the Languedoc area.

What would be your opinion of staying in a gite in the vicinity of Millau, near Compeyre? Would this be a central spot for this area?

Thanks so much.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 09:09 AM

The Languedoc is huge. There is no way that you can stay in one area & see it all. It goes from Uzes & Nimes all the way to the Spanish border.

I think Compeyre would be a good location for visiting the Gorge du Tarn & the other sites in that region immediatly to the east. If you'll only be there for 1 week, I think there are enough interests there to keep you occupied. La Couvertoirade is an interesting village. Roquefort does not have anything to offer other than a tour through the cheese caves - which are interesting. If you look at your Michelin Green Guide for the Languedoc, you'll see that there is not much going on to the west & southwest of Millau - all the neat stuff is east & a bit north.

In that area of the Languedoc, we stayed for 2 weeks a little farther north on the Lot River near Espalion/St Come d'Olt. It's slightly less than 1 hr to the Gorge du Tarn (Ste Enimie). There are about a half dozen very cute villages in the area that are classified as "the most beatiful villages of France" and it's also close to Conques - one of the most popular tourist destinations in the Languedoc. Lots of excellent restaurants too!! We also found the region just to the north of the Lot to be quite iteresting. The Aubrec, the Gorge de la Truyere, and the charming town of Salers is within striking distance. I think this Lot/Espalion region is much prettier than the Millau region. But if you'll only be staying for 1 week, Millau is fine.

In the Languedoc, we've also stayed for 2 weeks near Uzes, 2 near Ganges, 2 in Quercy near Caussade, 2 in Roussillon near Ceret & the Pyrenees, and 1 week near Lamalou les Bains (only OK). I have a 35 page write-up I did about the Languedoc Roussillion region. If you want a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll return an attached copy.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 03:33 PM

I just went to the Gites de France site, and they completly changed it sometime this weekend. The home page and several others are different.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for posting such detailed info on the gites-de-france system, Stu; I know anyone who reads that will find it very useful. It ought to be a post on its own; your advice will benefit those looking for gites throughout France.

I've used the Gites-de-France site to book the place we're staying the week before Burgundy; I'm now looking to get a roof over our heads for the week before Paris.

One place I like is nearish to Cluny; another is close to Beaune. There's about an hour's drive between the two, which I guess isn't much to make a deciding factor.

Anyone have a translation for "Gite BB calin"?

Thanks again.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 05:18 AM

Romantic! or maybe very cosy.
What is the whole sentence?
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Too funny, coco -- I'll be travelling with my husband, our little boy, and my 75-year-old mother. How's that for a romantic entourage?!

The phrase is by itself, listed with the gite's amenities. Like it's a good thing.

I wonder if I ought to keep looking....
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 05:44 AM

Hi, Phyllis. "Gite BB Calin" means that the gite is equipped for a baby (bébé in French)- high chair, baby bath, crib, etc. Doesn't sound like you'll need that unless your "little boy" is very little.

Depending on which day you are arriving, you might want to look for gites that allow a week-end rental (Fri to Mon) or mid-week (Mon. to Friday am). That can be a real bargain if it works for you.

I am also looking for a gite rental in Burgundy, but for late May. Hope you enjoy your stay.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 05:59 AM

Correction to my last post - week-end rentals go from Fri to Sun evening. And, unfortunately, it looks like week-end or mid-week rentals are not permitted in July or August, at least for the 2 departements in Burgundy on the GDF site.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Thank you Stu for the great information on Gites!!
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Thanks Betty I didn't realize that BB was for bébé! I thought it was B&B. Funny name anyway.
Have a look at www.cotedor-tourisme.com, you may find accommodations with flexible dates.
Good luck and welcome to Burgundy ladies!
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 08:35 AM

De rien, Coco. C'est que vous pensiez en anglais sans doute!

My 2 friends and I will be in Burgundy May 19-26. I would love to meet you and perhaps treat you to lunch as a small "Thank you" for all the great advice you've given here. If you are free, of course. E-mail me if you like: [email protected]
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 08:56 AM

bookmarking
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 11:55 AM

bookmarking
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 08:51 AM

<De rien, Coco. C'est que vous pensiez en anglais sans doute!> I'm impressed , are you French?
Thank you very much for the offer. We could actually do a GTG (Get together) with my guests in May. (misterjase posted only once here and found me)
Please tell us where you'll be staying with your friends when you find a place!
coco
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Non, pas française, mais prof de français. (And your English is perfect!) I'll get back in touch when we know where exactly we will be. I would enjoy a GTG with you and your guests.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 02:56 PM

ttt
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:03 PM

bookmarking