Another electric converter question.

May 9th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 144
Another electric converter question.

I just picked up a travel converter for an upcoming trip to Paris/London. Of course stupid me I didn't read the back until I got home and noticed it said do not use with computers, tvs or any other product with "electronic circuitry".

Do they all say that as a general warning or should I return it and hunt for another one?

Anyone seen this before? I had planned on bringing my lap top and my Iphone.
eliza61 is offline  
May 9th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
I've been told that you have to be real careful with those because they can fry your electronic devices. Not worth burning up a $600 iPhone for example.

Usually you can see the wattage on them and then check your phone for it's wattage level. If they are the same you should be okay. Often times hotels carry these at reception, I'd ask for another one. Good luck!!
JasonPiz is offline  
May 9th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 45,856
Return it and buy an adapter. You don't need a converter. I don't know about London prices, but in Paris you can get an adapter for about 2 euros.
StCirq is online now  
May 9th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,563
Well that's pretty useless.

You should be able to find lots of adapters, especially if you just need a USB input. Check out - they have a ton of products and all you'd really need is a travel adapter that has either a couple of USB ports or a USB port and a plug. Note that you will need an adapter that covers both "Europe" and "United Kingdom" because the latter has unique electrical outlets.
BigRuss is offline  
May 9th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 74,146
Hi e,

If the labels on your devices say 110-220 V (or similar) you don't need a converter.

You only need plug adapters.

ira is offline  
May 9th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 144
Hey Ira,
thanks. It's interesting because last year all I had was an adapter and I fried my curling irons to death when I plugged them in. Just want to prevent that from happening again.
eliza61 is offline  
May 9th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,827
You'd be better of buying a curling iron once you arrive in France. They are not that expensive and since you may return to the EU someday, you can save it for the next trip.
Robert2533 is offline  
May 9th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 14,742
My wife's Conair 120/240V curling iron which she purchased in the US works fine in France. In fact, we don't have any electrical devices that need converters. Our "devices" include:
Ipod docking station
CD player
Toothbrush recharger (which does not say 240 on it)
Hairdryer (switched to 240).

I purchased an expensive converter about 10 years ago so we could use multiple speeds on the hairdryer - but the converter didn't work.

Stu Dudley
StuDudley is offline  
May 9th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,812
The curling vs. electronics has nothing to do with adapter vs. converter. It has to do with what each equipment is capable of doing under different voltage conditions.

The electrical label is your friend. Read them before acting. What do they say?

I suspect that your curling iron said 110v or 110-230v with a warning to flip a certain switch in order to use it with a 230v outlet. Your electronics would likely to say 110-230v or something like that.
greg is offline  
May 10th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 144
thanks everyone,
As always I appreciate your knowledge. Off to return my converter.
eliza61 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:15 AM.