Another CDG to Paris hotel question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading through some of the threads, most notably the "Least confusing way from CDG to Rue Cler" thread because there are many similarities to our situation. But there are enough differences that I would really like to get some input.

My daugher and I will be flying from Dublin on Aer Lingus on March 27th (assuming the labor problem with Aer Lingus has been settled by then). We'll arrive at Terminal 1 at 8:50PM (that's a Tuesday night). I'm assuming that, if we check a suitcase, it's going to be 10:00 or so by the time we're ready to leave the airport.

Our hotel is Hotel de Turenne 20, avenue de Tourville 75007.

Neither of us have ever been in Paris before. But we're on a relatively tight budget. So, unless it's a matter of safety, I'd prefer not to take a taxi. We won't have much luggage, possibly one suitcase between us plus carry on. Maybe only carry on.

Would it be best to take the Air France bus or the RER and then a bus? Or, that late at night, are we being foolish to try to save the taxi fare? Saving the money is more important to me than convenience. But, of course, safety trumps both!

Thanks so much for any light you can shed on this situation for a confused traveler!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
nbujic

your hotel is near Ecole Militaire Metro
stop. one way to get there is to take the Roissy bus from CDG to the Opera and Metro line 8 to EM.
I am sure there will be more suggestions
from other posters.

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:28 PM
ira

Hi C,

Try www.ratp.fr for directions.

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both! Since neither of you mentioned it, I'm assuming you don't feel the lateness of the hour is of any particular concern?
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM

Here are some thoughts from another couple of forum. The first one is not recent,but things haven't changed a lot in the transportation department.

The second one less than 6 months old....
http://www.discoverfrance.net/Boutiq.../reviews.shtml

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archi.../t-302865.html

As Joe Bob says, Check it Out.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
nbujic

No problem with safety at that time. Air France bus is not the same as Roissy.
If you take the AF bus, you'll still have to change to Metro or a city bus ( I am not familiar with bus routes in the city)

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:59 PM

Here is what I posted on Tripadvisor:
("how to&quot

1. know the hotel address and find it on a map (www.mappy.com)

2. have a map of the Paris metro ready (www.ratp.fr)

3. know the options:

- Taxi direct from CDG to hotel (fares: 40-60€, depending on traffic, etc)

- Shuttles (fares: 18-22€ each person, one way, book in advance)

- Roissybus, 8€ or so: DROP-OFF - rue Scribe, next to Opera Garnier area

- Air France coach: 12-13€ per person, one way 2 routes from CDG>>

Line 2= DROP-OFFS Porte Maillot, Arc de Triomphe

Line 4= DROP-OFFS Gare de Lyon, Gare Montparnasse

- RER train (Roissyrail) to several stations in Paris - 8€ or so, per person, one way:

Gare du Nord, Chatelet les Halles, St Michel, Luxembourg, Port Royal, Denfert-Rochereau

From the above stations for Roissybus, Shuttles, Air France coach and RER, there are Metro connections and taxi stands

Look at the Metro map - you need to trace the metro lines nearest your hotel to the above stations

For automated advice, go to www.ratp.fr and use the Itinerary planner:

- click on Station and enter "gare du nord, paris" or one of the other main stations listed above

- in the 2nd box enter your hotel address, ex. "123 rue bourdeaux, paris"

You will be presented with choices such as departure time, mode of transport,etc.

Then it will open a window with directions, travel time, and a map

The transport passes (Paris Visite and Carte Orange) *IF ZONE 5* also cover Roissybus or RER+Metro to hotel

If you take Roissybus or Air France coach, you can buy ticket from the driver

If you take a taxi, there will be a small extra charge (ex. 1&euro for each bag

WEBSITES

www.mappy.com

www.ratp.fr

http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/en...

http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglais...

http://cars.airfrance.fr

www.parishuttle.com/

www.bee-shuttle.com/

http://www.paris-blue-airport-shuttle...
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
RER B to Châtelet-Les Halles. Change to metro line 1 to Concorde. Change at Concorde to line 8 for Ecole Militaire.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:33 PM

Since you've never been to Paris and you're arriving fairly late in the evening, I would say to take a taxi TO the hotel. It will cost more, yes, but it will save you loads of frustration, worry and anxiety. Then when your trip is over and you're more familiar with the city and its transportation options, you can take the metro/train back to the airport.

If you do take the RER back to CDG, just be sure it's the "3" line, as the line splits and you could end up someplace other than the airport! Hope this helps, and wish you a fantastic trip!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:43 PM
nbujic

I would not take the RER - you don't know the system and 2 changes can be
a problem.
Taxi would be 45-55 E .Always the easiest!

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:58 PM

If you both feel fine when you land, I'd take the RER and metro. It's quite easy but if you feel disoriented and exhausted from flying, I suppose the taxi makes more sense. Wait and see how you feel, and have the directions worked out (and get a metro map in advance) just in case.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, nbujic and fishee. But we're flying only from Dublin, not from home. So, even though we will have had a long day taking the train from Galway to Dublin and, we hope, doing a bit of sightseeing in Dublin, I don't expect to be exhausted and, of course, jetlag won't be an issue.

And, even though we've never been in Paris, we're from the Chicago suburbs. So we're "urban dwellers"! While we haven't had experience with Paris' public transportation system, we have had plenty of experience here (including taking the el to/from O'Hare) as well as in NYC, Boston and DC. So I'm hoping we can figure it out!

From what I'm reading here, it looks like a taxi would cost at least twice as much as taking public transportation. And everyone seems to agree that safety isn't an issue. So I'm thinking the added hassle is probably worth the money saved. (Money I'd rather spend on wine while relaxing at a cafe!) Not to mention that it'll give us a bit of a "baptism by fire" in terms of learning to use the systems.!

But I do very much appreciate your concern!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:29 PM

Yes, if you're not tired, do take public transportation. For me, it always marks the beginning of my adventure.

At the RER transfer stations, however, it's much more imposing as there are multiple tracks and levels so be prepared for a more chaotic scene than any el station, and you'll be fine. The regular metro is as easy to naviagate as any other public transport in any major city. have fun!

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warning, fishee! It does sound a bit intimidating! But, as the old saw goes, forewarned is forearmed!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:25 PM

Your cheapest option is a single ticket on the RER & Metro to Ecole Militaire. The cost is 8.10 EUR.

If you'd rather not try to figure out the RER/Metro system at night, you could take the Roissy Bus to Opera (8.50 EUR) and a taxi from there directly to your hotel. According to viamichelin.com, it's a 3.5km drive and should take about 10 minutes. Here is the taxi rate for 7 pm to 7 am: 1.09 € per kilometre, 29.00 € per hour.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tim!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM

CAPH, please excuse my momentary hijacking, but does anyone have an opinion on which would be the <b>quickest</b> way (hotel is in 6th, on border of 7th)?

We arrive at CDG 2 days before CAPH and her daughter at 3pm. If we're exhausted, we'll just take a cab, but I'm curious if we'd hit a ton of traffic at that time of day (maybe 3:45-4pm by the time we get out of CDG).
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:30 PM
nbujic

the RER / Metro is usually the fastest
way (taxi may take a long time, just means more money)but also a pain, if you have a lot of luggage.
Where is your hotel?

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:34 PM

Hi, it's on rue Jacob. I have been to Paris before, but have always taken a taxi or arranged a car from the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -