Another Boring Weather-in-June Question

Dec 10th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Another Boring Weather-in-June Question

Yes, yes, yes, I've looked at all sorts of weather charts showing monthly highs and lows and average highs and lows. We're looking at a trip to Europe in early June - maybe the first full week of June and thereabouts.

We're spoiled where we live; a dry climate makes even warm weather feel comfortable, and we rarely have to turn on the A/C. Now, when we're in average humidity, warm/hot weather bothers us. Also, DH has a medical condition that causes hot weather to affect him.

So how warm does it usually FEEL in early June in various parts of Europe? For example, Provence, the Dordogne, Brittany, or around Venice? Hot enough to use air conditioning? You sweat when you go outside? Wearing only shorts? Hot enough to affect what you do in the middle of the day? I'm assuming places like Netherlands, Belgium, northern Germany should be cooler (the weather charts indicate that), and that southern Italy and Spain would be too warm (for us), but I'm trying to get a feel for comfortable possibilities.
Dec 10th, 2010, 01:23 PM

The Netherlands Belgium etc could be warm, or they could be cool and wet. Not likely to be very humid heat that early in the summer though, and not likely to be really hot, but anything is possible.

The Dordogne was warm, but thundery for the week we were there (end May beginning June) this year - and yes it was humid heat due to the storms. Once the storms passed it was cooler - almost cold a couple of days.
Dec 10th, 2010, 01:33 PM

UK,, Ireland,Germany, , Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, Paris -
not warm, maybe a bit of rain.
Dec 10th, 2010, 01:38 PM

what a question, just READ the average weather forecast....air con.....dearie me.
Dec 10th, 2010, 04:43 PM

I remember one time when we were in Venice for over a week during the month of June it rained about 50% of the time and it was cold. Other times in June it was beautifully pleasant the entire visit. The weather keeps changing so I don't know how one could predicate exactly what the weather would be like sad to say. I have been in Italy in June when the temps and humidty was horrible. That is when it is good to get up really early and do your sightseeing and after lunch go back to the hotel and take a siesta as those Italians that can do and go out again later in the day.
Dec 10th, 2010, 04:51 PM

The chances are that more northern europe will be comfortable - although there are no guarantees.

Spain is hot as hell in June (except the northern Atlantic cost) and would be unbearable without AC for most people. (We were in the south in late April and it was beach weather - mid 80s.) In the south the temps often hit 100. Italy can be warm to very hot - and Venice tends to be humid which makes it feel hotter than it is. I would never go there in June without AC - but then I don;t like hot weather. (But you have to realize than many shops and restaurants may not have AC and you need to pick a hotel with real US-type AC - not the european type that just lowers the temps a few degrees and moves the air around. (Air-cooled is NOT the same as AC.)
Dec 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM

You are right it is a boring question that has no answer. Roll the dice. One year during the first week of June it was so cold in Rome that one night sidewalk cafes didn't set out the tables. The next year at exact the same week it was so hot that swim shorts would have been too much. You best bet would be to stay north of London and Paris.
Dec 11th, 2010, 03:17 AM

There are no downsides (well, perhaps cost) to having a/c in June at least from Paris south.
Dec 11th, 2010, 05:20 AM

We have been in Paris in June when the weather hit the high 80s and when it was chilly and windy. We have been in Italy in late May and early June when it was warm and when it was cool and very windy. We have been in Provence in June when there was a mistral and we could hardly stand up. We have been in London in June when the weather was warm, sunny, breezy and perfect and when it was dark, rainy and windy. You can look at all of the averages you want but you can't guarantee anything. Choose the place(s) you want visit and hope for the best. You have a pretty decent chance of good weather in June. Select hotels with AC and if it is hot, the hotels will most likely turn it on.
Dec 11th, 2010, 05:38 AM

You never know... the last week of June 2009 was in the 90s. We were lucky to have picked a hotel with strong and effective A/C.

The previous 2 summers we'd been in Paris in July and August and had been comfortable without A/C.

And if you're used to a dry heat you will feel hotter with the humidity.
Dec 11th, 2010, 05:39 AM

This year June was lovely and sunny here in Ireland, & very few were complaining, we're just glad to get it, we even had a couple of DRY weeks. Next year, it wouldn't surprise anyone if it was cold, wet, windy, or snowy. Or even sunny again. Anything goes here. The previous 3 summers were cold & wet. Global warming? Maybe, but we just laugh about it here, especially after last week with snow and ice on the roads for over a week.
Dec 11th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful replies. I am well aware (including from our many travels during May, September and October) that the weather varies in every place, and that many places don't have A/C, and so on. We were in Paris one May when I had to buy a scarf to keep warm, in London on a very rare week when it was actually HOT, and one time when we visited the Dordogne in late May, it rained all week. And, as I said, I have looked at many weather charts, and I am not trying to predict the weather. Just trying to make the best use of the most information possible.

But the generalities are what I find most helpful, about need for A/C, and staying north of London/Paris. In planning the trip, I want to lessen our chances that we, and more specifically DH, are miserable due to the climate. And, as I said, it's partly due to the climate where we live being atypical. Every time we go back to Michigan to visit family, I have to remind my kids that while it may be the same temperature as at home, they have to wear their heavy winter jackets, and will need to use gloves and hat, which they don't need to do here.

On to more researching and thinking - I actually love this stage of trip planning, where everything's pretty much wide open!
Dec 11th, 2010, 07:58 PM

Every time we go back to Michigan to visit family, I have to remind my kids that while it may be the same temperature as at home, they have to wear their heavy winter jackets, and will need to use gloves and hat, which they don't need to do here.
Where is *here*, if you don't mind.

I live in Michigan and never wear a *heavy winter jacket*. At this time of the year I wear a leather jacket and dress in layers, gloves, a scarf, and a hat now and then when conditions suggest it.

In June you will will need an umbrella instead of all that.