Reload this Page >

ANOTHER ATM QUESTION--SORRY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 10:15 AM
JOdy

I have finally been convined by this forum to use my ATM card while traveling. I have only ever used it twice in 4 years at home, once to activate it and once to make sure I remembered my PIN number. I usually take sevral hundred dollars in local currency then charge everythingm else. But on the last 2 trips I found some things i wanted to purchase and had to have cash so was forced to use my credit card to get the cash and paid a whooping cash advance fee on my cc bill. The ATM card I have has a Visa logo and after reading these posts I am trading it in for a straight ATM, when I asked if I could use it in europe , the bank said sure as long as the machines had the same logos as my card. I know Plus, Honor and Cirrus but my card only says STAR and INTERLINK, Are these 2 systems widely available in France, Belgium or UK?

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:07 AM
tony

My ATM debit card has "Interlnk" and "PLUS" on the back (VISA on the front). I had no problem using it in France. would suggest you have a back up in addition. Incidentally if you want to use a credit card, you can always pay off your balance plus several hundred dollars---then we you have a "cash advance" you won't have to pay any interest. Debit cards are a lot easier although you may be limited as to how much cash you can withdraw per 24 hours---mine is limited to $300 which has never been a problem.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:19 AM
chris

<BR>Your bank is correct. You will have no problem using an ATM card with those symbols (Cirrus, etc.) We were there in July in France Belgium & it was so convienent. If you are going to Paris and are going near Rue Cler, there is a Banc Poste ATM at the end of that road. ATMs are definately the way to go. In Brugge, there is an ATM right near the belfry. <BR> <BR>Have Fun. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:19 AM
herself

JOdy, <BR>I know there is a site that has all the ATM locations in every city, There should be one on sites for Cirrus, Plus etc. I always use just my ATM card and a Credit Card when traveling. I have never had a problem. I get my first cash out at the distination airport. My card has Cirrus and NYCE. My husbands is PLUS and he has had problems. Hope someone comes up the the web site. I need to bookmark it. Good luck.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Escritora

I have an ATM/MasterCard/debit card. MasterCard's worldwide ATM locator is at http://www.mastercard.com/cardholderservices/atm/. I've never gotten a cash advance on a charge card and so don't have links for VISA or AmEx, but perhaps someone else will have those.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Sara

A word of warning - if your PIN is a word instead of a number, be sure that you have memorized the accompanying numbers as well, as not all ATMs in Europe have the letters next to the numbers. I found this out the hard way in Vienna after standing in a line for 10 minutes to use the machine, only to find no letters with the numbers. I couldn't figure out the right numbers to use (especially with the pressure of several people in line behind me). So I left, wrote out a diagram of the numbers, figured out the corresponding letters, and went back - the whole process took me about half an hour!

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 12:31 PM
cah

also rmember that many ATMS will not give you the option of taking money out of various accounst -- eg. savings.. Make sure you have your money you will be needing in your checking account... Transferring wil most likely not be an option on ATM machines.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 12:37 PM
elvira

A Visa debit card is as good as a Visa credit card for access to money. Any ATM machine with a Visa logo will give you money. If the ATM machine is broken, and there isn't another one around, you can go into the bank, give the teller your card and ask for a cash advance (neither the tellor nor the bank care whether it's a debit or credit card, only *your* bank cares). You can also go to many exchange bureaux and get a "cash advance" with your Visa card (whether debit or credit, same as the bank, they don't care whether it's a debit or credit card). <BR> <BR>Lastly, tell your bank you are going overseas so they don't freeze the card, and ask what your ATM limit is (usually between $200 and $500 a day) so you can either raise it or you'll at least be aware.