Another article about Americans travelling during war

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one is from salon.com<BR><BR>http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/200...vel/index.html
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 03:14 PM

His take on travel is quite interesting. Bali is blissfully quiet? Could that have something to do with a terrorist attack which occurred there and nothing to do with the Bush administration?<BR><BR>He goes on to say &quot;if we hope to arrest the damage wreaked by the Bush administration and salvage whatever goodwill remains on this planet...&quot; that we should travel! Isn't it interesting that no mention was made of the damage wreaked by Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden?<BR><BR>That article is a waste of anyone's precious time.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 03:37 PM

I think history will show that what we have done here is a good and noble thing. Here is another good article for those who doubt our reason to be there: http://www.townhall.com/columnists/j...20030326.shtml <BR><BR>The &quot;damage&quot; by the Bush administration will be the saving and freeing of many lives. That is true goodwill...
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 03:54 PM

Thanks, wren. Very interesting column. <BR><BR>Re: &quot;Out of the presence of Iraqi secret police, Iraqi people talked about how desperate they were for the U.S.-led war to begin. Rev. Kenneth Johnson told United Press International that Iraqis he interviewed on camera “told me they would commit suicide if American bombing didn’t start. They were willing to see their homes demolished to gain their freedom from Saddam’s bloody tyranny.”&quot;<BR><BR>I have little doubt that what Iraqis would say about Saddam when they are completely free to speak their mind would be very different than what they would say when they're not (which is, likely, usually the case.) I don't think any of us in democratic countries with freedom of speech can even come close to understanding what it would be like to live in fear of being hauled off by police -- and perhaps tortured and killed -- for saying the wrong thing. <BR><BR>Re: &quot;After talking with the Iraqi people—not the propagandists on Saddam’s payroll the outside world sees—Rev. Johnson realized that Saddam is “a monster the likes of which the world had not seen since Stalin and Hitler.”&quot;<BR><BR>Not surprising, since Saddam's role model IS Stalin. An Iraqi exile on a PBS show about the rise of Saddam said that Saddam had book after book about Stalin in his library and that he has patterned his entire reign of terror after Stalin.<BR><BR>One thing that seems to have puzzled a lot of people is why Iraqis have, so far, not begun a full-scale revolt. While I suppose it's *possible* that their hatred of Saddam was very overestimated, I think it's more likely due to their memory of what happened after the Gulf War, when Bush's dad urged Iraqis to revolt, and then did nothing while Saddam's forces brutally crushed them. You don't forget things like that very easily. <BR>
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:37 PM

wren: Excellent article. Gives an insider's perspective on the real issues here.<BR><BR>Thanks.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:51 PM

salon.com...I'm ROFLMAO here ...now that is one objective source!<BR><BR>Another website for the &quot;blame America firsters&quot;!<BR><BR>US
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 05:07 PM

Some of you sound like &quot;stepford wives&quot; - I suppose next we should free <BR>Tibet and Taiwan from the evil clutches of China - and while there, save the North Koreans from themselves - and then of course, in our own backyard is <BR>Cuba with that evil, evil man - Castro. Unfotunately no action is pure in intent or conviction - it is not just about oil but is also about eliminating a murderer (300,000 <BR>Iraquis and 30, 000 Kurds have &quot;disappeared &quot; - to hope that diplomatic pressure or prayers will change Saddam is foolhardy) Of course, Cheney's former employer, Haliburt(sp?) is one of the few US companies being allowed to repair / revitalize Iraq's oil fields - talk about disgusting cronyism. You can be sure that a majority of the pro-war and con-war will not profit from the ongoing war and its outcome - only a small few (friends of georgie junior) will.