Ankara

Sep 18th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Ankara

My husband and I will be visiting Turkey for the first time in November. We'd like to know if we should make a day stop in Ankara. Is it worth going?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

~Isis
Sep 18th, 2009, 09:57 AM

please check answer to same question on TA.
Sep 18th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

What is TA?
Sep 18th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Sorry, you are not the same person. TA is another travel forum, and I did not want to write the same answer again if it was you posting there also.

Ankara has a very good Ancient Anatolian Civilizations Museum.
Including a large and definitive collection of Hittite pieces.
The only other sites that people visit are the Mausoleum of the founder of modern Turkey and the small fort on the hill, which one would visit mostly for the good restaurant.

you can fly to Ankara with an early flight, rent a car at the airport, drive directly to Hattusas, the capital of the Hittite empire and then South to Cappadocia for one or two nights, bypassing Ankara completely. The weather may be cold and rainy, so be prepared (mid 40s to upper 50s)

If you do not have two weeks or more in Turkey, you probably should not make a day stop in Ankara. If you will not visit Hattusas or Cappadocia, you probably should not even fly there at all.

If you only have a week or so, Istanbul and Selcuk (ephesus and other nearby antique sites) should have priority in November. In warmer weather, you would have squeezed Cappadocia in also.

I'm sorry for the confusion.
Sep 18th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Hattusas and Cappadocia - how the weather look like in late September early October?
Sep 19th, 2009, 07:44 AM

We visited Ankara on a guided tour of Turkey and spent one night there. Other than the memorial to Ataturk I didn't feel there was anything I wanted to see. If you have time you need to fill then go there but if you have more limited time I suggest you skip Ankara.