Andalusia schedule /Cordoba question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2017, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 18 nights in Andalusia, arriving Dec 28 and departing Jan 15. I am scrambling to tie down the plans for the first part of the trip.

Thursday 28-Dec fly to Madrid, train to Toledo <sleep: Toledo: Hotel Carlos V>
Friday 29-Dec Toledo <sleep: Toledo: Hotel Carlos V>
Saturday 30-Dec Toledo <sleep: Toledo: Hotel Carlos V>
Sunday 31-Dec midday train to Cordoba <sleep Cordoba: >
Monday 1-Jan Cordoba <sleep Cordoba >
Tuesday 2-Jan Cordoba <sleep Cordoba: >
Wednes 3-Jan Cordoba <sleep Cordoba: >
Thursday 4-Jan Cordoba to Malaga (lights) <sleep Malaga: >
Friday 5-Jan Malaga to Granada <sleep Granada >
Saturday 6-Jan Granada (Alhambra) <sleep Granada >
Sunday 7-Jan explore Granada <sleep Granada >
Monday 8-Jan explore Granada <sleep Granada >

and then we have a few days TBD winding our way for a final four nights in Seville.

Jan 5 (evening) and 6 need to be in Granada (Alhambra tickets).
We will do just one night in Malaga to see the lights, but may return there after Granada if we like it.

URGENT DECISION: at this point we have 4 nights (3 days) in Cordoba. The first night is NYE (not looking for a NYE celebration!) and then of course the next day is Jan 1. If it were not for the holidays we would do 3N/2D in Cordoba (depart Jan 3) . GIven the NYE/NYD should we allocate 4N/3D in Cordoba, as above? or would 3N/2D suffice?

(I also have the same question about 3 or 4 nights in Granada, but the urgent issue is settling the Cordoba nights).

BTW, It looks like on Sun Dec 31 the train from Toledo to Cordoba via Madrid will run on the usual Sunday schedule.

Thanks
Old Nov 21st, 2017, 08:47 AM

You don't have 18 nights in Andalusia because you aren't going there until 12/31. You have maybe 14-15.

I think this is just personal opinion. If it were me, I would certainly add extra days to Malaga since you only plan one day there, instead of 3-4 days in either Cordoba or Granada. I don't see why NY day makes any difference re Cordoba time. Main sites are open every day, aren't they, even most holidays, just with different schedules.
Old Nov 21st, 2017, 10:00 AM

Have you booked your trains yet - perhaps but if not and for others planning Spanish train journeys booking up to 90 days in advance or so means you can get discounted train fares that are limited in number (also highly restricted on changes from a specific train) at www.renfe.com - www.seat61.com has didactic advice on booking your own. For general info train www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Nov 21st, 2017, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Uhm, OK: I stand (or rather sit) corrected: in the 18 nigh trip that we call "our Andalusia trip" yes, we have three nights that are not in Andalusia.

However, referring to it on a daily basis as "our trip to Spain with 15 nights in Andalusia and 3 nights in Toledo after we land in in Madrid" is just too much of a mouthful.

I am trying to ascertain -- from knowledgeable Spain travelers -- whether on New Years' Day everything grinds to a halt -- as it does some places -- or whether we will find the restaurants, shops and cultural attractions open, possibly on a holiday schedule.

Thanks.
Old Nov 21st, 2017, 04:58 PM
kja

Have you decided what YOU want to see and experience in each of these places, checked opening hours (google each place you want to visit that isn't 24/7 and, if any don’t post holiday hours, e-mail them), and plotted your itinerary on a calendar? IMO, that’s what you need to do….

Good luck!