Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Andalucia: Any less obvious suggestions or recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

My husband and I are heading off to Andalucia on Saturday for a week-long driving tour of the region. We fly in and out of Malaga and our itinerary is as follows:

Malaga (one night),
Granada (two nights),
Ronda (one night),
Seville (three nights, with day trip to Cordoba), and
Cadiz (one night).

Obviously all of the major stuff is organised and booked, but I was just wondering if any Fodorites with first-hand experience might have some final recommendations or suggestions? Perhaps a route to take/not to take for a particular leg of the journey? Natural/Cultural spots of interest off the beaten track that we might otherwise miss? Or, most importantly (!), your favourite tapas bars/restaurants in the above towns... Smaller details that I hope will make for a perfect honeymoon!

We are in our 30s and enjoy seeing the "real" life of the places we visit, in as much as is possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 02:49 AM

I still think one of the best things one can do in Granada is have a dinner meal at the Alhambra parador overlooking the Generalife...but only if you can eat out on the terrace.

OK, it may not compare to the experience in a tapas place but nothing quite compares to the Alhambra, either.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Bumpety bump...

Thanks Voyager. I can imagine it must be pretty spectacular alright - evening temperatures permitting, I guess.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 09:33 AM

It sounds good to me, Seville is such a sweet city. Be sure to have lots of tapas!
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 01:42 PM

I think you will really have a great time!

Depending on your budget, there are a couple of restaurants worthy of mention in Ronda. One is Don Miguel (both a restaurant and cafeteria) that tiers down the gorge. Offers some great views and some great food. (Highly recommend the gazpacho) It's right across the street from the parador. Can't speak for dinner, but lunch in the cafeteria is fairly reasonable. And if the weather is cooperating and you can eat on the terraces, the view is very worthwhile.

The second place is Casa Santa Pola, on the other side of the bridge from Don Miguel. It's down the street a little ways, but easy enough to find. It's in one of the oldest houses in Ronda and has lots of atmosphere. A bit pricey, but the food, ambiance, and service make up for it! They do serve lunch, but am unsure of the prices. Dinner was a special treat for us, though. (Dinner without wine came to 70 euro, so it was a bit of a splurge.)

Have fun!
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 08:00 PM

On the way to Cadiz, stop off in the white village of Vejer de la Fontera. It's wonderful.

See the flamenco show at Los Gallos in Seville.

Go to the restaurant El Caballo Rojo in Cordoba.

Please report back how you liked Cadiz--I haven't been there yet.

Have a great trip.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a million for the tips!

Will be sure to let you know how we get on.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:13 AM

In Sevilla we used to frequent a Cuban restaurant which was across from the Gold Tower and next to MacDonalds. It's something different, the appetizers are great and the Pina Coladas are awesome!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 08:15 AM

Will you have a car? If so, spend a day exploring some of the tiny white villages outside of Ronda. The drive from village to village can be spectacular (especially Zahara!). We also did a cave tour just outside Ronda that was fun and very non-commercialized. You also may want to spend an afternoon in the very picturesque seaside town of Nerja, and possibly explore the mountain villages between Nerja and Granada. In Seville try and seek out the Carbonara, a small, smokey, hidden away late night Flamenco hangout.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 09:17 AM

ditto suggestion for the carbonara.
many future stars play there as amateurs. they have several different "rooms" and corners so there is quite a bit going on around the entire place. some singing, dancing, guitar.. you name it.

Old Nov 5th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Just about to head off. Really like the sound of the Carbonara; will hopefully get a chance to check it out.
Cheers for all the info.
Hasta luego!
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 02:38 AM
RJD

According to Ortega Y Gasset, a Spanish philosopher of the first rank, Andalucia is the closest thing we have to heaven on earth. It's in Invertebrate Spain, not a fun read but revelatory of Spanish character.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 03:34 AM

Your trip is badly planned:

Malaga is not worth a night.
Cadiz is not worth a night.
Genrada is worth one at most.

How can you go to Andalucia and not go to Cordoba? There is very little in Cadiz and Malaga, which are not at all tourist destinations.

Add Nerja and Cordoba for sure. I am also especially fond of Carmona and the beautiful parador there.

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Depending on how your itinerary shakes out, you should consider a trip to Jerez de la Frontera. We visited the Sandeman winery and did some sherry tasting. Then almost right across the street, we went to the "Dancing Horses" show. Fabulous! That was the day after spending a day in Sevilla and seeing a great Flamenco show at El Patio Sevillano.

Driving south from there, you will come close to Gibraltar, which is worth a visit. Then back to Malaga is only a couple of hours and you can always take a side trip to Mijas, one of the white villages.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 04:40 PM

If you are interested in food, you should buy a copy of Discovering Spain by Penelope Casas; take it with you; it is one of my favorite resources on Spain. She really loves Cadiz and has some good info on sights and eating in that city, as well as all the others you will visit.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 02:20 AM

"Jerez de la Frontera. We visited the Sandeman winery and did some sherry tasting. Then almost right across the street, we went to the "Dancing Horses" show. Fabulous!"

Yes it is. Thursdays, only though. Sandeman is nicely generous with the Sherry, too.