Andalucia 10ish days, help with itineray

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone help with this itinerary? We have 10 days in Andalucia, starting with 3 days in Seville. Here is a tentative itinerary

16-19 Madrid (should we stop in Cordoba on way to Seville?)
20-22 Seville
23-24 Cadiz
25-26 Ronda
So days to fill are 27, 28 29.
We definitely want to go to Grenada but was thinking a stop in Nerja on the way?
We want to have some beach time towards the end of the trip, but does it seem too rushed to only have 1 day/night in Grenada? My thoughts were that we already hit Madrid and Seville as our "big" cities, and Granada is mainly to see the Alhambra (being optimistic that I'll make it back here some day to see more!) Any help is appreciated thanks!
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

One note about us. Couple from San Francisco in our early 30s. We don't need to go to clubs every night but will prob spend a few nights in Seville/Madrid experiencing local nightlife. While we want to see all the sights (museusm, alhambra, etc) we would also will take a few days to simply sit on a beach, in a park, at a cafe etc. As much as it would hurt to cut destinations should we spend less time traveling and be more focused on a few places?
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 04:17 PM

You need to add 2 nights to Sevilla and spend 2 nights in Granada. Sevilla doesn't feel like a big city at all - nothing like Madrid or Barcelona.

With 10 days in Andalucia I'd do 4 in Sevilla, 2 in Granada and 2 in the White Villages. For the remaining 2 Cadiz is a good choice or Malaga.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 06:24 AM

Nerja is great for a couple of days on the beach on yor way to/from Granada. Relatively quiet El Salón is my favourite beach in town. http://www.nerjatoday.com/nerjabeachguide/el-salon/

Extremely popular La Marina is as good as you'll get a seafood freiduría/restaurant in all of Andalucía.
http://www.nerjatoday.com/barsandrestaurants/la-marina/

Or have some free tapas to choose with every glass of wine/beer or whatever at fabulous El Pulguilla. Top tapas grilled on the spot (conchas finas, mussels, clams, prawns, monkfish, whitebait, baby-squid, sausages, pinchos morunos, mini-burgers etc.) and great atmosphere
http://www.nerjatoday.com/barsandres.../el-pulguilla/

I often end the night with a glass in the old Bar Cavana, just behind the church in the center.
http://www.nerjatoday.com/barsandrestaurants/cavana/
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions, I am getting more and more excited about Seville as I read/look at pictures.

Is there enough to do in/around Ronda for 2 nights? Or should I shave a night from Ronda and add it to Grenada for 3 nights there?
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 09:41 AM

If you have a car, which I'd recommend for this area, 2 nights is good for Ronda because you can use it as a base to explore the other nearby white villages.

I personally think 2 full days/nights in Granada is a good amount of time for a visit.

Can I ask what time of year this trip is going to occur?
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 09:57 AM
kja

> Is there enough to do in/around Ronda for 2 nights?

I thought 1 night / 1 day was enough, but I didn't have a car.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 10:13 AM

bstclaire

Seville is one of Europe's great small cities and has still managed to retain a fair degree of its local culture without being just another world city. I would spend at least 3 days there. I would then spend a day heading for the coast on the Costa Del La Luz passing through Jerez and its sherry bodegas.
We love the coastal town of Zahara De Los Atunes.

Cadiz is probably worth a night but no more. It is interesting due to its proximity to Africa.

IMO and probably most of the other posters here, the Costa Del Sol is an absolute nightmare. It is either posh tack or cheap tack, either way it is tacky. Rhonda is interesting but I would personally spend time in either Malaga or Nerja before going on to Grenada. I agree about Grenada's main attraction being its only attraction.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 10:16 AM

We spent 2 weeks in Andulusia November 2010. Spent 4 nights in Seville at the Hotel Amadeus which we loved. Lots to do there even went to a Flamenco show which was wonderful. Lots of tapas places and restaurants and the lovely cathedral. 3 nights in Granada at Carmen de la Alcubilla del Caracol which was reasonably priced and very,very nice with views of the mountains. I think that 2 days in Granada will be sufficient with 1 day for the Alhambra. One night at Parador de Ronda-a wonderful value for the money. We thought 1 day and overnight was plenty of time there. Beautiful views ,not great restaurants and a little shopping time. The only way I can see needing more time there is if you drove to some white villages.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

CathyM, the trip will be the second half of September. Is driving in and out of Ronda a nightmare? (that seems to be the opinon on some of the boards.)

I think I will keep Granada to 2 nights then, with the main purpose being "the attraction." I am going to look into Zahara de Los Atunes for our beach day.

Side note, I am tracking our trip by nights stayed so we will have 3 nights in Seville with 2 full days and 1/2 day but now might try and tack on another night (we already have a hotel booked.)
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 10:46 AM

bstclaire, after reading maribel's guide to Granada we decided to stay 2 full days/2 nights rather than one day/night. looks like you need one full day for the Alhambra.