Reload this Page >

...and take yer Irn-Bru with you!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 09:35 AM
John

I just HAD to share this...a week or two old. <BR> <BR>EDINBURGH (Reuters) - British police said on Wednesday they were treating a haggis attack on the house of a Scottish woman living in England as a ``racially-motivated hate crime.'' <BR> <BR>A spokeswoman for Greater Manchester police said the traditional Scottish dish -- normally the size of a pineapple -- had been thrown through the front window of Christine MacKinnon, 45, in the Rochdale area of the city northwest in England. <BR> <BR>``We can confirm the object thrown was a haggis, which has been taken away for examination,'' the spokeswoman said. <BR> <BR>Scotland's Daily Record tabloid newspaper said MacKinnon grew up in Glasgow but had lived in England for 35 years and had lost all trace of her Scottish accent. <BR> <BR>``This harassment from my neighbors has been going on for two years,'' the paper quoted her as saying. ``I've had people screaming in my house telling me to get back to Scotland. But I won't budge.'' <BR>

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 09:44 AM
elvira

Just think the damage if it had been in a tube...

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Tony Hughes

She must have done something awful to upset those pleasant English.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 11:41 AM
elvira

Probably tried to imitate their cute accent.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Sammy

Could they have been practicing Scottish events, like caber tossing?

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Linda

Ok, I'm ignorant! What is Im-Bru? (Guess that's why I read this forum so religiously, so I can learn new things!)

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:30 PM
John

I can't stop smiling when I think of the likely official statement, "...the haggis is assisting police in their enquiries." <BR> <BR>What a tragedy - the great chieftain o' the puddin' race reduced to mere missile.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Ann

Irn Bru is a carbonated soft drink, a lurid orangey colour (rusty?) - "made in Scotland - from girders" as the advertisement says.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 01:08 PM
pam

from http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/irn-bru/index.asp <BR>"Irn-Bru <BR>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <BR> <BR>Irn-Bru is a very popular European beverage that features a very mild citrus/orange flavor. In addition to having a citrus flavor, this beverage has a mild caffeine flavor. While many US consumers might not understand this product, Irn-Bru maintains a cult like status in the UK (especially in Scotland). Overall, a great beverage." <BR> <BR>Hmmm...years ago there was "Iron Brew," which I've always thought was locally made...little did I know!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 01:10 PM
elvira

Was there at least a note tied to it, made from letters cut from an early publishing of Address To The Unco Guid, Or The Rigidly Righteous? <BR> <BR>