Reload this Page >

Anacapri vs. Capri Town

Search

Anacapri vs. Capri Town

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:48 AM
soy

Anacapri vs. Capri Town

I have booked a hotel in Anacapri near the chairlift that brings you up to Mt. Solerno. Is this a good choice in location or am I too far from all the action..Also, how far is Capri Town by public transportation. Originally, I was thinking staying in Anacapri would be a welcome retreat from the busy streets of Capri, but I'm starting to doubt this was the best decision.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:28 PM
SherriKardell

Hi I prefer Capri to AnaCapri ;although the prices of hotels are higher I find there is alot more to do at night; I would not call Capri a big night town; but if you stay somewhere off the main drag you can walk to most of the action and still get a good noights sleep.<BR>Just my opinions; hope it helps.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Dianne

Right in the same piazza near the chairlift is the minibus stop to Capri. I think it was only 10 maybe 15 min between the two. Also near your hotel is Villa San Michele which you'll be able to visit peacefully when they open before tour groups come. I've only stayed in Capri town, but I'd be willing to try Anacapri next time.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Betsy

We stayed at the Caesar Augustus on Anacapri two years ago and loved Anacapri. You can always catch a bus downtown for a few cents. Don't miss the Villa San Michele. It's lovely and quiet up there -- you'll like it.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Bob

We were disappointed in Anacapri. You will be too. Capri is better and you will end up spending more time there.

Old Aug 19th, 2011, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so we're debating between capri and anacapri...the Punta Traga in Capri or the Caesar Augustus in Anacapri. Anyone have an opinion? And was it easy to get back and forth to both towns? Not in walking distance I take it : )
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 03:51 PM

It is very easy to get back and forth between the two towns. We stayed in Capri and I agree that there is more to see and do there but we really enjoyed our trip to Anacapri. The bus from Anacapri to Capri (short distance) is pretty crowded during the afternoon when all of the day-trippers are returning to catch their ferry back to the Amalfi Coast.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 05:04 PM

I liked being in the center of things in Capri. There is a lot of people watching and its all very glamourous!
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Both hotels are divine, so you need to know if you want the quiet of Anacapri or the slightly more happening lanes of Capri town. Not that it will be noisy in the Punta Tragara.

Caesar Augustus will give you quicker access to historical sites like Villa San Michele, the gardens are exquisite and the views are just spectacular whichever way you look. Access to the Blue Grotto will be easily done (taxi or bus ride down)from the hotel too (then you have to catch a small boat in, but your hotel will help with all of that). Punta Tragara is also stunning, the views a little different but no less spectacular and it's a little closer to the action if you want to dine out in different (or the same!) places each night and take your <i>passagiata</i> each evening with others. You'll be able to walk down to the Faraglione/Marina Piccolo and the beach clubs from the hotel too, down the via Krupp path.

As has been mentioned, access between the two parts of the island is easy - either by taxi or by dinky but fun orange busses hurtling along the narrow road (starts your heart quicker than a morning espresso!), so that's not really an issue. It's more a case of if you want to be in the action (Capri Town) or have access to it, but get away from it to the smaller top of the island.