An October day in the Luberon

Aug 3rd, 2015, 04:36 PM
wj1
Original Poster

An October day in the Luberon

We will be in Provence in October based in Avignon. We want to spend one day in the Luberon. (I know--one day will not be enough.) Where should we go?

We plan to visit Roussillon as we want to walk the Ochre Trail. But where else?

We were thinking of Gordes because we thought we might want to see the Abbaye de Senaque but I didn't know if it was worth it without the lavender. Any thoughts? What about Village des Bories as part of a Gordes visit?

We also have been considering Menerbes and having lunch at the Maison du la Truffe et du Vin. Dumb idea?

Many of you have visited Luberon and I'd really like to hear what you recommend. We are the epitomy of Slow Travelers so I'm guessing that we will only have time to visit 3 villages. Does that sound right?

I'm looking forward to hearing your suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Aug 3rd, 2015, 05:00 PM

Senasque is not in Gordes, and it wouldn't be that great without the lavender - but the setting is lovely down in a canyon.

Here is a "timed" visit to the Luberon I did a while back.

Luberon - Time schedule

8:00 or 8:30 - Get to Gordes, pull the car over at the view "spot" & take a picture. Park the car in the lot, and visit Gordes. Have a cafe creme & croissants for breakfast at one of the outdoor cafes. Walk down to the Lavoire & back. Explore Gordes.

10:00 leave Gordes.
10:30 arrive in Oppede le Vieux & explore a bit
11:30 leave Oppede, drive to Menerbes
11:45 arrive in Menerbes & explore. Grab a sandwich for lunch & sit on a bench with a view & have lunch.
12:45 leave Menerbes
1:00 arrive in Lacoste, drive up towards the village & view Bonnieux across the valley. No visit of Lacoste. Drive to Bonnieux.
1:45 Visit Bonnieux (sandwich, if you didn't have one in Menerbes)
3:15 leave Bonnieux & head to Roussillon.
3:45 arrive in Roussillon, park the car, and explore Roussillon. Visit the Ocre fields. Have an afternoon coffee at a cafe.
5:45 Leave Roussillon. If you still have some energy left, visit Goult - otherwise, call it a day.

Stu Dudley
Aug 3rd, 2015, 11:33 PM

3 villages would most likely be plenty, if you had time for a fourth, I'd go for Lacoste. A little loop doing Gordes, Menerbes (for lunch), Lacoste, Roussillon (for a walk and dinner) would make for a great day out without overdoing it.

By all means visit the Abbey - as Stu says, the setting is gorgeous and while the tour is only in French, you can visit the church off tour - it's a fantastic example of Cisternian (sp?) architecture. Honestly, after having seen the Abbey this summer flooded with camera-toting tour bus traveling tourists, I'd say it's much better to visit without the lavender than with.

As for the Borie Village, guests seem to like it, nut personally, I prefer just stumbling across them while out hiking in the hills !

Might try Le Veranda for lunch in Menerbes. Pretty view from the cliff side windows and quite good food-wise and not complicated.

- Kevin
Aug 4th, 2015, 10:47 AM

I like to stay in Pernes-les-Fontaines when I'm in that area, and I'd recommend that as a possible visit. That small town does have a few things of interest to see, actually. Not a lot, but more than Gordes (which has nothing that I can recall). http://www.tourisme-pernes.fr/en/

here ios their map with a walk mapped out with some sites on it http://www.tourisme-pernes.fr/upload...ang-2013-1.pdf

I suppose Bonnieux is attractive. NOne of these places are going to take much time, of course. Bonnieux is barely a blip in the road, at least you can drive through it.
Aug 4th, 2015, 11:46 AM

We just got back from a week in the Luberon and loved it. We prefer less touristy villages. You might want to check out Saignon.

We stayed in Bonnieux and found it very charming with a few good restaurants. Didn't get near Gordes because of the mass tourism but maybe it will be less so in October.

You can see our pics are here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gi...57655199440738
Aug 5th, 2015, 03:23 AM

I visted both Gordes and Lacoste one (very hot) days when I was staying in Avignon. I would have enjoyed Lacoste much more without the afternoon heat. As for Gordes, it was just fine because I was there in the morning. Here is my photo report about that day: http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...gordes-lacoste