Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

An Oasis in Summer Rome - Hotel de Russie

Jul 29th, 2001, 07:23 AM
JB

Greetings - just home from Italy and wanted to post about a really lovely oasis in the heart of Old Rome. We stopped to escape the hot sun and throngs of shoppers by slipping inside the Hotel de Russie, located between the Spanish Steps and the Piazza del Popolo on the Via Babuoni. The hotel is built around a gorgeous outdoor garden area for cocktails and snacks. Seated here, you are surrounded by lovely terraced gardens that make you feel like you are out in the country, not in the heart of Roma. It was late afternoon and there was a flute player entertaining - just superb background music in this peaceful, lush spot. The service was effusively friendly and helpful to a table of hot, exhausted Americans. Ice cold Pinot Grigio was served with a delicious snack platter that included homemade salsas and dips. It was so pleasant we ended up spending hours there, reluctant to leave and wishing we could afford the $500 or so per night for a room at this beautiful, calm, peaceful hotel. The whole place looked really fantastic - I would highly recommend checking it out if you are looking for a special place to stay in Rome and prefer a more contemporary hotel to a very traditional one. Location is superb.

Next time I am on a Via Condotti shopping pilgrimage, I will remember this as a fantastic place to stop for a relaxing drink. Has anyone out there stayed here? I wonder if it is as terrific as it looked?

I love Italy,
JB

Jul 29th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Capo

A few weeks ago, someone had asked about a hotel they saw with courtyard, near the Piazza del Popolo. After a bit of speculation, it turned out that this was the hotel they were referring to. We missed seeing it when we were there but it sounds great, so we'd love to check it out next time we're in Rome.

Jul 29th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Diane

Lucky me is guess... we're going to be staying at this hotel in September for our 3 nights in R ome. After this post I can't wait. Thanks for the report.

Jul 29th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Surlok

Romans also do go there for tea or dinner at the "Hotel de Russie" restaurant. I was told by a Roman friend that it has been one of the trendiest places in town lately.

Surlok

PS: by the way, it's at Via del Babuino, not Babuoni.

Jul 29th, 2001, 05:05 PM
Diane

It was me that made the previous post. We have a picture of the terraced garden restaurant from behind and above. Next time we're in Rome we'll have to stop by for cocktails, etc. It really was beautiful.

Jul 30th, 2001, 09:24 AM
JB

Sorry for the typo on the street name, I feel like a baboon.
Anyway, I will be anxious for any trip reports from those of you who are lucky enough to stay here. It seems like it would be a perfect "very special occasion" place to recommend to friends going to Rome. In the meantime, folks, you can soak a lot of the good atmosphere up in the garden!