An interesting article that ponders the question

Jan 29th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Lola

An interesting article that ponders the question

Why Do The French Hate Us....

http://slate.msn.com/id/2077874/

Jan 29th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Michael

And what does this have to do with travel?

Jan 30th, 2003, 02:24 AM

Michael--it's useful to understand how some people may perceive you or your home country during your travels. Whether or not this particular article is correct in its theory, it doesn't hurt to have such insights available before setting out.
Jan 30th, 2003, 04:45 AM

The whole Europe vs. America world views, so well known to posters here, has been getting a lot of press lately. Among the most prominent articles was Robert Kagan's Power and Weakness, as well as many other interesting but less influential pieces. See also Arts & Letters Daily.
Jan 30th, 2003, 04:45 AM
rex

I haven't read it yet, but I agree that it does not seem out of line to think that this is appropriate for a travel board.

Questioning the motives of someone like Lola IS inappropriate, and I think that Fodors should remove the post from Michael. and now that resitration is in place, the Fodors staff can send Michael a polite note, explaining why they removed the post.

It would also be inappropriate for this thread to be a nesting ground for political diatribe on the foreign policies of the GOVERNMENTS of France or the United States.

Best wishes,

Rex
[email protected]
Jan 30th, 2003, 04:53 AM

Seems to me the authors point is they have always hated our leaders.So what? We'll be just fine as long as we spend
$$$$ in france.
Jan 30th, 2003, 05:02 AM

I find it interesting that if someone does not agree with them, people will say that someone hates them. The French don't hate us they just disagree with us.
Jan 30th, 2003, 05:22 AM
Lola

I had wanted to share this article on here because of the numerous posts from people wanting to know if the French are rude and either asking if they hate Americans or Why they hate Americans.
Since the topic is often discussed here, not only about the French but Europeans in general, it seemed a timely article to post.
Sometimes it is refreshing to Think rather than to just wonder what to wear.

Jan 30th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Brutforce

I have never personally experienced this in my travels to France. Perhaps instead of asking these questions they should go & form an opinion themselves ??

Jan 30th, 2003, 05:54 AM
ira

Can we be sure that the French hate us?
Jan 30th, 2003, 05:59 AM

The only thing I've ever been able to get out of articles like this is the fact that Americans apparently hate the French, not the other way around. Otherwise why would so many Americans go to such great lengths to point out the "hatred" of the French?
Jan 30th, 2003, 07:08 AM

Like so many sweeping statements, this is an exaggeration with just a little bit of truth to it.

The French do have a certain "attitude" about the US and Americans in general. I have several theories explaining why:

1. The language factor - French used to be the preeminent language of the western world. The French really resent the fact that it now is English, the language of their old enemy, Britain.

2. Having once been a powerful nation, eating humble pie is not something the proud French like to do. (Besides having to eat all that ghastly American food!)

3. Unlike the US, and much of Europe, the French have suffered centuries of devastating wars. This is one reason they are likely to criticize American eagerness to go to war. And who can blame them for that?

My favorite phrase about the French is Professor Higgins' line from "My Fair Lady": The French don't care what they do as long as they pronounce it correctly.

The French do have much to be proud of - their language, literature, culture and fine cuisine. So, although I'm no Francophile, I still look forward to my return trip to France.
Jan 30th, 2003, 07:10 AM

That's all IMHO opinion, of course, so feel free to disagree but please don't flame me!
Jan 30th, 2003, 07:12 AM

Sorry for the mistake in pt. 3, what I mean is that unlike the US and LIKE most of Europe, the French have suffered centuries of war ...

Mea culpa...
Jan 30th, 2003, 07:56 AM

It doesn't seem a lot of people ponder the following question. Instead of bashing yourselves for being American and wondering why the French may hate you, ponder this instead: have you EVER observed and/or overheard French people talk about themselves when they are on vacation? Have you ever listened to one group talking about the other group? It's a study in group psychology. A conversation may go something like this about the other French group or French tourist: "Darn! Why did those Frenchmen have to come on this trip? We thought we'd be the only ones! They are so disgusting! Can you believe? We better move to the other car so they won't think we're French." To all of you who waste your time wondering why the French may hate you, you may wish to begin wondering why they hate themselves. Just a thought.
Jan 30th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Hello all!
The French hate us Americans because we package our best cheese in an aerosol can.
Happy Travels,
Rick
Jan 30th, 2003, 08:59 AM

No way Rick! Our best cheese comes in individual plastic-wrapped slices!