Last war

Jan 28th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Last war

I was wondering, how many people were overseas when the last Gulf War happened? Did people come right home, did they stay, did they have any difficulties traveling?
I hope to be off to England in Marhc or April, it wont be a planned trip but a quick getaway for a long weekend....
Jan 28th, 2003, 03:19 PM

I was living in Europe at the time of the Gulf War. Frankly, there seemed to be little difference in the number of tourists and visitors.

It did not last very long, but I traveled around Europe and took one trip to a middle eastern Country with absolutley no difficulty or discomfort at all.

Rich
Jan 28th, 2003, 03:49 PM

I was in Italy, near the big American air base in Vicenza. Other than hearing a lot of large, loud planes taking off frequently, it didn't affect our plans at all.
Jan 28th, 2003, 04:54 PM

I live in Paris. During the Gulf War everything was business as usual except: no trash cans in the subways, streets, anywhere. The French police do that. The minute there's something going on, they take them all away or seal them up. At the airport, increased security. Lots of CRS (military police) around with machine guns. I felt that was a great thing. In public buildings, the same thing (more than usual security checks at the door). Other than that, no respite from the tons and tons of Japanese tourists everywhere stepping out of the bus on rue Cambon and taking photos outside of Chanel. And there were many, many Americans too. And I thought that was a good thing too. Everything was completely fine, but then again, France is a pretty well policed country, and Paris is quite safe.
Jan 28th, 2003, 05:47 PM

I was a student in Japan at that time and did come home a month early. There was a bomb scare at the Bangkok Airport, and a general fear that terrorism would increase. My parents were worried and I was homesick, so off I went.

I didn't have any problems travelling, but neither did my friends who left for the US after I did.
Jan 28th, 2003, 09:20 PM

Travelled in Germany during the Gulf War.

Was frisked at the airport upon arrival& departure, and remember seeing a tank stationed in front of an ElAl jet in Frankfurt.

My husbands brother was in the reserves and got sent over, so we had an impromptu family reunion at Ramstein Air Base.
Jan 30th, 2003, 09:13 AM

I was living/ traveling in Italy during the last Gulf war. With the exception of the additional security at locations frequented by tourists such as the American Express office and McDonalds, there was little to no difference.