An evening in Dublin with a child

Aug 9th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

An evening in Dublin with a child

I am looking for entertainment, music, something to do in the evening with a child in our group. Due to the 6 hour time change, nobody is going to be ready for bed early!

I'm not sure a pub crawl is going to be the right thing for a six year old. It doesn't look like much theatre is available for our dates and the one walking tour I was planned is no longer operating.

We'll be there early October.

Deb
Aug 9th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Deb, I'm interested to see your responses, as we will be going with our then 3 year old next spring/summer for 2 weeks. You'll have to tell me how it goes!
Aug 10th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Deb,

Not sure when you will arrive but if there's time, the Zoo in Dublin is great for kids of all ages. For obvious reasons I would not take a 6 or 3 year old on a pub crawl but you should be able to find restaurants/pubs with music going on early enough in the day. Try to grab an early dinner with music playing if possible then head out for a walk through Grafton St and down to St Stephen's Green (large open park in the middle of Dublin) I believe that children are welcome in pubs with adults up until 8pm at night. (Double check that time though...)

See if you can't find, or bring with you, an activity book for the 6 year old about Dublin/Ireland or play a game to spot how things are the same as where you are from and how they are different while you guys do some walking about Dublin. Again, if it's early enough, grab the hop on-hop off bus to visit some of the more popular sights. Just the activity should be excitement enough I would think for the young one.

Lastly, search this forum by putting in "Children" or "Kids" in the Serach section and then highlight the "Ireland" Topic. Many past posts will pop up for you for activities...

Safe travels,

Wendy
Aug 10th, 2005, 07:58 AM

You probably could bring a child to the Hooley room or the restaurant in Johnny Fox's in the Dublin mountains. It's more a dinner and show. http://www.jfp.ie/ . Its a tougher time of year as not much is happening for kids at night. Also you could just go to temple bar and have a dinner in the Hard Rock Cafe. or maybe something like Wagamamma could be fun...in it's defense it is not "Chinese Food" its more japanese and asian mix and cheap and tasty. Chinese food I find inedible in most places here but Wagamamma is fun quick and tasty and very child friendly.

Also another place could be outdoors at the Enoteca della Langhe. Its an italian quarter with a wine bar and sometimes Tango or Salsa dancing outside at the weekends. A child would be welcome here if you ordered food as well I would think.
Aug 10th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas! A restaurant/pub with live music would be terrific. If anyone else has any ideas where a 6 year old would be welcome, please post.

She is a mature, well behaved child and very accustomed to travel and dining out. I'd rather have entertainment that a quick meal.

I'll check out the restaurants posted above.

Deb