An apartment in Rome for one!

Old Jun 18th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An apartment in Rome for one!

Hi, I am a professor who is arriving in Rome three days ahead of my students next May. I think I would enjoy the extra space and comfort of an apartment before I must move to the tour company's hotel, but do not know which agencies are most reliable. I would like to be in the Piazza Navonna area, but am flexible. Safety and cleanliness are important, and A/C is a requirement as well. I would prefer to say under $200 per night for a one bedroom. Does anyone here have any favorites to mention? I would appreciate any help you can offer! Thanks
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 11:28 AM

I usually stay in hotels, but www.booking.com , where I usually find my hotel room, has both hotels and apartments. You can specify your destination as "Rome Piazza Navona", or just "Rome city centre". On the left you can check the kind of accommodation you want. The reviews are reliable, because booking.com accepts reviews only from people who have been verified to have stayed in the lodging.

I've been using booking.com for about five years for nearly all my trips, and have been very satisfied with them. Many apartments require a large cash payment on arrival, but most of those on booking.com accept credit cards. Be sure to check this before reserving.

Some hotels in Rome also manage apartments, either on or off site. I know the Hotel Campo dei Fiori does, but it may be over your budget. This allows you to use all the facilities of the hotel. The Hotel Mozart also has apartments, off site.

I have sometimes rented apartments from other agencies, including Rome Sweet Home, which gets some bad reviews, although I had no problem with them. I also once rented from www.lastminute.com , another listing agency that has both hotels and apartments.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 12:10 PM

You can also try Cross Pollinate for apartments in Rome:

http://www.cross-pollinate.com/rome/p/1

I've used them a few times (including for Rome) though not recently. I liked them when traveling solo because prices for one seemed lower than for two, which you typically don't see with apartments and rooms. They usually have fairly generous cancellation policies, though personally I would never book anywhere near this early for next May. But you can search now just to get some ideas as to what prices might be for what kinds of places.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 12:32 PM

Last year we stayed in an the "Roman Forum" apartment from dolceroma.it. It's can also be found on Flipkey and VRBO (which is actually how we rented it). The apartment was very comfortable and extremely quiet. Natalie and Walter were really lovely to work with. They even provide a cell phone to use while you're there. It cost 120 Euro a night and does allow for three night stays. Walter helped us with dinner reservations and a shuttle to the airport. I have no doubt that if anything had come up, he would have helped in a flash.

It is located in Monti, which many will say isn't an ideal location for a first time visit. I personally really liked it because it was a bit removed from the tourist hordes and the neighborhood is lively with a lot of local flavor. We stayed in the neighborhood for another couple of nights this past May. The area is safe and the apartment is just steps from the Cavour metro stop.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 02:31 PM

That's just 175 euro per night which is very low for the area you require. Try VRBO and check the owner's communication and the reviews.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 04:29 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't forget Airbnb.com which often has more variety & less expensive offerings. On a recent trip in Europe 21 of my 27 nights were rented through the site.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies so far. Please keep them coming!

As I said earlier, I am willing to be flexible with location. One poster suggested that it is a bit early to book for next May, and I agree. Since I have never rented an apartment before, I am being proactive with information gathering.

I am especially interested in information about helpful owners/managers and apartments that were just as represented. I will be doing the tourist thing when the kids arrive and thus am interested in a relaxed experience in nice area with various dining options before they join me. It will be the calm before the storm, so to speak!
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 04:54 PM

One trip to Rome I stayed in Trastevere, across the river from many of the usual sights that you may be seeing with your students, with an entirely different feel. A good area to walk (not that the rest of the city isn't), close to the Vatican, less urban with it's own personality, walks & views from the parkland (Parco del Gianicolo) just above. I liked it very much and will stay there again if I return.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 04:57 PM

I've made many apartment reservations well in advance. When I locate a property I like for a price I like (I like a good bargain) for a trip I'm committed to, I reserve it. I only rent apartments with nearly universal good reviews and a pretty solid track record. Most require a modest deposit; I feel like the risk is low. I rented the apartment I mentioned above about 10 months in advance. Looking at their vrbo calendar, they already have bookings posted for next May.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 05:15 PM

I agree with indyhiker, when you find what you want, book it. I begin booking as soon as flights are in place, often using miles so well in advance, and never experienced a downside.

With Airbnb, assuming you don't book one with a "strict" cancellation policy, if you do have to cancel, which I have once, the only loss is the booking fee, well worth taking the chance to book early.
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 10:11 AM

We have booked this apartment for our visit this fall. It is in the Pantheon/Piazza Novona area and has good reviews. The price is definitely within your range.VRBO Listing #590256

We stayed in a Trastevere apartment owned by Alessio at http://www.angelishouse.it. in 2012. He also has other apartments in Rome. He is very easy to deal with and I would recommend him highly.

Buon viaggio!