Amusing (?) article on pickpocketing from the NY Times

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The attached address will take you to an article from the March 9 NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/09/business/09flier.html

Registration is required but it's free.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:57 PM
yk

jsmith-

Thanks for posting the link.
It amazes me that even the writer, who films pickpockets as a living, still managed to have his video recorder stolen. One more good reason to carry a money belt.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:58 PM

To hold your video recorder?
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:15 PM

so this guy stands around videotaping people getting robbed? does he do anything about it? something about the article didn't sound right to me.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:24 PM
yk

What I was trying to say is that the pickpockets are so good at what they do, even the most seasibed & vigilant traveler can fall victim to them (such as being on a packed metro in Rome).
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:54 PM

I was talking about European pickpockets with a fellow traveller from the US just yesterday. We agreed that some of them are so sly/clever that you *almost* want to give them something for their trouble - it's a little like street performance.... (Think of Oliver Twist and the Artful Dodger. )

Certainly takes more skill and cunning than mugging someone at gun or knifepoint, which is the preferred method of relieving others of their money in the States. And while inconvenient, is also not life-threatening.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:59 PM
yk

Before I get caught by the *spelling* police:

Horrified to see I typed "seasibed"!
What was that?!?! No, I'm not on drugs.
I meant "seasoned".
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 03:43 PM

Actually, muggings at knife or gun point are becoming more and more common in European cities.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:01 PM

Amen! I'm always irritated by the pickpocketing posts - invariably, several people will post something along the following lines: "I have traveled to Europe 11 times a year for the past 30 years, and I just walk with my head held high, aware of my surroundings. If you just pay attention to your surroundings and are careful, you won't be pickpocketed - just be smart."

The implication is that savvy, frequent travelers who are "aware" will never get pickpocketed, because they are SO smart, and that only stupid people get pickpocketed.

Now, granted, I admit that if a pickpocket is choosing between a stupid-looking tourist gawking at a map and wearing a fanny pack/bum bag, and an "aware" traveler, the pickpocket is more likely to choose the distracted tourist.

Husband and I were just in Naples in January. He had just gotten a lot of cash, and we specifically discussed that we needed to be careful with it, particularly since Naples is known for pickpocketing. He put the cash in his wallet, in the back pocket of his trousers (I know, but let me finish), buttoned up, and he was wearing a mid-thigh length trench coat, also buttoned! Took the bus to the train station - husband was standing, holding on to a waist-high rail. The bus was PACKED with people. We were all packed in like sardines, constant bumping. Husband says a few times after a bump he'd sort of casually press his lower arm to his backside to see if his wallet was still there, and it still was. It was only when we got to Pompeii and went to pay that he noticed that while the wallet was there, ALL THE MONEY WAS GONE.

In London the previous year, I THROUGH MY FAULT ALONE had my bag stolen, as I had set it on the floor next to me while looking for shoes. Again, completely my fault, no one but myself to blame.

However, when I went to the police station to report it for insurance reasons, there were over a dozen other people also reporting pickpockets.

One was a tourist who had been wearing a backpack - the pickpocket had managed to open TWO outside pockets, grabbing her digital camera and her wallet, all without her knowing.

Another one was a male Londoner in his mid-twenties who was complaining that he'd be late for work. I don't know where he had his wallet (probably back jeans pocket), but he wasn't a small town hick tourist on his first trip to the big city.

The last lady I talked to was a very sharp elderly lady (also living in London) who'd had her purse tucked tightly under her elbow (it was the kind with a short shoulder strap so that the bag lays under your elbow, with only one zipper on the top). She swears she always keeps it zipped, and in fact, that was the only way she'd known she'd been pickpocketed - the next time she stopped, she noticed it was unzipped.

I completely agree that being aware of your surroundings and belongings, and practicing smart travel habits is good advice for avoiding pickpocketing. I just resent the (common) implication that this will PREVENT pickpocketing, and that only stupid hick tourists just off the boat will get pickpocketed.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 08:01 PM

I agree with you Andrea, I was in Naples a few years ago with a man who was born and raised there and before we walked to a restaurant, he took off his good watch and jewelry, put his wallet in his inside jacket pocket that zipped shut and asked me to cover up my necklace.

I have rigged my purse to make it harder to be opened, the top zipper closes close to the strap so I put a gold metal ring to attach the zipper tab to the purse strap. It makes it harder to me to open but it keeps other hands out too, at least so far.
It doesn't look bad either, maybe I will start a new style!