Amsterdam- What kind of coat??

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam- What kind of coat??

Will be shopping for daughter (with her, of course!)- she's going end of January. Was assuming a warm wool coat, but what about the rain? And can you wear something longer than a jacket while riding a bike?!

And she's planning on tall Uggs for her feet- is that the best choice? thanks.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 09:09 AM

Is she moving to Amsterdam or just visiting?
A wool coat may be too warm, and won't be very waterproof. It will be miserable if she gets caught in a downpour - not at the time maybe but when next she want to wear it. Whilst it is chilly here at the moment, it may not be for long. A better bet is just a normal waterproof coat, which she can wear over other layers should it be cold.
Yes you can cycle with a long coat - bikes have chain guards on them. But it offers little extra protection than a shorter coat as you have to be able to move your legs freely.
Most people here wear either ordinary leather boots, or shoes, but Uggs will be fine. She should have an alternative with her though for if the weather is friendly, or she wants to do something a bit dressy.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 09:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Uggs are fine but not so great in rain, they are better in dry cold or light snow. She'll also want a normal shoe or boot that is more waterproof. I'm not sure Uggs are the best footwear for bike riding either!

Wool is OK, but again for cold or snow not so much for rain. She'll want to add at least an umbrella.

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your response, hetismij, that's great to hear from someone who lives there!

She is going on a college study-abroad program, and will be there til early June. We thought it was going to be not just chilly, but cold! for many months to come. And rainy too. So are you recommending more like a raincoat? One that is not so heavy, but to layer over warmer things under it?
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 09:40 AM

What is she going for? And for how long? Holiday or to live?

Is she going to need anything formal to go to the office in, or just something warm and comfy for being a tourist?

If she is just visiting, I'd forget the wool coat and just get something waterproof and fairly warm, without being too thick, as it's more flexible to layer up than possibly end up baking under a thick coat.

You can cycle in a long coat - but she is not likely to need a long coat? Depending on what she is doing of course.

Shoes/boots. Uggs look very warm but they don't strike me as being very practical otherwise. Suede isn't waterproof. but of course she may just like them, ok, but make sure she takes a 'change' in case they get soaked.

Just normal shoes/boots are fine.

Where is she travelling from? She may not actually need anything different to what she wears at home...
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 11:11 AM

I was in Amsterdam a few years ago in March. I had a raincoat that I layered over other things. Worked great cause it did get drizzly several times.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 11:24 AM

Rain and firece winds (they howl down the canals and make any chilly temperature feel a lot colder) are what she needs to guard against. Get her a long raincoat (below the knees, that fabulous European look) that has a warm lining that comes out in Spring. She'll still wear it into May on cold and rainy days, but without the lining.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 01:01 PM

HI there,
I was in Amsterdam last Xmas and took my Northface Metropolis down coat, which is just above the knee. It was perfect for all types of weather, light weight and water resistant. The double zipper made it great for a bike and the hood was handy for sudden showers. Also, because it is down, it keeps you warm w/o having to layer up. The college girls I know suggested this coat and I love it. Look online for some great deals now.
As for shoes, go for a waterproof boot rather than just the Uggs. The Uggs are cute but not so supportive for walking or waterproof for snow, ice, sleet, and rain. Riker makes great waterproof boots that are lightweight and good for walking and foul weather.
Invest in some warm gloves,too and warm hat and scarf. Most of all enjoy Amsterdam, it is a fantastic city! I'm jealous!
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 02:11 PM

At the moment it is hovering around 0 to -3C during the day, colder at night, so not cold by US standards. But it won't last long I fear (I happen to like this cold and clear weather), and we will be back to cool and wet again.
If your daughter is here for some time then definitely a waterproof coat that will see her through to the warmer spring days, with layers underneath is the most practical solution.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 02:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi nvl,

i would suggest just giving her the dosh to spend when she gets there!

assuming she is a late teen/early twenties, she'll want the same sort of thing that everyone else has got, which will be freely available in all the shops in A'dam. and it'll be just right for the prevailing conditions too.

ditto the shoes/boots.

overall, keeping the rain out is the recioe for keeping warm, too.

regards, ann

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 02:52 PM

I was there last year in June, it was quite cool and rainy.

My grandaughter had to buy a warm jacket because we brought only summer attires.
Luckily I packed a cardigan and I wore a scarf with it.

Amesterdam is very picturesque.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 02:52 PM

--Amsterdam-
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 02:57 PM

Waterproof, waterproof, waterproof. Amsterdam isn't that cold, but it can get there.

My vote would be for a good waterproof shell (Gore-tex, etc.). I would then pair it with a couple of different sub-layers - a good fleece, and maybe a decent down/synthetic vest. Flexibility is great. Remember that one might spend little time outside when it is hot. A very warm jacket is great when outside, but quickly becomes heavy, burdensome, and sweaty if you are dodging from heated bus to heated building.

For the feet, I would look at something waterproof. Wool socks should be plenty of insulation for 99% of days.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 03:01 PM

"when it is hot" should read, "when it is cold".
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 06:36 PM

Curious as to where she is studying in Amsterdam and what major or courses?
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

thanks, everyone, for your responses.

dutyfree, I wanted to respond to your question- her study-abroad program is run by ciee- kids from universities all across the US, and overseas too, study at various locations, with different courses of study offered. Check it out at ciee.org if you're interested!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 08:41 PM

nvl325-I have seen their website but my kids are grad school age now.When my kids were doing their undergrad,my son studied in Torino Italy and Prague while my daughter studied in Ortigia Sicily.Studying overseas is a great experience!

We are now in the process of looking at grad schools overseas in English for my daughter so was curious as to what school or major your daughter was taking.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 09:14 PM

I'm from california. Went to amsterdam about 10 days ago. It's was freezing...I could barely stand it. I had on like 5 layers...lol. t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, a fleece, and a northface outer jacket w/ a hood. All of this and it was still really cold. Took a tour around on a boat for 7 euros, ate some fries at this place which sells only fries (fries and mayo?....where's the ketchup?), and saw a couple of other tourist places. also stopped by and saw the windmills. Even thinking of amsterdam now gives me the chills....brrrr....
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:11 AM

nvl - I had to laugh, this post is almost exactly like one I made last year before DH and I, from California, moved to Amsterdam for a year beginning last August. I too was mystified about what kind of coat worked best for cold, wet weather. The only coat I owned was a raincoat.

Anyway, I used the raincoat for fall and then when the weather started turning cold I bought a lined knee-length black wool coat here in Amsterdam. To give you an idea of prices: it was on sale for 40 Euro (marked down from 150) and is actually quite a nice coat. While I am long past my twenties, I see many, many twenty-somethings wearing black wool coats every day - my DD who is 20 and at school in Paris has one too. They come in many different cuts and styles so can be more interesting than they sound and stand up well to city grime.

So far (and this is my first winter in Amsterdam so I am certainly no expert), I have been surprised by the weather. It is not as bad as I expected. I used to live in Oregon and believe me Oregon weather is worse - rainier, colder, grayer.

The rain here (again just my experience so far) is hardly ever a real downpour. Often I don't even bother to put up my umbrella, even though I have it with me. Wool is a great water-repellent and my coat has never gotten soaked. Also the weather here is so changeable, rain doesn't seem to last all that long - often if you duck into a doorway for 10 minutes, the rain's practically over.

The weather has been quite cold lately (for a Californian anyway) and the swans and ducks have been walking on the canals rather than swimming in them - they are frozen. But as I walk around town the wool coat has worked very well to keep me warm and comfortable.

The one thing I did get was a good wool hat (the Waterlooplein street market has a good selection)- it has made a big difference in how warm I feel when it's really cold.

We love Amsterdam - I hope your daughter will too!

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:57 AM

No wool coat, it's heavy, not rainproof and takes forever to dry. Get one of those 3-in-1 rain jackets with a zip-in fleece lining, GoreTex or similar. These things keep you warm and dry in wind and rain, and without the lining they can be used as rain jacket in warmer seasons/climates.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -