Amsterdam to Paris

Search

Amsterdam to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2016, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam to Paris

We will be disembarking a river cruise in Amsterdam mid September and had planned on travelling by train to Bruges for 3 days and then onto Paris for 4 days before flying home to Australia via Hong Kong. Following the recent activities in Belgium we are thinking perhaps we should re consider our plans and would really appreciate input from fellow travellers.

If we do cancel this part of our trip we had thought of spending a few days in Denmark or maybe the south of France (although this will also involve travelling down to Paris by train en route)

Thoughts from travellers would be much appreciated
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 10:37 PM

If you think it is better than cancel. Or go wherever you want. Schipol is a big airport you will have no prob going anywhere.
What kind of thoughts are you hoping for ?
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 12:18 AM

The objective, statistical chance of something happening during your stay is next to zero. But if you don't feel comfortable with the idea, you should change your plans.
A good destination, not too far away from Amsterdam, is northern Germany. Undeservedly much overlooked. Lübeck is a nice and interesting base. With advance reservation (from 3 months before departure date) on www.bahn.de/p_en/view/index.shtml you can get huge discounts.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 12:40 AM

As Tom says statistically the changes of you falling victim to a terrorist attack are minute, but if you don't feel comfortable with your plans change them.

Can you change you return flight home so you don't have to get to Paris for it? If not then fly to Paris and spend the time there or maybe explore more of the Netherlands, and then fly to Paris for your return flight.

If yes then take a train to northern Germany, or fly to somewhere else in Europe.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 01:07 AM

You do know that Denmark has received threats as well? Perhaps better fly back home after your cruise.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 01:24 AM

Daesh is reportedly looking for recruits to carry out attacks on Germany soon, so I'd stay away from there. And they're looking at Denmark, too. There is absolutely no logical way to plan a trip around theoretical terrorist events, so I wouldn't tax my brain trying.

We just spent a lovely 8 days in the Pays Basque and were in and out of airports and train stations with some frequency. We had a marvelous trip, but that is of course entirely irrelevant to you.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 03:38 AM

Pays Bas. StCirq. Lowlands.
Autocorrect playing tricks.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 03:43 AM

Pays Basque = Baskenland Whathello. Also a hotbed of separatists... You were lucky to get out alive St Cirq
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 04:45 AM

Ja.
I was nearly blown to pieces in Santander. 20 years ago.

They gave the expression in French : ´parler le français comme un Basque l'Espagnol. ´

Since they refused at the time to speak anything but Basque.

The expression is often used with as ending ´comme une vache espagnole. ´.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 05:00 AM

To the OP: it's impossible to predict what will happen where. Is Copenhagen safer than Brugge? Is Amsterdam safer than Paris? Will you be safe on your river cruise? There have been terrorist attacks in Sydney too.

If you have planned to see Brugge and Paris, then go there.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 05:06 AM

I'm taking a train from Amsterdam to Paris on May 12.

I have a part-time job at a wine shop five minutes from my house.

My commute to and from the store is more potentially hazardous than my three-hour train ride next month. (So many irresponsible, impatient drivers!)
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 09:47 AM

Ack, whathello! I do know the difference, and no we weren't in the Pays Basque, though I wouldn't have minded being there, either.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 03:05 AM

Belgium is now the safest place to go, surely?

Based on previous experience, at least.

Has no-one worked out that there were NO subsequent attacks in New York after 2001, in London after 2007, or in Paris after 2015?
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 03:42 AM

Istanbul ?
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 01:54 PM

The OP never mentioned the reason was fear or terrorism, in fact. Perhaps that was the issue, have no idea but don't see the need to mock the poster. It could be an issue just that it might not be the most pleasant place to be right nor or logistical problems. I have no idea, the OP doesn't say what the thinking is.

If one wants to avoid Belgium, you could still easily just take the train from Amsterdam to Paris and not stop off in Belgium.

And in fact, the statement about Paris and Belgium above is obviously completely wrong given there were two attacks in Paris now -- the Charlie Hebdo one in Jan 2015 and then the worst one in the 10th-11th arrondisements in Nov 2015. And aside form the recent terrible one in Brussels, there was that shooting and stabbing incident on the Thalys train between Amsterdam and Paris where the assailant was stopped by some passengers in 2015, also.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 01:59 PM

oh, and there have been at least four Islamist attacks or attempts in New York since 2011, also. One was an attempt to detonate a bomb at the Federal Reserve. They just weren't as big as 2011 and they are being caught earlier sometimes. One in 2014 attacked four policemen with a hatchet and had posted about jihad online before that.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 07:46 PM

To the OP, I was on a river cruise that ended in Amsterdam in December and we had planned to take the train to Paris after the cruise and fly home from there. When the November attack happened in Paris we considered whether to try to reschedule and fly home from Amsterdam but decided to stick with our original plan. While on the cruise there was a terrorist attack in my home county in the U.S.

If it were me I would stick with the original plan but if you will be too anxious to enjoy it then choose another location. But I had a lovely time in Paris.
Old Apr 16th, 2016, 07:16 AM

<i>
Amsterdam to Paris
Posted by: mrsi on Apr 2, 16 at 1:35am
Posted in: Europe
Tagged: Belgium
Following the recent activities in Belgium we are thinking perhaps we should re consider our plans and would really appreciate input from fellow travellers.</i>

Don't let the bastards get you down.