Reload this Page >

Amsterdam subway?

Search

Amsterdam subway?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 10:11 AM
x

Amsterdam subway?

Having a difficult time finding a room in Amsterdam, but there is a hotel near the "Amstel" stop of the subway. Is this area desirable? Is it too far out of the way? Would a single young woman feel comfortable riding the subway to and from the city center in the evenings? Thank you.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Colin

Amsterdam being below sea level has no Subway system, I would be happy to inform you of some of the more intresting canal systems that we could both visit with pleasure.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 10:42 AM
oh

x:<BR>I think you might need to research Amsterdam a bit more. It is a very nice city and a single woman can have agreat time there. The public transport system is a tram sysytem. It is extremely easy to use and very safe. Just keep your wits about you. What is the name of the hotel you are talking about?

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 10:50 AM
x

Thanks guys, guess I'm a bit dizzy today! It's the hotel v. I just got the directions confused, it says subway to Amstel stop to tram 12 stop at victoriplein. Now I understand I can ignore the subway part of it! It looks pretty far out on the map, but I can't really tell.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Bel

It is a little far out of the way. I wouldn't recommend staying that far from the city center, although I suppose it depends what you want to see in Amsterdam. Look at the map at this link<BR>http://www.metropla.net/eu/ams/amsterdm.htm and compare it to a map of Amsterdam you may have; you'll see what I mean.<BR><BR>BTW Colin, while it is generally referred to as a "metro" rather than a subway, the 3.5 km stretch between the Amstel stop and Central Station is underground, sea level be damned.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Simon

But of course there is a subway system in Amsterdam, though in Europe we tend to call it the metro and it my be overland as well as underground. It does not, to the best of my knowledge, cover the central part. I wouldn't stay there. Not nice, if I recall the station well enough (it's been 10 years).

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 10:58 AM
x

Thanks, I don't want to be so far out. It's just so difficult to find a hotel under 100Euro! Of course I'm going the biggest week of the year. Anyone know if there's an unadvertised hotel market that doesn't show up on the big booking websites?

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Sjoerd

The metro (subway) in Amsterdam goes from Centraal Station via Nieuwmarkt, Waterlooplein, Weesperplein, Wibautstraat stations to Amstel station. About 8 minutes from CS to Amstel station. The line continues above ground to Duivendrecht where it branches out to (final destinations) Gaasperplas and Gein stations. <BR>Amstel area is not the nicest area in town. Didn't even know there is a hotel in that area. Probably not the best place to stay for a single woman.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Bel

x, have you tried bookings.nl or octopustravel.com? Look there for cheaper hotels. Good luck! =)