Reload this Page >

Amsterdam: Prinsen, Piet Hein or Owl Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 03:10 PM
JB

I am looking for feedback on these three hotels for our trip to Amsterdam in November. Being a regular lurker on this site (but never before researching Amsterdam), I know the Owl gets mentioned often...so I'm assuming it gets good reviews!?! <BR><BR>However, with the search function down today I can't verify this assumption, nor can I look up the other hotels we are interested in (Prinsen or Piet Hein...and I'll also throw in the Bellington!). <BR><BR>Can anybody give me first-hand knowledge about any of these hotels in the Leidesplein/Vondelpark neighborhood? One of my travel partners is going on vacation on 9/11 and we're hoping to get our reservations arranged before he leaves. Thanks!

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Alice

Sorry, no first-hand knowledge from me, but I researched the Prinsen and the Piet Hein, and the only reason I'm not staying at Prinsen in Oct is b/c there was no avail. for my dates. It was my first choice. Piet Hein was my 2nd choice. Bellington is on the short-list. Piet Hein had a delayed response(doesn't offer availability info on bookings.nl) and I'd already booked elsewhere. <BR>I'd choose Prinsen or Piet Hein over the Owl - the Owl seems to fall into the budget category and I read some references that implied a strong youth clientele invoking an atmosphere not in tune with my age/interests. All are in a great area, very nice, quiet, close to trams and Leidseplein (restaurants, cinema, etc) and the museums. You might look for reviews on www.channels.nl, there are a few there.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:04 PM
richardab

I stayed in the Owl a few years ago and it was a pleasant experience. It on a real quiet street near the active Leidseplein. It a good bet for the money!<BR><BR>I also stayed in the Westropa which is close-by. Inexpensive but good accomadations. Simple and basic with a friendly staff and a good breakfast!<BR><BR>http://www.westropa.demon.nl/

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:32 PM
nicole

We could not stay at the Owl Hotel as planned. However, I can safely recommend the hotel based on the efficiency and courtesy of its staff while helping me make reservations. Questions were answered promptly.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 02:58 AM
erica

I stayed at the Owl hotel last spring and it was wonderful. Very accommodating staff, clean, very convenientand safe location,good breakfast. price okay. Cant go wrong staying there.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Alice

Ok,Ok, you like the Owl Hotel! I do know that it is on a very quiet street, b/c we stayed at the Terdam right next to it, and I could see the front door from our window. I think the larger issue for JB will be whether he/she can get a room at any of these hotels at this point! Hopefully Nov. isn't as busy as September/Oct.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Elaine

Stayed at the Prinsen a couple of years ago and, although it was nothing special, it was perfectly fine for a few days. Had a nice, friendly barman too, as I recall.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Susan

Can't comment on the specific hotels, but was in Amsterdam my 1st trip for 5 days this past June. And I definitely recommend the neighborhood!!! Great locations. (Leidseplein & Vondelpark over the areas I saw around central, train station, the Dam, red light, etc.)

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 02:05 PM
JB

Thanks to all of you for the information. This is my first trip to Amsterdam, and that area was recommended to me by a friend who was there a few years ago. According to what I've read other places and now here, it looks like he was right!<BR><BR>So the neighborhood was the easy choice, now for the hard part: the hotel choice! There is actually availability at all three places for my dates in late November. <BR><BR>The Owl is the cheapest by about 20 euros a night, but the Piet Hein was the friendliest and quickest to respond to my queries. (I know, this is may or may not be an indication of what their actual, in-person service will be like, but what can I say!? I have no patience and am impressed by the fact I received an answer from them within 20 minutes!)<BR><BR>So how about it, any more feedback for me before I take the plunge? Thanks in advance!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:10 PM
HARVEY

I STAYED AT THE OWL LAST SPRING AND IT WAS FINE--NOTHING FANCY--BUT FINE. THE STAFF WAS VERY HELPFUL. I SECOND ALL THE STUFF ABOVE.