Amsterdam, Paris & Barcelona in 2 weeks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2016, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, this is my first post here so I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes if it's repeated, I tried searching first and got a general idea, but I'm looking for something a little tailored.
I'm planning my first trip to Europe with my wife next June, we have 2 weeks for that trip (might squeeze in an extra day or 2 depending on how much I beg at work )
My plan is to fly in to Amsterdam and fly out of Barcelona, our other must-go-to city on the trip is Paris, but I have no idea how long to stay in each city, the best means of transportation from each city to the next, and if this itinerary allows me to add in a couple days in another city along the way (Bruges/Brussels?).
I am pretty open to any suggestions, and am looking forward to shape up my trip according to your input. Thanks a lot in advance for all your help...
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 04:22 AM

When you say 2 weeks do you mean departing Fri night and returning 3 Sundays later (17 days) or do you mean 14 days? And realize that you then really have 14.5 days on the ground, since the arrival day will be 1/2 day and you will likely be jet lagged.

You can fit what you want in your time schedule - but we can;t really tell you how long to stay where - you need to do the research to see what you want to see where. Try the Michelin green guides which have a LOT of info on sights along with star ratings and how long it takes to see them.

One example:

Amsterdam: 3.5 days
Train to Paris: 1/2 day
Paris: 5.5 days
Train to Barcelona: 1/2 day
Barcelona: 4.5 days

This would allow you to do one day trip from Paris (Versailles? Chartres? Giverney?) and consider one from Barcelona.

This is time enough to begin to get a feel for each city. If you want you can cut this back but that will be adding more travel time - versus seeing/doing time - to the itinerary.
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 04:22 AM

What are you interests?

What is your budget?

What is your level of ease with travel? So, have you ever driven in a foreign country, do you like trains? Do you prefer to takes planes, etc.

Everyone will need to know minimally the above before being able to give you constructive assistance.

If you have 2 weeks you could probably fit in another stop on the way but still, would need to know the above to help out.

Best of luck,
Laura
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 04:42 AM

You can stop between Amsterdam and PAris in Bruxelles and visit the city (put luggage in lockers) then carry on -lots of trains from Bxl to Paris.

That means you mean two tickets = Amst-Bxl + Bxl->Paris.
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 06:21 AM

Amsterdam-Paris in 3h20 centre to centre from €35 upwards, train every hour or two, www.thalys.com or www.b-europe.com

Paris-Barcelona in 6h25 centre to centre from €59 - flying would take 5h of RER train, airport, flight, airport, train - and the train ride is fun, see http://www.seat61.com/Paris-to-Barce...-TGV-train.htm for photos & video.

Book this at www.captaintrain.com and choose an upstairs seat on this 200mph double decker.

Departures at 10:07 & 14:07 daily, also 07:15 & 16:07 at peak summer times.