Amsterdam - Palenq guide and side trips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2016, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am spending a couple of weeks in Amsterdam towards the end of May. I have done a lot of searching on Fodors, of course, and someone mentioned Palenq's Amsterdam guide. Is this still available P? If so could I please have it?

My son and I are also thinking of taking a mini break for two nights, three full days from Amsterdam and the Netherlands. He lives in Amsterdam and would like a break preferably somewhere in the countryside. I have done heaps of looking, thinking, looking at maps, googling etc. he recently toured around Europe for several months and doesn't want to go to any cities as such. If we drive for say three hours it only takes us to the French border or into Germany where he doesnt want to go... We can fly to Geneva and perhaps hire a car and drive around either Switzerland or into France, I love Annecy but I may hear cries of ' not another medieval city'. I thought about taking the train to Reims but it is five hours... Too long... So I know it is a long shot but has anyone got any brilliant ideas.. I have of course asked my son repeatedly to give me suggestions as to where he would like to go but so far I am not getting much of a response. Fair dues he has been working 13 hour days...

Just looking for inspiration.... the fact that he wants countryside most likely means we will have to rent a car which is not an issue.

Ideas please.... Cheers Schnauzer
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 02:18 AM

If he doesn't want to visit another part of the Netherlands then what about the Ardennes in Belgium? A couple of hours drive and plenty of countryside and lovely villages.
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 02:21 AM

Maybe this is the guide you are looking for? http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ite-things.cfm

If you would like to meet up, let me know! No idea if we will be around then of course but we could try.
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 02:23 AM

I think you DO need at least some input from your son.

Does he want to go sightseeing on that mini trip?
Does he want to relax and stay in one place?
Does he want to get active and do some hiking or else?

If he does not know much of the Netherlands or Benelux aside from Amsterdam yet, you find lots of nice "countryside" or rural sights right on your doorstep. Or in acceptable distance, e.g. in Belgium.
From the Frisian islands to the Ardennes or battlefields in Flanders.

If he just wants to relax and not be bothered by quaint old towns or big cities, you can try a CenterParc ;-)
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Heti and Cowboy some good ideas already...we had talked about the battlefields. Fromelles where the Aussies were is too far but I know there are plenty of other choices- unfortunately.

Hetismij2 I would love to catch up if you are around. I'm there from 26 th May to 11th June, with aforementioned mini trip somewhere in that time.

Thanks