Amsterdam over Christmas

Search

Amsterdam over Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam over Christmas

Hi all. Hubby and I have only a few days for a quick Christmas trip and want to go to Europe. We are thinking of Amsterdam from December 22 through December 26. Any thoughts on Amsterdam at that time of year? What is there to do and are attractions open in general over the holiday period? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Anyone out there with thoughts on Amsterdam at Christmas? If not then I guess we should look elsewhere for this short little vacation. Any ideas with only four days available, not counting two travel days, from the East coast? Thank you. Jackie
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Hi Jackie - I haven't been there over Christmas but I'm sure you'd find lots to do. Did you check this site:
http://www.holland.com/amsterdam/gb/

It lists a lot of practical information and things to do. It does mention that December 25 and 26 are national holidays so that might mean that sites may be closed. weather.com indicates that the average high is 42 and the average low is 33. Hope this helps a little. I'm sure you would be able to find lots of interesting things to do wherever you end up going. Have fun!
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:36 PM

hi im from nyc my fiance and i are going to amsterdam over christmas dec 23 -28 . i hear its amazing and we are very excited.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:51 AM

jdraper; I hope someone else can help you further here. I'm Dutch, but not from Amsterdam. The Dutch spend the holidays mostly at home, and December 25 and 26 a lot of things will be closed. I would check with specific museums or other places you want to visit, for opening hours. I would guess many are closed the 25th, but perhaps open the 26th, but check with individual attractions.
Amsterdam is a nice place to visit; it doesn't usually get too cold in winter, and there are lots of cosy bars, pancake houses etc. where you can warm up if it does.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Hi Jackie,
My husband and I are also going to Amsterdam for the first time around Xmas. Like you, one of my main concerns was whether or not things are going to be open during that time. Take a look at www.amsterdam.info. It has a lot of helpful info, including links to attractions with info on hours and the dates they are closed etc. Overall, it seems that many of the major attractions are open during Xmas and closed Jan 1.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Just found this - specific info about Xmas in Amsterdam!
www.amsterdam.info/events/christmas
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 05:03 PM

Take that extra windcheater, preferably ankle-long. When it turns cold and the wind howls down those grachten (canals), it goes right through you even if you thought you were reasonably winterized.

Hey, it's still a great place, even with a red nose and blue fingers.

WK
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 08:33 PM

Hi jdraper - We were in Amsterdam three years ago during the summertime, so obviously there was lots to see and do. We are thrilled to be going back, and like you and your hubby, we'll be there over Christmas. Granted, we will be staying with relatives (built-in resource! ) but this hasn't kept me from vigorously searching the Internet for all things Dutch and what to do there, especially in Amsterdam. I've found this forum to be particularly helpful, and some of the websites mentioned in this thread are ones that I've visited and found some good information. Enjoy your trip and stay in Amsterdam.