Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam or Haarlem or Leidenhotel with an elevator

Feb 14th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

I am trying to find a hotel with an elevator for Easter week. I have reservations in our favorite Hotel Agora, but the steps there are very steep, and I am not quite recovered from a strained back.
Feb 14th, 2004, 08:12 PM

Try Hotel Estherea, it is close to the Agora..
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. I am having trouble finding the hotel website. Does anyone know of any other hotels with elevators? I have emailed Canal House but I have not received a reply.
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:21 AM

Go to www.viamichelin.com.

Type in Amsterdam, Haarlem, or Leiden in the map slot for city and Netherlands in the next slot. When the city map comes up click on Hotels on your left. You'll get 15 choices with excellent location maps. The up/down symbol indicates an elevator. Slide the red bar on the right to zoom out or in to see more on the map. Use the Enlarge link to make the map bigger and suitable for printing.

viamichelin.com is a great site for most of Europe.

One caution: the Hotel Ambassade has several doors to the different canal side houses that make up this hotel, but there was only one house with an elevator in it when I was there some years ago.

BTW, Hotel Esterea recommended by TracyB is the first one listed for Amsterdam. Phone, fax, and email addresses are given. Michelin says "This hotel set away from the busy town centre, between the History Museum and Singel, includes several small adjoining units. Pleasant rooms." I suggest that the small adjoinng units may or may not have elevators so I would make sure your room is accessible by elevator when you make your reservation, and get it in the confirmation.
Feb 15th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your suggestion of
www.viamichelin.com.
I have used it before for maps but I never looked at the hotel feature. I really appreciate your help.
Feb 15th, 2004, 11:56 AM

I stayed in the Estherea less in 2002 and am quite sure all the rooms were accessible from the elevator. However, as in many European hotels, the elevator was quite small and in demand!