Amsterdam or Frankfurt

Mar 22nd, 1998, 02:50 PM
Mike

Amsterdam or Frankfurt

I'm traveling to Europe but must return to the states from either Amsterdam or Frankfurt (because of frequent flyer miles limitations). I'll be able to spend one day and night there. I've never been to either city. Can anyone suggest one over the other?

Mar 22nd, 1998, 03:13 PM
Arizona

It's a toss-up; both are excellent airports with every conceivable amenity. My personal preference is for Amsterdam because the city is not far away and is so interesting (despite the damage done to its charm and ambience by its hippie population). A short cab ride or a limo takes you to the center of things in minutes. Amsterdam is a city best explored on foot, especially the old quarter with its spider-web of 17th century canals and tall houses, leafy squares, and incomparable Indonesian rijstaffel restaurants.

Mar 22nd, 1998, 10:32 PM
Boris

I agree with Arizona. Frankfurt is too N American.

You can also take the train from the airport to the main train station in either city.

Mar 23rd, 1998, 05:19 PM
Mike

thanks, both of you, for your perspectives. Another thought, though: My traveling companions and I are of age, but will also have an 18 year old male along. Should we be concerned about Amsterdam's liberal reputation? Should we stay away from the infamous night life?

Mar 23rd, 1998, 05:26 PM
Mike

thanks, both of you, for your perspectives. Another thought, though: My traveling companions and I are of age, but will also have an 18 year old male along. Should we be concerned about Amsterdam's liberal reputation? Should we stay away from the infamous night life?

Mar 23rd, 1998, 08:02 PM
Boris

The red light district will sure open his eyes so you may want to stay away from it. Its to your left past the tour boats when you walk out of the train station. You may come across the odd prostitute in a window in other places but I wouldn't worry about them. Sure grass is available, but you can find it almost as easily throughout Europe.

Mar 23rd, 1998, 10:36 PM
Tricia

Regarding Amsterdam- my l8 year old daughter went on a walk with Dad thru Amsterdam while me (mom) was resting in room and she came back in tears and threatening to disown her father for showing her the red light district. It totally disgusted her and she is now a crusader for the poor women who get thrown into that kind of life. A boy may be able to take it better than a teenage girl but you know and he knows what he can handlle I walked all around and avoided it. Walked right through the hippies and no one bothered me. Schiphol airport has the best reputation of any European airport and you can even rent a room for a day at the airport. It has excellent restaurants. Enjoy the Anne Franke house and museums! Or take a quick jaunt up to Volendam, a cute touristy fishing village on the ocean.

Mar 24th, 1998, 04:38 PM
Arizona

Well, Tricia, I was sorry to read that your daughter was offended by one of Amsterdam's stranger sights.
About 20 years ago, while out for an evening's stroll, I came across a small crowd of middle-aged and elderly people, led by a tall gentlman carrying a Bible. As it turned out (I asked one of his flock what was going on), he was a Dutch minister taking folks on a tour of Amsterdam's "Red Light" district. He would wave at various of the ladies sitting in their little rooms, and they would wave back. Apparently, the good pastor was well-acquainted with many of these ladies of the evening. He spoke to his flock in Dutch, so I could not understand what he was saying, but it must have been very funny because they would hoot and laugh a great deal. A few years ago, when we were in Amsterdam at tulip time, we decided to walk through this district one evening. My wife had heard me describe this place, and she wanted to see for herself if what I had said was true. But time (and prosperity...and amateur competition) had changed things. Most of the little houses with the red lights were gone. The district is but a tiny fraction of what it was once. Many of the stores that sold odd sex trinkets, photos, other curious objects have been shuttered. Alas, we are seeing economics at work -- and free enterprise has taken it on the chin once again.

Mar 24th, 1998, 05:35 PM
Craig

Perhaps 18 is the right age for a young adult to see this new and strange side of the world, unless you have a red light district and lax pot enforcement in your neck of the woods. A city with faults, I never felt more comfortable away from home.
Frankfort is interesting, but bland. Strike out for an adventure in Amsterdam, just read up on it before you do.
By the way, I'm moving there this summer based on a similar trip I had. Experiences could change your life in many ways.

Mar 30th, 1998, 03:26 AM
Mike Sullivan

Quit reading my friend...Amsterdam. This answer has excluded all considerations of coffeeshops and red lights, you'll love the atmosphere.

Mar 30th, 1998, 07:33 PM
Y.Yang

I've lived in Frankfurt for four months and nearly gone out of my mind there. If Frankfurt isn't the most boring city in the world, it's in the running. I took every opportunity of my stay there to drive to Amsterdam every weekend.

Search this Thread