Amsterdam - looking for accommodation

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2005, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for accommodation for 5 people in Amsterdam for a weekend (Saturday-Tuesday) in June.

I would like to find something relatively central (easy access to restaurants/night-life) and preferably close to a tram line. I don't mind whether it's a hotel, B&B or an apartment. However, we require all separate beds (in a hotel, rollaways are fine).

We do not need anywhere with an onsite restaurant, pool or gym facilities or anything. Our main requirements are to get somewhere in a good location with our bedding requirements that is clean.

I realise Amsterdam is expensive for accommodation - if possible I would like to try and find somewhere less than €200 per night for the 5 of us.

Does anyone know any good websites for looking for accommodation in Amsterdam or can recommend any specific places that may fit our requirements?
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:55 AM

One, of several, is www.channels.nl which includes hotel reviews.
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:21 AM

Hotel Hestia lists a 5-bedded room, but it's 218Euro on their website. Contact them directly to see if they have any summer specials.
http://www.hotel-hestia.nl/

Old May 4th, 2005, 07:24 AM

Here is one more - your request is very difficult...

Hotel Vijaya - 155€
There may be a room w/ 5 separate beds, need to ask
http://www.amsterdamby.com/vijaya/pages/profile.htm
All our 30 bedrooms are equipped with a television, iron facilities, with shower/toilet all for your convenience.
Four / Five people rooms: A large size room with 4 or 5 single beds with full ensuite facilities.
Mostly good reviews on Tripadvisor (1 critic doesn't seem to understand that European hotels, especially in lower categories, do not change sheets on a daily basis).
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:27 AM

This place has a five-person room. It's a budget hotel, despite the title.
http://www.amsterdamhotelservice.com/hotels/touristinn/

If the site has no availability, contact them directly.
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great ideas so far. I have looked into some of these and sent off requests to check availability.

I came up with a ballpark figure of €200 earlier because that is roughly the nightly cost of two rooms I was counter-offered on Priceline at 4* (usually Marriott, Renaissance or Le Meridien) for our three nights. I'm sure I could undercut this counter-offer as well. I know there's no guarantee that we could accommodate three in one room this way.

The main reason I am put off Priceline is the location of Le Meridian which has come up a few times recently. You probably think this is insane given the quality of the Priceline 4* hotels compared with what we are looking at by booking through different means.
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Do any of your party have a connection through work to IBM in any way, as a customer, client, supplier, etc.? You can book an Amsterdam room through marriott.com using the code "XXX" (just like that) for 130 Euros per night including breakfast (at least for my August dates), and this can be a two-double-bed room. That would leave one odd person out, unless you could arrange for a rollaway.

I'm not doing this because I still think it's too much for two people (in my case), but it would be good for four. I think that price applies for four, but check it out.

I'm also considering Priceline, and the Le Meridien location does not look that bad - it is said to be in a lovely neighborhood, and you can either walk or take the tram to the center. Some of the cheaper fleabags which you might otherwise have to consider are no doubt in a less pleasant neighborhood.
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help.

As a cancellable backup we have a room booked at the Hotel Hestia (for €218 per night including breakfast and taxes). We can cancel this up to 24 hours before arrival if something else comes along. The location of this hotel looks excellent and the Tripadvisor reviews are also good, although I have little information of the 5-bed room.

The XXX code for the Marriott rate of €130 per night looks useful too. I will check out any connections the group have with IBM. I wonder what happens if you use this code and whether it's checked or not? The rate is very good and if we went for this we would get 2 rooms.

In the meantime, we will keep looking and possibly continue bidding on Priceline.
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:55 AM
MaureenB

We have reserved the Hotel Residence le Coin for our family in Amsterdam this June, after finding it recommended in a travel magazine article. I believe they have rooms with 5 twin beds, all with kitchenettes. They have been very helpful via e-mail and have good tripadvisor.com reviews.
http://www.hotel-bookings.nl/coin.html
Also looks like a great central canal location.

Old May 6th, 2005, 07:04 AM

We've stayed at Hestia a couple of times. We've also stayed at the Terdam Hotel around the corner - I think it's marketed as a Ramada Inn now. It's a very quiet backstreet area, but a short walk to Leidseplein for trams or taxis, and a quick walk the other way to enter Vondelpark. As far as that goes, we walk to the Museumplein from there, too.
The hotel is nothing fancy, but rooms and baths are clean - there is a tiny(!) lift which many small hotels do not have; the stairwell is fairly steep. The hallways might show a bit of wear. I've read somewhere that they might be updating the breakfast room/lounge area, hope they've finished with that by June.
Breakfast is breads, cheese, cold cuts, juice, coffee, 'fruit cocktail' - I think there is cereal, too. Basically, staff will bring you coffee, but you serve yourself all the food, toast your own bread, etc. They've had a cat in the past that wanders around the breakfast room - his name was Gregory.
We've been put in a room with 3 beds, even then it wasn't crowded. There are varying room sizes, so I imagine the 5-bed room is big enough to manage all the beds + the people, at least for sleeping and getting dressed. Maybe you won't all want to 'lounge' around in there at the same time...
If you want to take the Conexxion bus from Schiphol, it stops at the Golden Tulip, next to the Marriott on Stadhouderskade about 2 blocks before the Hestia.
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:48 AM

MaureenB, when we were just in Amsterdam a few weeks ago, we walked by the Hotel Residence le Coin.. I peaked in the lobby and it looked really nice..The location is nice as well. As we travel to Amsterdam quite frequently, we are always looking for new hotels to stay at..Let us know how the hotel was when you get back, and have a great time.
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:30 AM
MaureenB

TracyB, how considerate of you to let me know it looks nice! I appreciate it.

Their website looks nice and they are very helpful via e-mail, but still you never know till you get there... Their prices are reasonable, too, enough so that I booked two connecting rooms for our family of four instead of a family quad room. Usually I spare that expense, but having two TVs and two bathrooms with our 20-year-old daughter and 16-year-old son will be a rare luxury! Plus two kitchenettes.

They also offer a university rate, which we qualified for as my husband has a conference at the university while we're there. (I love a good deal.)

I will post a trip report about it. Thanks again!

Old May 6th, 2005, 12:01 PM

I stayed in a brilliant apartment in the heart of the city just last month. It's got two floors and it's lovely, but the only drawback for you would be that one of the rooms is a double bed. 200 a night is a bargain & you can see photos on the website:
www.amsterdamapartment.com
It's City Apt 1. The owner Niels is a charmer and goes out of his way to help you.
Old May 8th, 2005, 08:13 AM
ajs

If one of you is willing to sleep on a comfy couch (or you can take turns), Kathryn has the nicest apts. in Amsterdam. I've seen most of them, and they are top of the line. A little more than you were talking about, but for what you get, cheap. Go to:

http://www.piedaterreproperties.com/

Short Term

Check out Keizersgracht 519, it's here newest one, and it's at street level (a BIG plus).
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:49 AM

I stayed at Le Coin in April of 2003 and it was WONDERFUL! Great location, huge rooms with a kitchen and if you're lucky.... a canal view! I could have sat watching the activites around Munt Tower for hours. Be sure to have coffee and breakfast at the little cafe on the corner, I forget it's name but it's steps from the lobby and is also a great place for a beer in the afternoons! Enjoy Le Coin!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:25 PM

We were at Hotel Hestia about two weeks ago and the breakfast room is still being renovated, so it is a little cramped.

Other than the tiny (and incredibly slow) elevator, it is a great value. The manager, Marcel, is very helpful and the location, a quiet street 4 min walking from the bustling Leidseplein, is hard to beat. The Leidseplein is a major tram and bus stop, so it is easy to get anywhere in Amsterdam from the hotels in the area.

In the opposite direction from the Leidseplein is the Vondelpark. There are also several rental car outlets on nearby Overtoom street. So if you want to spend a few days in Amsterdam and then head out to see the rest of the country, you don't have to go back to Schiphol to get a car (and avoid paying the high airport surcharge on rental cars).
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:43 PM
MaureenB

Thank you, irishdame, for the enthusiastic endorsement. It helps a lot. I really look forward to this trip!

Do you mean the Cafe Kateon, where the hotel sends people for breakfast? (Although now the hotel offers its own continental breakfast on its premises.)

Old May 24th, 2005, 10:32 AM

Yes, Cafe Kateon is the one! Great coffee and a nice local atmosphere with the students from the university coming and going. Enjoy your trip MaureenB, I hope you fine Le Coin as wonderful as I did!
Old May 24th, 2005, 12:29 PM
MaureenB

Thanks again, irish! I'll post a report when we return from London-Paris-Amsterdam (lucky us!).

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 07:48 AM

4greenfields: We were looking at the "City Apartment" - any further insights?

Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -