amsterdam individual travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first time traveling alone. Anyone have any advice or previous experiences meeting people in hostels?

Should I expect to just hang out by myself? Or do hostels have activities for individual travelers?
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 12:30 AM

Don't know about Amsterdam specifically but in my experience you usually get talking to someone. Up to you whether you want to suggest linking up for a visit here or there, or going to the pub! And of course it depends how long you are staying.

Hostels do offer activities sometimes too - again don't know about Amsterdam.

Have fun.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 12:41 AM

When I was younger and stayed in hostels I always met people. I guess it depends on how old you are. Hostels are mainly for (but not limited to) young people and many of them travel solo. Have you looked at the thorntree forum which has a younger crowd who stay in hostels more than the folks on this forum.

My best advice is to be open and friendly and initiate conversations to meet up with others and sightsee or grab a bit to eat together. Often there is a reception area with internet access where people hang out. You can start conversations by asking if anyone knows where to get the best meals or if the canal boat tours are interesting and worthwhile or something like that.

Old Jan 24th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Hi,

I have been to Amsterdam 3 times.
In 2003 I went alone. It was no problem at all.

It was fun being on my own schedule.
When I wanted to be with people I would just keep a smile on my face and be approachable. I struck up conversations with people in coffeeshops,museums,and stores.

On the canal cruise I sat with another single gal.

I never felt out of place and I had a blast.

best of luck to you.
you will do fine..
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 10:40 PM

You can join walking tours - these are a good way to meet people. Google for the free Amsterdam walking tours (although tips are more or less expected at the end).
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 01:04 AM

It is darn difficult to be alone in Amsterdam. Any eye contact will probably find you in a conversation. I suggest meeting locals at cafes around the Spui. The Hoppe and Cafe Luxembourg are two of my favorites. You can nurse a coffee or a beer for a long time and will probably have a Dutchman insist on buying you a refill. Tourists are more likely to congregate at Leidseplein and Rembrandtplein.