Amsterdam Hotels

Aug 4th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Fair Oaks Jim

Amsterdam Hotels

Will be going to Amsterdam in November. Can anyone give recommendations on hotels (about $150 per night), restaurants, etc. I have checked the archive, so I have some ideas. Thanks so much. Fair Oaks Jim

Aug 5th, 2001, 09:00 AM
AC

Hi Jim:
I was just there in June. Email directly for some information.

Aug 6th, 2001, 03:39 AM
francesca

The Canal House is my favorite and the Hotel Washington is a superior second choice.

Aug 6th, 2001, 04:11 AM
s.fowler

The two hotels in that price range in the centrum area that get the best comments on this forum are Esthera and Ambassade.

Aug 6th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Julie

Also in your price range (breakfast included) and well located is the Hotel Agora. It's a small, comfortable canal-house and I happen to know that in 2000 they just remodeled. If it's important to you, I must warn you, there is no elevator and no restaurant. However, there are plenty of restaurants nearby. Info is:

Hotel Agora
Singel 462
Amsterdam 1017 AW
020/627-2200 phone
020/627-2202 fax
[email protected] or
home.worldonline.nl/~agora

I have stayed in a couple of other places (price ranges/locations) while in Amsterdame and this was my favorite.

Aug 6th, 2001, 05:18 AM
s.fowler

I'm afraid is am disagreeing with Julie's post on Hotel Agora. I stayed at there in March and would stay there again, but it is definitely a budget hotel -- canal view doubles coming in just under $120. And it lacks any charm whatsoever. In the price range being mentioned Hotel Esthera and the Ambassade are classier and more charming choices.

Aug 6th, 2001, 07:06 AM
Julie

Since S. Fowler has been to the Agora more recently than I have, you might want to take her advice. I didn't find it "charmless", but I had befriended some of the staff over the past few years and so maybe my opinion was a bit biased. In addition, I have heard wonderful things about the Hotel Esthera and the Ambassade which she suggests and it is certainly in your price range.

Aug 6th, 2001, 07:10 AM
s.fowler

Thanks for being so gracious Julie -- I too found the staff fabulous But aesthetically the hotel isn't equivalent to those in the $150. range. As I said I would stay there again -- you can't beat the location for sure! But if you are expecting finesse and style -- the otehr two will suit better.

Aug 6th, 2001, 09:33 AM
larisa

Krasnopolsky - on the same plaza as the Royal Palace, the center of the city, close to evewhere else.
In November it is chilly next to canals

Aug 6th, 2001, 10:27 AM
John

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza American-Amsterdam. Used to be the Forum American Hotel, recently bought and re-done by Crowne Plaza. The hotel is right at the Leidslpien tram stop. I got a great deal on the website www.crowneplaza.com, $140 a night for a king size bed, brekafast and canal view room!

Aug 6th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Annette

Since you are going to Amsterdam in November I'll suggest you take advantage of the Amsterdam Tourist Board promotion, Winter the Amsterdam Way (offered November 1-March 31). Of course, individual hotel rates are low at this time but the Tourist Board matches OR betters these rates AND gives you a cultural and Leisure pass worth $20.00. The pass includes museums, boat rides and other activities you will be interested in. The Estheria participates in this program, as do other hotels in various budget ranges. I stayed at the Estheria last December and was very pleased. The breakfast is wonderful and the staff are very polite. The location is great. To get a list of hotels participating in the Winter the Amsterdam Way promotion email [email protected]. You can book through them online. They will also send you a brochure through the mail which features a picture and description of most of the hotels in Amsterdam as well as one describing the Winter the Amsterdam Way program. The websites www.visitamsterdam.nl and www.visitholland.com might mention the promotion also.

Aug 7th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Danna

FOJ... WE loved the Hotel Washington, you can get the specifics from the Raves and Rants section here... in Museum District, close to Tram line, and musicians who are at the Concertgebouw often stay there... lovely and great staff... Have fun, but make reservations wherever you are going well ahead of time!

Dec 5th, 2001, 07:52 AM
alex

Please check this site :

http://www.amsterdam2001.com/

Feb 12th, 2002, 02:26 PM

Feb 12th, 2002, 04:08 PM
FairOaks Jim

I started this one and we actually went to the Canal House last November and loved it. A fantastic location. I loved being do close to the Anne Frank House. The canal view room we had was great. Only the breakfast was less than stellar.