Reload this Page >

How interesting is Berlin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Matt

I temporarily live in the other corner of Germany and never had any idea that Berlin could be a travel destination. It just doesn't seem like London, Paris, Rome, or even Prague. My wife and I have a 3 and 5 year old and we delegate ourselves to spending a week vacation in a city. Is Berlin worth it, or do you have another suggestion besides the cities I have already listed. Thanks

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Patrick

I finally made it to Berlin last year for five days and really loved it. We ran out of time and are now anxious to return. On the other hand, lots of friends really hated Berlin. You can't go expecting quaint and charming. If your favorite German experiences are visiting little towns like Rothenburg or Rudesheim, then you might not like Berlin either. But if you like vibrant and modern cities, Berlin should please. We found ourselves fascinated with the "divided Germany" sites. Spent half a day at the Checkpoint Charlie museum, loved walking the preserved section of the painted Berlin wall, and enjoyed the open bus tour of the east Berlin sites. But the modern architecture is striking, the restaurants and night life have a real buzz, and the surrounding area is great. Potsdam was very interesting --enjoyed touring a few of the "palaces" in the big park there and did a great boat trip on the lake and waterways.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Wayne

Matt--<BR>Berlin is great for action and recent history. The museums and sights are many, and there are lots of good day trips one can take from the city. But if I were to compare Berlin to the other cities you haven't yet visited, assuming you do want to go to a major city and are not restricted to staying inside Germany, I would strongly recommend you go to Vienna (first choice) or to Ljubljana, Slovenia (second choice) or Venice (third choice). Any of these will be a wonderful experience, and their uniquely different features will keep you interested and on the go for the full week. Day trips to nearby places of interest are also possible from the first two, but a little more awkward from Venice. Don't be put off by Slovenia; it's a beautiful country with very friendly people. Good luck.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 06:07 PM
joe

Good grief, go to Berlin. It's like London after the Great Fire or Paris during the second empire. It's a great city that's being rebuilt. When I was there in '97 many of the great 18th and 19th century buildings had been restored, plus a whole new city was rising.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Linda

Definitely go to Berlin! It is the history of the 20th century--from Olympic Stadium, Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, Pergamon Museum, Potsdam to Checkpoint Charlie Museum, Templehof Airfield (Berlin Airlift), InfoBox, Ka De We Department Store, Kurfurstendammstrasse. It has culture, shopping, tourist sites, good food and friendly people. You can drive south to Dresden/Meissen for a daytrip (2 hours drive). Stop at Hamelin on the way if possible, very nice little town and on Sunday afternoons, they reinact the Pied Piper. Not instead of Berlin but another city is Vienna--again lots of culture and great place. Budapest is interesting, Krakow is smaller but add Zakopane and the Auschwitz/Birkenau tour and you could keep busy for a week.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Lori

Go! Besides all of the history, etc., Berlin is a wonderful city! A great arts life/night life. I'd highly recommend seeing a light opera at the Komische Oper. We saw Die Fledermaus last year and it was one of the better performances I've seen. Great restaurants, fairs, etc. Something new all the time.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Lauren

I agree with the person who said, "Good grief. Go to Berlin!"<BR><BR>I spent two weeks in Berlin on a house swap last summer and absolutely loved it. It is not just all recent history. If you go out to Potsdam there is lots of old history too. In my opinion, Berlin should be right up there with London, Paris & Rome as a destination. The museums are fabulous, by the way, especially the one that has all the Picassos. It is better than the Picasso Museum in Paris because the Berlin one really explains it all. I learned so much.<BR><BR>I have an extensive trip report on my trip that I would be happy to share with anyone who emails me directly.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 01:47 AM
Mags

Yes, yes, yes go to Berlin! It is the greatest city I have ever been to. The combination of the astounding history, culture, beautiful architecture, parks, lakes, and friendly Berliners make it my ultimate most favorite destination. There is a beautiful mixture of old and new in Berlin. The history is overwhelming yet at the same time Berlin is a dynamic city that is constantly moving ahead. There is so much to do...visit the Tiergarten, Str. des 17. Juni, Siegessaule, Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, Ku'damm, Unter den Linden, ... Like someone else said, I am endlessly fascinated by the history of the Wall. I as well spent hours in the Checkpoint Charlie museum, and especially enjoyed visiting the Wall remains by Bernauerstr. and at the East Side Gallery. I, and everyone that I know that has been there, LOVE Berlin. There is no place I would rather be. Have a great trip!<BR>Mags

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Dianne

Matt,<BR><BR>I felt exactly the same way as you before I visited Berlin as part of a tour. I never would have thought of it as a place you'd go vacation, but it was great. If you're only in Germany temporarily, I think you should get there before you move on. They're supposed to have a good zoo that your children would surely enjoy, though I didn't have time to check it out.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 05:41 PM
JP

Berlin is fabulous. It is the only city in Europe without fixed closing hours which means the nightlife makes New York City look like a church social.