Amsterdam hotels

Search

Amsterdam hotels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam hotels

We are four adults in our late 50's/early 60's traveling to Amsterdam together for a week in March. Two in our party want to take advantage of the Hilton's winter rates to have club access, etc. I'd prefer to stay in the canal ring or museum district (most likely at the Estherea). Could any of you comment about the pros of staying at the Amsterdam Hilton (the Waldorf is too pricey)? I'm not keen on staying in a big box hotel in the outskirts of town, but maybe I'm misjudging it and the location is better than how it looks on a map.

Thanks in advance for your sage advice.
Old Dec 10th, 2016, 06:37 AM

It isn't the outskirts of town, but is a bit away from the canals it's true. A quieter area with easy access into the centre.
The "big box hotel" is actually on the monuments list and protected.
Old Dec 10th, 2016, 07:47 AM

Know nothing about the Hilton. We stayed in the Estherea and loved it. Would stay there again.
Old Dec 10th, 2016, 07:47 AM

The hotel's page says its 15 minutes from the Museumplein. Looks like just a few blocks from the tram line - which are easy to use. Perhaps you are going to other cities and could compromise. If the prices are good compared to staying in other hotels you've looked it, then I would stay there, but staying within the canal ring is very special.
Old Dec 10th, 2016, 08:19 AM

It's not that bad location although I would choose a place much closer to the center personally unless I am staying on my company's expense.
If a member in your party is not used to walking many miles, you would need to learn to use the public transit system, which is excellent. Just get a multi-day unlimited pass https://en.gvb.nl/ontdek-amsterdam/g...meerdagenkaart , often even sold by high-end hotel reception, and learn to use the check-in/out system. If your group is not a public transit type, you might have a problem as it is a hassle to get around even by taxi. The traffic congestion is very bad during the day.
Old Dec 10th, 2016, 08:50 AM

I took my hotel advice from Ballad of John & Yoko:

Drove from Paris to the Amsterdam Hilton,
Talking in our beds for a week.
The newspapers said, "Say what you doing in bed?"
I said, "We're only trying to get us some peace".

Hotel was cheap on Priceline, breakfast very pricey, and trams convenient.

(I also favor Paris'Hotel College du France because Thin mentioned it.)

Hilton also has a bit of history as former lover of someone in the Dutch royal fàmily was shot there - or something like that,
Old Dec 10th, 2016, 09:45 AM

John And Yoko were there in 1969. You can rent their room.

The widow of Prince Johan Friso was supposed to have had an affair with Kees Bruinsma before she met the Prince He renounced his right to any claim to the throne in order to marry her.
Kees Bruinsma was shot by the hotel, in 1991.

Herman Brood killed himself by jumping from the roof, in 2001.

If the price is good, better than in the centre then go for it. You may even appreciate being in a quieter area.
Old Dec 10th, 2016, 09:59 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
In the Canal Ring we really enjoyed the Hotel Ambassade and it's location on tne Herengraxht Canal.
Old Dec 10th, 2016, 09:59 AM

Stayed at that hotel for business after a weekend within the canal ring. I loved the Hilton as much as the canal ring. You can easily access the centre by tram, the hotel is in a quiet quite posh area of the city with good restaurants and shopping close by and the outside bar at the hotel is lovely...wide steps leading down to a canal. Had a glass of Chardonnay and some apple pie there every night one May and it was very pleasant. Easy taxi access to Schipol also. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.
Old Dec 10th, 2016, 10:04 AM

<i> Amsterdam hotels
Posted by: internetwiz on Dec 10, 16 at 10:30am</i>

For a good location and the antithesis of "big box" try the http://ambassade-hotel.nl/.
Old Dec 10th, 2016, 11:00 AM

Glad to see this discussion. I have a res at the Estherea in May. Friends just returned from Amsterdam and stayed i the Leidesplein (sp?) area. They said it was so noisy at night they had to wear their Bose noise cancelling earphones and still didnt get much sleep. This was in mid November! Are the canals really that noisy? Is Estherea in a quieter area? I know its on a main canal. I would have a courtyard facing room. Any experiences with noise at this hotel? I didnt see any reviews that mentioned noise problems.

Thanks!
Old Dec 10th, 2016, 11:40 AM

Leidseplein is noisy - it is the main area for nightlife.
SIngel will not be as noisy.
Old Dec 10th, 2016, 12:42 PM

Thank you hetismij2!
Old Dec 10th, 2016, 06:41 PM

I concur re Ambassade. You might look at the Pulitzer and the Torens.
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 09:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it would depends where exactly in the Leidseplein your hotel was located as to the noise situation. It's a large neighborhood.

To the OP I definitely would want to stay right in town. Amsterdam is a large city so even if you are somewhere central, there's still plenty of walking and tram taking you'll be doing.
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 10:31 AM

At the Hilton you have Beethovenstraat around the corner. A pro, I'd say. Leidseplein is horrible. Apollolaan, where the Hilton is, is much nicer and it's a pretty posh hotel. I went to many extravagant wedding parties there and the odd bar mitzvah haha. Oud Zuid is much nicer to stay than is the centre of town. Public transport is excellent and you'll have very easy access to the big museums.
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 06:42 PM

Don't wanna box? Treat yourselves to the cozy, beautifully-presented <b>Seven Bridges</b> smack on one of the smaller, quieter canals. Very residential area, walk to the Rijks Museum, the Diamond District...most anywhere of interest in the city. The Regulier Canal gives you a view of seven bridges, hence the name.

We discovered the small inn about ten years ago, loved it and have since sent several of our family onto it. (They all still talk to me!)

The hosts are delightful people and service is impeccable.
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 06:54 PM

https://goo.gl/photos/RVUAkuXcXVcetp3KA

SEVEN BRIDGES, PHOTO #2
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 07:01 PM

http://www.sevenbridgeshotel.nl/cms/
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 11:19 PM

The Amsterdam Hilton isn't a "big box hotel", but that has been pointed out already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -