Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Hotel or Airbnb - Neighborhood?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have booked Mauro Mansion is the Red Light District. Just not sure if it will be too loud, although it gets great reviews on tripadvisor. Also, wondering if we might enjoy the Pijp neighborhood or 9 streets? We will be in Amsterdam for only 3 nights so easy access is important. Also was looking at Generator Hostel. Any advice would be great. Mid 50"s but love a bit of action and also a nice park and coffee shop.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 01:45 AM

We stayed in the Jordaan district (in an Airbnb apartment) which is close to the 9 street area and loved it.

The area is beautiful to just stroll around. Some great little restaurants around the area too.

We found walking around very easy in Amsterdam. The only time got on a tram was to go to the Van Gogh Museum.

We did a red light district tour one night and I didn't think it was a loud - that may change though the later it gets.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 03:34 AM

Amsterdam is cracking down on AirBnB so you need to be careful if you go that route - you could end up on the street if the apartment owner has not obeyed the rules.

I don't know the hotel but I looked at the website. I hope you like stairs if you haven't got a ground floor room - they are probably very steep, with narrow treads!

When are you going? Will it cost you to cancel Mauro Mansion if you change your mind?

Do the reviews on Trip Advisor mention it being noisy? If not, and the stairs aren't a problem for you stick with what you have.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 05:03 AM

I stayed in de Pjip area in June this year and really liked it.. Easy tram ride into town and other areas or just walk. I didn't like Centrum at all... tourist tat and fast food but that's just me!

Got the Cook's tour of Generator hostel as my son works for them! Luxury Hostelling for sure. The rooms looked great. The food in the cafe was very good. I think they charge for everything! Bag storage etc... But I thought the overall facility was great, if I wasn't staying with said son I would have happily stayed there!

The Troppen Museum just around the corner was my favourite... So interesting and well set out. Enjoy.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 05:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know the hotel VERY well and stayed in it many times over the years when it was owned by different people and was a very different sort of hotel.

It may be "in the Red Light District" but you might never really know that." It is, literally, a couple of short blocks from the Centraal Station and fronts on a canal

This is a VERY quiet neighborhood both by day and by night. The hotel is a very easy and short walk to many places such as Dam Square, major tram line stops, etc.

I know a lot of people like to stay in different parts of the city and for lots of reasons so it really is a matter of preference. I can say no more than that.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 09:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
personal preference but for only 3 nights I would rather stay in a hotel (than try to arrange an airBnB in a city i am not familiar with).

I stayed at Hotel Kap and liked it fine.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 01:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Stayed near 9Streets on Herengraxht Canal, nice area.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 02:03 PM

Apparently, the Kinkerstraat area is now the upcoming neighbourhood.

Anyway, Gelderse Kade (Mauro Mansion) is pretty nice. It's not really "in" the red light district, but right at the edge of it. No hookers there, and the junkies shooting up near the Chemist's have long gone.

AirBnB in Amsterdam: don't do it. The city is cracking down on it, and there's a severe backlash from people in apartment buildings that have AirBnB hosts stealing social housing.

And people, please, it's TROPENMUSEUM, one P, not two.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 02:12 PM

You mention parks and coffeeshops. Not too far away from Geldersekade is the Hortus Botanicus, but opposite that is a park for those in the know, the Wertheimpark.

https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36733...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

coffeeshops, imo one of the best is coffeeshop Rusland, also the mothership, where the whole Amsterdam = Cannabis thing began, way back in the 1970s. Sacred ground...

I can also recommend 't Loosje, on Nieuwmarkt, a non-cannabis bar, and Cafe Bern, for an ultra quirky Swiss dining experience, also on Nieuwmarkt. Book ahead though, it's always packed.

http://www.cafebern.com/

btw, the location for Rembrandt's "the anatomy lesson" was the upstairs Theatrum Anatonicum at the Waag building.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 02:15 PM

sorry, I just forgot to point out Pension Homeland

http://www.cafebern.com/hotel-nl/

Also by Bern. If you feel the need to rebook, rebook there, it's really special. (plugging it once again, they should pay me by now)
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 02:27 PM

coffeeshops, imo one of the best is coffeeshop Rusland, also the mothership, where the whole Amsterdam = Cannabis thing began, way back in the 1970s. Sacred ground...>

Yup and also near the original Bulldog - along with Rusland's and Purple Passion I believe the first cafes to brave it and sell cannabis - the Bulldog took over the field.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 02:35 PM

Take a look at The Hotel The Exchange. Yes it is a really odd name but we had a good stay there. They have different price levels for rooms so you can pick what works best for you. It is a very short walk from the train station.

DS loved the Generator Hostels when he spent a semester abroad last year, FWIW.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 03:43 PM

The OP's choice of hotel is alright. No need for them to be worried about anything: it's a great spot and very convenient for Central Station.
Old Aug 14th, 2016, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the input. so funny, I have no idea what OP is or DS (assuming it's your son?) The reviews on tripadvisor are very good for the hotel. We are fine with the stairs although we will be riding 240 miles through Austria before we get to Amsterdam so we may have to crawl lol. Before I decide to make a final decision- The 9 street area looks really nice - any hotel or lodging recommendations? The one thing I did like about Mauro Mansion is that it is so close to Central Station. With only 3 days, I like that I can take the train to and from the airport. Thanks for all the tips
Old Aug 14th, 2016, 09:54 PM

OP = original poster, ie you!

9 streets area is a short walk from your hotel. Doesn't really matter where you stay. Go with the one you have booked.
Old Aug 14th, 2016, 10:30 PM

i must also say, nine streets is now commercialized to the point of irrelevance. that's been a process of about 2 years, so people who remember it from 5 years back would be mightily surprised today by how the big brands have moved in, pushing out all the independent, quirky shops. all of central amsterdam is now becoming the domain of icecream/waffle shops. gelderse kade, on the other hand, is still somewhat authentic.
Old Oct 18th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Just an update to our stay. Loved Mauro Mansion. On a beautiful quiet canal but 2 min to central station and close to great neighborhoods. Beds were amazing and we had a nice table overlooking the canal in our room. Didn't care for the red light district but we were able to avoid it for the most part. Highly recommend a day trip to Harlem. Great city!