Amsterdam Hotel for special wedding anniversary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to Amsterdam to celebrate a special wedding anniversary this year. This is one city that we have not been to and have both always wanted to visit. We are planning a long weekend over the Memorial Day weekend. Any suggestions for nice hotels? We would like something special, but that being said, I don't think either of us would like to spend more than $300 - $350 a night. (we have other trips planned for this spring!) Any suggestions?
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:35 PM

If I could pick ANY hotel in Amsterdam for a real splurge, I think I would choose the InterContintental:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/...amsha?irs=null

It's a little over your target rate, but perhaps a deal could be found.

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 06:20 PM

For any occasion I will always stay at Canal House. Great area, beautiful quaint hotel, and costs around $150 a night!

Clea
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 06:33 PM

I've stayed at the American Hotel, on a little canal just off the Leidseplein, and enjoyed the hotel and its location, close also to my favorite seafood restaurant. Good luck and congrats on the anniversary.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 07:57 PM

I suggest you consider the Ambassade. Get a top floor room facing the canal. The Ambassade is unique, and romantic.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:09 AM

I'd absolutely recommend a stay at the Dylan(formerly the Blakes). It's a small and very intimate hotel and the most exclusive place to stay in Amsterdam. On the downside rooms are quite small but the service is faultless. Official room rates start at 405 euros but you might find a better deal on the net, or on the special offers part of their site www.dylanamsterdam.com . I can ensure you won't be dissapointed.

The Amstel Intercontinental is also stunning but much bigger. It has a lot facilities to offer and rooms are excellent.
I'd definetely pick one of these two!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:40 AM

sqskybed; Is Blakes no more then? Didn't know that. Have they changed it much? And what about the restaurant; I always liked that.

I would also suggest the Amstel, if you can get a room at that rate. Otherwise maybe l'Europe, or the Pulitzer.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:45 AM

Agree with hopscotch.
Ambassade is very special and the staff is most accommodating. The rooms are all very different, so let them know it's an anniversary, and they will find something to suit. Terrific classic Canal Ring neighborhood too.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:22 AM

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Sofitel Grand (www.thegrand.nl) Our first trip we tried Hotel L' Europe, didn't care for the rooms but we never miss going to Freddy's Bar in the hotel, the Grand has a great central location and a very comfortable feel, great pool area with turkish bath and sauna that no one ever uses but me it seems. I also second the Ambassade for great value for the dollar, i actually have two of my employees going there Feb 1 for six nights as a bonus, great place, we just prefer the Grand.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:06 AM

Yes, the Grand is very good too. The courtyard is a haven of peace right in the centre of Amsterdam. This building used to be the old town hall of Amsterdam. People can get married there; so maybe it's appropriate for a wedding anniversary!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:12 AM

Tulips: They just changed the name, the hotel didn't change and yes, I'm glad about that, the restaurant hasn't changed. I don't know why they changed the name but I always liked the name Blakes. Perhaps they thought it lead to confusion because you also have a Blakes in London, also designed by Anouska Hempel. The owner, the Stein Group, also didn't change.

By the way, The Stein Group is opening a new hotel this March, called the College hotel. I don't know what it's like but the impressions on their site www.thecollegehotel.com look quite exciting! This new hotel will feature 40 rooms, with flat screen tv's, video on demand, private coffee facility by Nespresso and Zenzone amenities. Roomrates for a double room start at 275 euros.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions. Our trip is not until May, but I have booked a room at the Ambassade. I told them that it was for a special annivesary and they told me that I would have a very nice room with a canal view for 195 Euro per night. The other places that were recommended were significantly more expensive. I will hold onto that reservation for now because the hotel seems to fit the bill for us and the rooms look nice. And we decided to 'splurge within limits' because we are taking a trip to Prague/Vienna/Budapest with our two teenagers in April! Thanks for the help, Susan
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Well, I thought that I was through, but I have been looking at other hotels and thought that I would ask this question again. Any other ideas? What about Banks Mansion, or Estherea? or the Sheraton Pulitzer? I can get good rates at all of these. Or should I stay with Ambassade?

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Sounds to me like you have good rapport with the Ambassade, plus a good rate compared to your original post. Why mess up a good thing? But if you just want to save money on a three day stay there are plenty of other places to sleep in Amsterdam. Check out www.viamichelin.com.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Hopscotch - I actually was not looking to save money. I had budgeted a bit more and I was wondering if maybe I should spend a bit more for a nicer place. Something between Ambassade and let's say Blakes or the Intercontinental. Any ideas on such a place?
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 04:16 PM

Dear Susan56,
I would say the Estherea is a notch below the Ambassade. If you got one of their most "superior" rooms, one on the top floor, canal view, a small balcony (I think only 1 or two rooms have this), with the brass chandeliers, then it would be a nice experience. But most of their rooms are "standard". I stayed in two different rooms at the Estherea on my last trip, and did not like either one, and I am not a fussy traveler. Unfortunately, they were not able to move me, since my stay coincided with the arrival of a large tour group and the hotel was also in the midst of a major structural renovation. I did get a look at a couple of the superior rooms, though, and even in that category the bathrooms were not the equal of the Ambassade.

I have not stayed at the Pulitzer, but friends of mine have. The Pulitzer has great rooms for someone on a company-paid expense check. The suites are very popular with businesspeople. However, the less expensive rooms are much below the suites in terms of amenities and space. Or so say my contacts who have tried both at the Pulitzer.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you dovima, that is useful information. I had read some similiar types of comments re the Pulitzer on Tripadvisor. How about The Grand? They just offered me some fairly good rates. I am afraid that it might be like the Pulitzer, the meeting rooms could be nice as well as the upscale rooms, but what about a standard canal view room?
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:21 PM

We stayed at the Pulitzer in July 2003, and thought it was very nice -- great room overlooking the canal - very large, all amenities, etc. It was booked through Starwood and involved a pretty good deal (otherwise it is pricey) but I do think it was well located and very nice.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 06:22 PM

We <i>adored</i> the Pulitzer, its location and staff... but we might not have as much if we'd stayed in the first (non-canal view) room they gave us.