Amsterdam hotel advice

Mar 2nd, 2014, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Amsterdam hotel advice

We have plans to fly to Paris in July for 5 nights and then take the train to Amsterdam for 3 nights. This is our first visit to both cities. I have booked our Paris hotel based on postings on this forum, but haven’t found much on hotel advice for Amsterdam – are there any definitive threads I am missing or any advice you can give me? We are hoping to spend under 130 Euros per night, and obviously be in a location good for first-timers. It sounds as though we should be careful to have air conditioning too. We do like the feel of B&Bs, but I noticed that many require a non-refundable deposit. Also, do I understand correctly that there are two taxes applied, each about 5%? Thanks in advance!
Mar 2nd, 2014, 07:31 PM

Hotel Torens?
Mar 2nd, 2014, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Looks great - but it's 220 euro per night!
Mar 2nd, 2014, 08:12 PM

Try the Hotel Fita. Not a fancy place but run by the nicest people and well located by the museums.
Mar 2nd, 2014, 10:28 PM

A long time since I stayed at either of these, but they still seem to be getting good reviews:

Estherea:
http://www.estherea.nl

NH City Centre:
http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotel...amsterdam.html
Mar 3rd, 2014, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I will check these out. Any idea how humid or hot it might be in late July -- i.e. how important is air conditioning?
Mar 3rd, 2014, 05:56 PM

Amsterdam is great for using Priceline's NYOP. Head over toTripAdvisor and the Netherlands forum. You'll find threads called "Bidding on a 4 star..." and "Bidding on a 5 star...". You can usually get a room for $100 USD a night or less. Don't be shy to ask for help... the regulars there know the game and are happy to help.
Mar 3rd, 2014, 06:53 PM

Amsterdam hotel advice
Posted by: GinnyJo on Mar 2, 14 at 10:27pm
We have plans to fly to Paris in July for 5 nights and then take the train to Amsterdam for 3 nights. We are hoping to spend under 130 Euros per night, and obviously be in a location good for first-timers. It sounds as though we should be careful to have air conditioning too.

Hotel Ambassade on Herengracht. Don't look at the price. Just give them your credit card. Unique and in an excellent location. Get a room overlooking the canal.

Air conditioning in Amsterdam?! You might need an electric blanket instead.
Mar 3rd, 2014, 07:21 PM

I have to say, that's not practical advice, but it is my favorite hotel in Amsterdam. Sadly, haven't stayed there in many years, too many.
Mar 3rd, 2014, 10:22 PM

>>Air conditioning in Amsterdam?! You might need an electric blanket instead.<<

It can get hot and humid in July and August, just as it can in Paris or London. But rarely, I think, enough to be oppressive inside a hotel room. It might depend what you're adapted to in your home climate.
Mar 3rd, 2014, 11:41 PM

This is our "go-to" hotel in Amsterdam, the Avenue Hotel. http://www.hotelavenueamsterdam.com/...FagKwwodgRUAFg

Centrally located, easy walk from the train station, and air conditioning to boot!
Mar 4th, 2014, 05:43 AM

We loved Hotel Aalders - on quiet residential street a stone's throw from Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum and tram line. Great staff.
Mar 4th, 2014, 07:19 AM

If it is hot and humid open the window like the Dutch do.
Airco is very very rarely an improvement over an open window, and the window is much better for the environment.
Mar 4th, 2014, 08:57 AM

My recommendation is only for neighborhood. I really didn't like the central area around the Dam, RLD, etc. but *LOVED* the part of town for the canal rings, Leidseplein and Vondelpark. I hear Jordaan is very nice too.

130e is low for Amsterdam so that will be a bit of a challenge. I stayed at Hotel Kap and liked it OK. It's showing 119e for July double rooms with private bath. Nice breakfast included.
http://www.kaphotel.nl/en/
Mar 9th, 2014, 02:22 PM

Wiechmann, "old fashioned" and family run.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Province.html

Around 140 euros.

It borders on Jordaan, rather good location.